Seat Problem on EZ Sport

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mark P, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!

    The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps hitting
    the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took it
    to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility of
    the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for a
    while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having the
    same problem again.

    Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    simply different on that bike.

    If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Slugger

    Slugger Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mark P
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    > was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!
    >
    > The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps hitting
    > the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took it
    > to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility of
    > the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for a
    > while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having the
    > same problem again.
    >
    > Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    > able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    > problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    > simply different on that bike.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
    >
    > Mark

    Congrats on your EZ-Sport. I have one myself and I really love it. I
    have never had that problem. I have about 1 inch clearance between the
    bottom bar of the seat back and the seat base foam. Check to see if you
    have a similar clearance between the two. Otherwise its possible that
    someone put it together wrong. You might also try moving you seat back
    down further. That will get you a nice angle to get away from the bar.
    Also you may be too close to the pedals. Try moving the seatbase back
    some also. It took a while to dial in the seat perfect for me.

    Come to think of it. The seat base might be too far forward on the
    screw holes. Just a possibility anyways.

    Cheers!

  3. Stonegrift

    Stonegrift Guest

    I have an EZ-1 SC and I went and looked at the picture of the Sport on
    the easyracer web site. The one glaring thing I can see is the angle
    of the back brace bars. On the EZ-1 you almost have to keep the seat
    in an amost completely upright position. The Sport with it's bigger
    rear tire gives the possibility of having more of a tilt to the back.
    Perhaps you need could try adjusting the seat to a more vertical
    position.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:20:51 GMT, Slugger <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Mark P
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    >> was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!
    >>
    >> The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps hitting
    >> the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took it
    >> to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility of
    >> the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for a
    >> while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having the
    >> same problem again.
    >>
    >> Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    >> able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    >> problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    >> simply different on that bike.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

  4. Stonegrift

    Stonegrift Guest

    I have an EZ-1 SC and I went and looked at the picture of the Sport on
    the easyracer web site. The one glaring thing I can see is the angle
    of the back brace bars. On the EZ-1 you almost have to keep the seat
    in an amost completely upright position. The Sport with it's bigger
    rear tire gives the possibility of having more of a tilt to the back.
    Perhaps you need could try adjusting the seat to a more vertical
    position.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:20:51 GMT, Slugger <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Mark P
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    >> was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!
    >>
    >> The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps hitting
    >> the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took it
    >> to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility of
    >> the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for a
    >> while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having the
    >> same problem again.
    >>
    >> Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    >> able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    >> problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    >> simply different on that bike.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

  5. Ohio Jerry

    Ohio Jerry Guest

    "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    > was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!
    >
    > The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps

    hitting
    > the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took

    it
    > to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility

    of
    > the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for

    > while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having

    the
    > same problem again.
    >
    > Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    > able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    > problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    > simply different on that bike.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
    >
    > Mark

    I think the seat is like the one on my wife's EZ-3. It uses plastic clips
    that
    you squeeze to release for keeping thestraps tight. If the strap on the
    adjustable side of the clip is threaded through the slots incorrectly they
    will slip under tension. I think there are some small ridges molded into the
    slots. They are supposed to bite into the strap to keep it from slipping. If
    this
    end of the clip is installed wrong side to the back, the ridges may not
    contact the
    strap in the right place.

    On the EZ-3, the left (adjustable) strap runs along the front side of the
    clip
    past the left slot, goes through the right slot, loops over the bar between
    the
    slots and goes into the left slot. The end of the strap should then be
    pointing to
    the left and should be pressed against the clip by the piece of itself
    mentioned
    in the previous sentence. (Whew !) This way the harder you pull, the tighter
    it holds.
    Supposedly.

    Jerry

  6. Ohio Jerry

    Ohio Jerry Guest

    "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I bought an EZ Sport last year and overall have been thrilled with it. It
    > was my first bent purchase and I waited too long to make the switch!
    >
    > The only real problem I have with my EZ Sport is that my back keeps

    hitting
    > the rear metal bar behind the seat, especially when I hit a bump. I took

    it
    > to my dealer, and they tightened all the straps to reduce the flexibility

    of
    > the seat (I think there are 4 straps total), and this did seem to help for

    > while. However, after riding for about 10 miles, I noticed I was having

    the
    > same problem again.
    >
    > Before buying the EZ Sport, I found a place that rented the EZ-1, and was
    > able to use the EZ-1 several times for extended periods. I never had the
    > problem of my back hitting the bar on the EZ-1; I assume the design is
    > simply different on that bike.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
    >
    > Mark

    I think the seat is like the one on my wife's EZ-3. It uses plastic clips
    that
    you squeeze to release for keeping thestraps tight. If the strap on the
    adjustable side of the clip is threaded through the slots incorrectly they
    will slip under tension. I think there are some small ridges molded into the
    slots. They are supposed to bite into the strap to keep it from slipping. If
    this
    end of the clip is installed wrong side to the back, the ridges may not
    contact the
    strap in the right place.

    On the EZ-3, the left (adjustable) strap runs along the front side of the
    clip
    past the left slot, goes through the right slot, loops over the bar between
    the
    slots and goes into the left slot. The end of the strap should then be
    pointing to
    the left and should be pressed against the clip by the piece of itself
    mentioned
    in the previous sentence. (Whew !) This way the harder you pull, the tighter
    it holds.
    Supposedly.

    Jerry

  7. Daemeon

    Daemeon Guest

    I have two of the EZ-3USX trikes from two different shops and both have the
    same problem. I keep tightening them until now they are noticeably
    stretched. The material and design appear to be no good. I am working on a
    solution but in the mean time I am using foam tubing to cover the tubes to
    make them rideable.

    news:[email protected]