Seat/Saddle Setup

Ed

Guest
The only think that limits me from riding is an uncomfortable seat. After about 15 miles (and many
stand-ups/re-adjustments along the way), I'm thinking more about my butt, than the ride. (I only
ride about 75 miles a week - and that may be the real problem.)

I'm on saddle number two, bought a couple months ago. It's much better than the original gel seat
that came with the bike, but it still doesn't make it.

I'm thinking that it's only adjustment, but maybe not. I've read all the ways to properly adjust the
seat -- height, pitch, front-back position, and have played the game making minor and major
adjustments every time I ride.

Here's what I've noticed. Using the "level" seat position, everything seems fine, but if I sit up
straight (or try no hands), I sense that I am sliding forward. This feeling was with both seats that
I have tried so far. So, I've recently pitched the new seat up, so that I don't sense that forward
slide feeling, but now, I end up with numb nuts after about five miles (like someone shot me with
novacaine).

Even with the seat pitched slightly up, I still notice that when I re-adjust my position (while NOT
trying to sit up straight), that it feels like I still have slid forward and my shorts have
tightened up --- you know, it's a slight relief to slide back a bit in the seat. What I haven't done
(yet) is to pitch the seat up even more, so that I don't feel the squeeze play at all (might try
this today).

I thought that maybe the seat was too far back, so yesterday, I moved it forward quite a bit, but I
didn't detect improvement.

Anyway, that's the general story. I suspect there is no easy solution because everyone's butt is
different and every saddle is different.

Any suggestions (besides taking a cab)?

Ed

"Ed" wrote:
> I'm thinking more about my butt, than the ride. (I only ride about 75 >
miles a week - and that may be the real problem.)

That's pretty decent mileage. How many total miles have you done over the last several months? A
couple of hundred miles are usually required to toughen up your butt each year. I assume you're
wearing padded bike shorts.

> I'm thinking that it's only adjustment, but maybe not.

It probably is related to fit . Make sure the saddle isn't too high, and that your weight is
supported by your sit bones.

Is this a road bike or hybrid/comfort type? A more upright position is good for your back/neck but
not not for your butt.

You have to look at your overall bike setup which includes seat height, fore/aft position, tilt, bar
height, top tube length, and stem extension.

See: http://www.sbraweb.org/setup.htm

If all else fails, try a third saddle.

Art Harris

Ed wrote:
> Here's what I've noticed. Using the "level" seat position, everything seems fine, but if I sit up
> straight (or try no hands), I sense that I am sliding forward. This feeling was with both seats
> that I have tried so far. So, I've recently pitched the new seat up, so that I don't sense that
> forward slide feeling, but now, I end up with numb nuts after about five miles (like someone shot
> me with novacaine).

I've been through pretty much the same things earlier this year. I noticed that the feeling of
sliding forward dissapeared after a while and now I feel really comfortable with the saddle pointed
slightly downwards. Anything higher including a level saddle gives me numb nuts.

--
Perre

Harris wrote:
> "Ed" wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking more about my butt, than the ride. (I only ride about 75 >
>
> miles a week - and that may be the real problem.)
>
> That's pretty decent mileage. How many total miles have you done over the last several months? A
> couple of hundred miles are usually required to toughen up your butt each year. I assume you're
> wearing padded bike shorts.

I started riding (again) about four months ago. Started at about 50 miles per week. Now 75. Yes, I
wear padded shorts.

(Glad to hear that low mileage probably isn't the problem.)

>>I'm thinking that it's only adjustment, but maybe not.
>

> It probably is related to fit . Make sure the saddle isn't too high, and that your weight is
> supported by your sit bones.

I clearly understand the height issue (too high -- rocking hips), and have tried it lower than the
ideal height, but still no luck.

I think that when I pitched the seat slightly up, I am now sitting on my sit bones (but that's why I
mentioned this sense of forward slide when I sit up straight --- and the sense (fact) that my shorts
are pulling tight even with the seat slightly up. I keep thinking that I'm still gradually sliding
forward and that's the clue. In fact, that's why I moved the seat forward yesterday to see if that
would improve it.

> Is this a road bike or hybrid/comfort type? A more upright position is good for your back/neck but
> not not for your butt.

It's a Trek 790 hybrid, and I'm leaning forward. (I'm 5'-7" & 151#) I've tried changing the
handlebar height (once) with no noticable difference.

> You have to look at your overall bike setup which includes seat height, fore/aft position, tilt,
> bar height, top tube length, and stem extension.

As I mentioned, I understand all of this, but because I was uncomfortable with the ideal setup, I am
now in the trial & error mode.

The other possibility is that this is the wrong bike (fit-wize) for me.

> See: http://www.sbraweb.org/setup.htm
>
> If all else fails, try a third saddle.

Yeah, I know, but the process of selecting a new saddle is tough. When I got saddle #2, I found the
very comprehensive survey/rating at the mtbreview website. Based on that, I went to the store
planning to get a WTB (forget the particular model). At the store, I found a bike with that saddle
-- sat on it for a short period of time -- and didn't like
it. I ended up getting a Performance Forte (because it looked nice). They did say that if I didn't
like it, I could return it. I've had it about a month so am reluctant to return it. Besides, it
is better than the original gel saddle. Bike stores should have a batch of "test drive" saddles
that they rent out. Then, there is no guilt trying/returning/trying/returning/etc. Then, if you
buy one, you get your rent $ back. (There I go --- besides slipping off the seat, I'm slipping
off topic.)

Thanks - Ed

> Art Harris

I went through many saddles as well. I found the SERFAS saddle the one for
me. However keep in mind that saddles are different for each individual so keep trying till you
find one that fits the best for you. "Ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The only think that limits me from riding is an uncomfortable seat. After about 15 miles (and many
> stand-ups/re-adjustments along the way), I'm thinking more about my butt, than the ride. (I only
> ride about 75 miles a week - and that may be the real problem.)
>
> I'm on saddle number two, bought a couple months ago. It's much better than the original gel seat
> that came with the bike, but it still doesn't make it.
>
> I'm thinking that it's only adjustment, but maybe not. I've read all the ways to properly adjust
> the seat -- height, pitch, front-back position, and have played the game making minor and major
> adjustments every time I ride.
>
> Here's what I've noticed. Using the "level" seat position, everything seems fine, but if I sit up
> straight (or try no hands), I sense that I am sliding forward. This feeling was with both seats
> that I have tried so far. So, I've recently pitched the new seat up, so that I don't sense that
> forward slide feeling, but now, I end up with numb nuts after about five miles (like someone shot
> me with novacaine).
>
> Even with the seat pitched slightly up, I still notice that when I re-adjust my position (while
> NOT trying to sit up straight), that it feels like I still have slid forward and my shorts have
> tightened up --- you know, it's a slight relief to slide back a bit in the seat. What I haven't
> done (yet) is to pitch the seat up even more, so that I don't feel the squeeze play at all (might
> try this today).
>
> I thought that maybe the seat was too far back, so yesterday, I moved it forward quite a bit, but
> I didn't detect improvement.
>
> Anyway, that's the general story. I suspect there is no easy solution because everyone's butt is
> different and every saddle is different.
>
> Any suggestions (besides taking a cab)?
>
> Ed

"M": the sliding forward sensation can be caused by having your saddle too far forward. This puts
too much weight-- or your bodies "balance point"-- in front of the bottom bracket. Try the seat
level, but further back. Regards, AL