Seat/Seatpost Creaking

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
So I just bought a new Lemond Tete De Course and have an incredibly irritating creaking noise when I am in my saddle only. When I am out of the saddle, it goes away so I am convinced that it has something to do with my seat or seatpost. Could greasing the seatpost help? What else could it be?

rudycyclist said:
So I just bought a new Lemond Tete De Course and have an incredibly irritating creaking noise when I am in my saddle only. When I am out of the saddle, it goes away so I am convinced that it has something to do with my seat or seatpost. Could greasing the seatpost help? What else could it be?
Could also be the clamps onto the seat rails and/or the clamp securing hardware. Make sure they all have grease and are properly torqued.

daveornee said:
Could also be the clamps onto the seat rails and/or the clamp securing hardware. Make sure they all have grease and are properly torqued.

yes the clamp/one allen screw that fastens the seat to the seat post on my bike did the same thing. All it took is a little tightening of the screw and problem solved.

gemship said:
yes the clamp/one allen screw that fastens the seat to the seat post on my bike did the same thing. All it took is a little tightening of the screw and problem solved.
I think it's more than just tightening that screw. I believe it's tight already. If it was loose, the saddle would be moving and it's not. If I hold my seatpost while I'm riding, I can feel the creaking (if that makes sense).

rudycyclist said:
I think it's more than just tightening that screw. I believe it's tight already. If it was loose, the saddle would be moving and it's not. If I hold my seatpost while I'm riding, I can feel the creaking (if that makes sense).
Doesn't matter if you think it's tight. Back it right off, grease lightly (best to use carbon assembly compound where carbon components are involved) and then torque up correctly. Same goes for the seatpost clamp.

If you can't do this yourself because you don't have the equipment, take it to the LBS. It's a new bike, right, they should do it for you anyway.

rudycyclist said:

I suppose that makes sense but sometimes those things defy common sense. Mine was tight but not tight enough. It was wierd because at first it didn't seem like the seat moved at all then I thought it may of been somehow broken in two beneath the seat cover. It would make a audible click/creaking you describe. I just tightened that one screw. :rolleyes:

Who knows, yours could be different. If you don't have the tools or feel apprehensive to do something that may make it worse then certainly bring the bike back to the shop and have them fix it. In fact that's the best thing you can do. Pain in the but however they should do it for free along with a adjustment or two as it is a new bike ;)

Ha, yeah funny thing is that I'm sponsored by a shop about 60 miles away (that's where I got the bike) and I have been going to my local shop which is only 5 miles away. But they're pretty cool about fixing stuff for free as I frequently stop in and buy stuff.

Anyways, I believe the seatpost needs a greasing. I'm really nervous about this because I've read about all the horror stories of greasing/lubing seatposts. The head mechanic said there's some grease he has that has little plastic beads in it that is recommended for carbon stuff, like seatposts. So I'm going to ride it a little bit after work and see if that helps. If it doesn't, would getting a Ti seatpost make the creaking go away? I really don't care what I end up with on my bike as long as it stays quiet. The creaking is all the time and incredibly annoying when riding.