Seat Stay Rear Lights?

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
Have any of you used a rear light attached to your seat stays?

I rode with a bike club last year and noticed a few riders using them: they look pretty streamlined and simple, which appeals to me. Not sure, but I believe they must be made by Serfas... the "TL-ST Seat Stay Bike Light."

I'm just wondering what the general feedback is for these types of lights.

randochap said:
There are many lights that attach to seat stays. I use Planet Bike lights (illustrated here) in addition to the larger light on my rack.

Hey!

I use a bag quite a bit while I ride, and since I'm constanting parking my bike, I'd rather not leave any lights or anything on my bike. Do the planet bike lights clip to bags well or are they just meant to be on bikes?

Thanks!

Dansky said:

I'm just wondering what the general feedback is for these types of lights

I have them on all of my bikes and find that they are very common where I live. The Cateye TL-LD270 or ones that look like it are what I have myself or see the most. I personally like this type of light, as they are small and seem to be effective in alerting cars. I always use mine in the blinking mode, as I feel it catches the attention of drivers best.

RADBOT 1000 | Portland Design Works

Twice as bright as the PB Super Blinky. Comes with clips for seatstay, seatpost, rear rack & bag or helmet clip (exact same clip that Planet Bike uses). Three modes, including one that will have cars miles away wondering what the cops are up to way ahead.

Dansky said:

I rode with a bike club last year and noticed a few riders using them: they look pretty streamlined and simple, which appeals to me. Not sure, but I believe they must be made by Serfas... the "TL-ST Seat Stay Bike Light."

I'm just wondering what the general feedback is for these types of lights.

NiteIze...

OldGoat said:
RADBOT 1000 | Portland Design Works

Twice as bright as the PB Super Blinky. Comes with clips for seatstay, seatpost, rear rack & bag or helmet clip (exact same clip that Planet Bike uses). Three modes, including one that will have cars miles away wondering what the cops are up to way ahead.
The Radbot looks similar to the Planet Bike I have, but twice the power (PB has a 1/2 w LED). Several of my buddies use the DiNotte 1w taillight, with rechargeable battery pack. It's a great light, but retails around $140 IIRC.

Forgot to mention relative to the Radbot 1000 above, that it also has a built-in reflector. In this regard, it's similar to (but much more powerful than) the Cateye TL-100AU, which is apparently only sold in the UK. Until I saw (and purchased several of) the Radbot, I'd been contemplating having Evans Cycles in the UK ship me several Cateyes; glad now that I waited.

Reports of a few on/off switch issues with the first batch of 500 Radbots manufactured have been dealt with by Portland Design Works, who have indicated that they will fix or replace defective units without charge. (There's a Youtube video of a guy having trouble turning his older unit on; there are also several online videos comparing the PB Superblinky to the Radbot--it's no contest!) The switch has been redesigned for the more recently manufactured units now on sale. All of mine work flawlessly, as do those I've purchased as gifts. I would purchase again without hesitation.