Seat

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mpt, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Mpt

    Mpt Guest

    Hi I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    Thanks!

    This N.G. is so cool.

    ---

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Yz%[email protected]
    01.sprint.ca:
    > I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    > suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    Could be a problem with your rear end, not the seat.

  3. Saddles are a very personal thing, and the "perfect saddle" will be different for every rider. There
    is no way, even from the most detailed posting, to tell you which saddle will work best for you. The
    best bet is to try out different ones till you find what works best.

    I like the Brooks B17, myself. Other people say it's too wide, and go for the ass cleaver types,
    which I can't stand (or sit), personally.

    Everybody's butt's different. Talk to your LBS people, tell them the kind of riding you do, and show
    them basically how you sit on the bike. If they're competent shop keepers, they'll at least be able
    to steer you in the right direction.

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    > suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    As others will surely tell you, the shape of the saddle and its match to you are more important than
    its padding.

    Furthermore, some will say to just grin and bear it; that you'll get used to it if you put in enough
    saddle time.

    But since we all like what we like, I'll suggest Selle Royal as a manufacturer of nicely padded
    saddles in a range of sizes. They all feature some amount of viscoelastic gel located so as to
    make the most of the available squish. If what you truly want is a soft but supportive seat, they
    are a good bet.

    Selle Royal own Brooks, who make leather saddles that feel very hard to the touch but nonetheless
    provide a comfortable place to sit. I have had better luck with them than with padded saddles.

    Just look around, try a good prospective saddle and switch out as you see fit. Commit to the
    "interview process" until you have a saddle you really like. Finding it will greatly increase the
    value and pleasure you get from your bike.

    Don't let anybody decide for you what saddle you will ride!

    Chalo Colina

  5. > Hi I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's
    as
    > hard as steel!!! Any suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    Could be other factors, not just the seat. Many people find saddle discomfort miraculously goes away
    once they start wearing lycra cycling shorts. Another factor could be your position on the bike; a
    different stem (higher, shorter, etc) can most definitely have an effect on saddle comfort.

  6. Finding 'the right' seat is about as personal as finding a wife. :)

    Generally, I have found that if a seat feels really comfortable when you first sit on it, it begins
    to get UNcomfortable after 10 miles or so down the road.

    Lewis.

    "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Yz%[email protected]>...
    > Hi I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    > suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > This N.G. is so cool.
    >

    > ---

  7. Mpt

    Mpt Guest

    Thanks everybody for the reply. Very helpful suggestion!! "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]>
    > Finding 'the right' seat is about as personal as finding a wife. :)
    >
    > Generally, I have found that if a seat feels really comfortable when you first sit on it, it
    > begins to get UNcomfortable after 10 miles or so down the road.
    >
    > Lewis.

    > "MPT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Yz%[email protected]>...
    > > Hi I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's
    as
    > > hard as steel!!! Any suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > This N.G. is so cool.
    > >

    > > ---
    > > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.488 / Virus Database: 287 - Release Date: 05/06/2003

    ---

  8. Harris

    Harris Guest

    MPT <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    > suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    A soft cushy seat is great if you're only looking to ride 5-10 miles. For longer rides a firm saddle
    is better. Have you been riding regularly? Unless you have ridden a couple of hundred miles, I would
    give the saddle more time. Not that the saddle needs to break in, but you do!

    Also make sure your bike fit is correct, and that your weight is on your sit bones.

    If it still hurts after 200+ miles of regular riding, try another saddle. My favorite is the Selle
    San Marco Rolls Classic.

    Art Harris

  9. MPT-<< I just got a trek 8000. Everything is fine except the bike seat. It's as hard as steel!!! Any
    suggestion on a good and comfee replacement?

    Use bike shorts with a pad?

    Has the bike been fit to you?

    Does the bike shop where you purchased the bike have a saddle replacement policy?(it should)

  10. Lewis-<< Finding 'the right' seat is about as personal as finding a wife. :)

    Nope, finding a wife was easier....