Seating 'awkward' tyres.

Paul

Guest
Does anyone has any tricks for seating tyres. I have two Vredestein Scarabs
(26x1.75) and although they are not particularly tight on the rims they are extremly difficult to
seat correctly. At various point around the rim the rim line on the tyres, which should
remain equidistant from the rim, disappears below the rim.

The effect of this is a very bumpy ride (almost like riding on oval wheels). My first course of
action will be to replace my rim tape which is loose, badly fitting rubber and which I think is
probably sliding around during fitting and interfering with the seating, for some decent cloth tape.

Somebody has also suggested using soap to lubricate the rim and then pumping the tyres up to max.
pressure so that the bead slips into place.

I was wondering whether anyone else has any useful tips on fitting and seating tyres. The Scarabs
are standard steel bead tyres and the rims fairly cheap Rigida Alloy.

Thanks for any thoughts, Paul.

Paul wrote:
> Does anyone has any tricks for seating tyres. I have two Vredestein Scarabs (26x1.75) and although
> they are not particularly tight on the rims they are extremly difficult to seat correctly. At
> various point around the rim the rim line on the tyres, which should remain equidistant from the
> rim, disappears below the rim.
>
> The effect of this is a very bumpy ride (almost like riding on oval wheels). My first course
> of action will be to replace my rim tape which is loose, badly fitting rubber and which I
> think is probably sliding around during fitting and interfering with the seating, for some
> decent cloth tape.
>
> Somebody has also suggested using soap to lubricate the rim and then pumping the tyres up to max.
> pressure so that the bead slips into place.
>
> I was wondering whether anyone else has any useful tips on fitting and seating tyres. The Scarabs
> are standard steel bead tyres and the rims fairly cheap Rigida Alloy.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, Paul.

Pump the tyres up as hard as they'll go, leave for a few minutes, use soap on the rims if you think
it'll help. ;) Then deflate the tyres to just inflated enough to stay properly on the rim, then
bounce the wheels around a bit, then pump up normally.

If the tyres are still out of kilter, then release air pressure and manually force the sidewalls
out, 'roll' the tyre in the direction required .. ;)

;) ;)

--

Completed 1705 Seti work units in 12954 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
PS, Extra Smileys in my posts are to bug K Man .. ;)