Seatpost 31.4mm

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
I note that my bike's seatpost is spec'ed at 31.4mm. What does this mean in terms of replacements? I note that the vast majority of 3rd party seatposts are 27.2mm, followed by fewer 31.6mm models. It's almost impossible to find any specific 31.4mm models off the shelf. Is the 0.2mm difference going up to 31.6mm that significant? Should one consider 27.2 to 31.4mm sleeve adaptors?

Thanks.

It all depends on what type of post you want.
Carbon?
Aluminium?
Suspension?
Zero offset?

Most Ladies Bikes have Suspension seat posts. :D

gclark8 said:
It all depends on what type of post you want.
Oh, just looking for a nice alloy one. But the key issue is whether I absolutely have to get a 31.4mm post to fit, or would 31.6mm work also in the seat tube? And whether a 27.2mm one can be nicely fitted with a sleeve? :confused:

sogood said:
Is that a commonly used solution?
That is an obscure diameter, so no. But they are perfectly fine, just find a seatpost as close as possible to the diameter, but not above. If a shop has a cheap 31.6 spare, ask if you can test it to check the fit.

sogood said:
I note that my bike's seatpost is spec'ed at 31.4mm. What does this mean in terms of replacements? I note that the vast majority of 3rd party seatposts are 27.2mm, followed by fewer 31.6mm models. It's almost impossible to find any specific 31.4mm models off the shelf. Is the 0.2mm difference going up to 31.6mm that significant? Should one consider 27.2 to 31.4mm sleeve adaptors?

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my Bianchi. Ritchey do a Comp V2 seat post in 31.4, after a painstaking search. Thre are a few others available, but it's a really rare size. Personally, I would avoid shims, if it's possible to get the right size of post, which if you search long enough from internet suppliers, it is.

Pinarello makes a 31.4mm seatpost. You can order it directly from them too. :rolleyes:

KellyT said:
I had the same problem with my Bianchi. Ritchey do a Comp V2 seat post in 31.4, after a painstaking search. Thre are a few others available, but it's a really rare size. Personally, I would avoid shims, if it's possible to get the right size of post, which if you search long enough from internet suppliers, it is.

Hi So Good,

I just checked one of my trade catalogues:
Kalloy Seat Post Alloy Silver Micro-adjust Length 350mm
available diameters include 31.4mm!

This is available to any LBS in Aus. ;)

The Kalloy one is fine but weighs a ton. If you are worried about an extra couple of hundred grams, then don't, but if not go for it. Good luck.

Thxs Bobby. I am concerned about the weight if there are much better alternatives. Well do a comparison. :)