Seatpost Clamp Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by milwaukeehaze, May 17, 2006.

1. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

I want to put a QR seatpost clamp on my Giant NRS Comp 2 and I have a 27.2 Thomson Seatpost right now. Short of taking the existing bolt-on clamp off to measure it, would I use a 28.6 or 30.0 mm clamp diameter?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. nerdag

nerdag New Member

If its 27.2 post, then chances are its a 31.8mm clamp.

HTH,

nerdag.

3. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I think you are correct. My frame is carbon and by the looks of the thickness of the edges of the seatpost hole (that the current seatpost collar surrounds) it is about 2 mm thick, so adding 4 mm to the 27.2 post, the diameter would be 31.2 and adding in some play, 31.8 would be right.

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Do not use a Quick Release clamp on a carbon frame. :eek: Use only the clamp supplied and tighten only with a torque wrench to the specified tension!!

5. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

Do you know what the reason is to not use a QR clamp? I normally don't use one, but occasionally I want to transport my bike inside the back of my SUV using a floor-mounted fork mount, but the seat needs to be lowered to fit. I just the thought the QR would be the easiest way.

6. nerdag

nerdag New Member

George is right.

It's too hard to control the amount of torque you should use, making it easy to crush top of the carbon seat tube.

Not sure of any solutions to your dilemma.