Seatpost - does it make any difference?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by LeDomestique, Sep 11, 2007.

1. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

I'm currently riding an Alu frame and while its not uncomfortable by any means, I'm wondering if a full carbon (as opposed to my current carbon wrapped) seatpost will make any difference in the ride.

Any experience in this area?

thanks

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Not really but they look cool and that's about it unless you have the most sensitive a** in the world.
    I have one and it looks cool!

4. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

Mmm...interesting. I thought it would make at least some difference. Guess I was wrong then.

Oh well...I'll be 200 au$ richer then....

cheers

5. Camilo

Camilo New Member

If you really want a new seat post, buy a good quality aluminum one, spend $50 - $70 USD. The carbon post will look nice (if you like carbon), but will make not one wit of difference in comfort. It MIGHT make a miniscule amount of difference in weight, although good quality aluminum posts have equivalent weight for half the cost. I'm speaking from experience w/ aluminum and carbon posts - the carbon post didn't make any difference that I could feel. Now, tires and handlebar tape - those things WILL make a difference!

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The right saddle will make the most difference in comfort.

7. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

What difference do you want? Having asked that, the only difference that you'll get is bling, and greater destroyability in a crash. The latter could be an advantage, as it could spare your frame.

8. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

I'm not into bling. I dont race either. Just wondered if a carbon seat post could offer a smoother ride than my current alum one.

I guess I'll try a couple of 25 mm tyres instead of my usual 23 mm.

9. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

the only slight chance you have of the post making any difference is if you have a sloping or compact frame with heaps of post showing

10. alpha2k

alpha2k New Member

Then how about Titanium seat post?

11. lbraasch

lbraasch New Member

in terms of weight, strengths or vibration dampening? You're going to pay an arm and a leg for something that ultimately will not make a huge difference over aluminum.

I hear that carbon to some people can make a difference, but I honestly believe that it's their imagination. A good pair of riding shorts will make up the difference, and save you money in the long run.

12. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

A good pair (or two) of cycling shorts will cost MORE than a Carbon seat post and last much less :D

13. lbraasch

lbraasch New Member

however, a good pair of riding shorts will actually make a noticable difference.

14. kevinbob

kevinbob New Member

i used to have a carbon seatpost, one of the ones that come stock on specialized bikes with 'zertz' inserts. then i switched to a thomson seatpost. ironically, the thomson was lighter and the ride didn't feel any better. also i think zertz is just another gimmick by specialized.

15. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

touché

16. Camilo

Camilo New Member

If 28's fit, try a good quality of 28's. The comfort factor will be significant, and I really doubt you'd notice the weight or rolling difference. In fact, in some situations, the 28 (or 25 if you go that route) might actually be better for speed because they will be smoother over the bumps and more comfortable to ride quicker. I do notice that rough chip seal does indeed slow me down -both because I tend to slow down because of the discomfort,and I also think it phyisically slows down the wheels. Worth a try anyway. I've used 28s a couple of times and have been very happy with them.