SEATPOST FACEOFF: SYNCROS, THOMPSON, TITEC, others...

puma

Jul 23, 2003
So I guess I would have made this a poll, but this matter, like most, is a bit too complex and dynamic for that. Plus I, like most, enjoy and find the the commentary more informative. So, without futher ado, which seatpost do you happily own/would like to own? Also, which material is do you think is better/best in terms of durability and strength (I'm not too concerned with weights, especially if it means sacrificing the integrity of such a critical piece)?

Personally, I like the Syncros. A sidenote question...is the carbon composite of these posts actually stronger than of the 7075-T6 Aluminum?

I have a Syncros (Ti) which I understand is discontinued... I've owned it now for approx. 10 yrs. and have no complaints! As far as I'm concerned ya can't beat the twin bolt clamp design for dialing in the proper seat angle. ;) The '04 Tête de Course I have on order is coming with a Thompson, so I'll be curious to see if I can perceive any differences in ride quality between the two.

Originally posted by puma
So I guess I would have made this a poll, but this matter, like most, is a bit too complex and dynamic for that. Plus I, like most, enjoy and find the the commentary more informative. So, without futher ado, which seatpost do you happily own/would like to own? Also, which material is do you think is better/best in terms of durability and strength (I'm not too concerned with weights, especially if it means sacrificing the integrity of such a critical piece)?

Personally, I like the Syncros. A sidenote question...is the carbon composite of these posts actually stronger than of the 7075-T6 Aluminum?

Corima 25.0 (1 month) (use in reverse for TTs) (maybe 200 miles)
USE Alien Carbon 25.0 (15 months) (about 7000 miles road use)
Generic 25.0 (15 months) (no real use)
Thomson 27.2 (8 months) (back up for TT on second bike) (500 miles?)
Campy Chorus 27.2 (four years) (8000 miles?)
American Classic 27.2 (seven years) (5000 miles? on older bike)

Miscellaneous MTB and other road seatposts

I weigh 165 on a good day.
All have been fine so far. I like the Thomson's and Corima's ease of adjustability, using very different systems.

Originally posted by Look381i
Corima 25.0 (1 month) (use in reverse for TTs) (maybe 200 miles)
USE Alien Carbon 25.0 (15 months) (about 7000 miles road use)
Generic 25.0 (15 months) (no real use)
Thomson 27.2 (8 months) (back up for TT on second bike) (500 miles?)
Campy Chorus 27.2 (four years) (8000 miles?)
American Classic 27.2 (seven years) (5000 miles? on older bike)

Miscellaneous MTB and other road seatposts

I weigh 165 on a good day.
All have been fine so far. I like the Thomson's and Corima's ease of adjustability, using very different systems.

Addendum to last post:

I live in Macon, GA, home of the Thomson factory. It is or was a fabricator for aerospace components. I ride with some of the engineers there. Knowing them and having taken the plant tour, I can tell you with some confidence that the design and manufacturing standards and quality control are extraordinary. I wish that everything I owned was made as well.

Originally posted by puma

Easton EC90. Had for a few months and no complaints.

My TCR came with an aero-style which had very limited adjustability, so that's why I changed.

Pricey, I guess, but was easy to set up, and has everything I could desire: weight, looks, and hopefully durability.