Seatpost grease

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Trealaw Boy, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?

    I have trawled the Web and have discovered there is conflicting advice. Some sites suggest white
    lithium based products, others clearly recommend non-lithium gease. I also recall reading something
    suggesting that lithium can spark a chemical reaction that actually causes a seat post to stick.

    Clarity and any other recommendations are gratefully received?

    Thanks

    Trealaw Boy

    Tags:

  2. "Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > ..... I also recall reading something suggesting that lithium can spark a chemical reaction that
    > actually causes a seat post to stick.....

    But if you are cunning you will power your rear light off the electricity produced.

  3. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    In uk.rec.cycling Trealaw Boy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?
    For situations where seizure is undesireable (eg. seatposts, quill stems/ quill->ahead adapters
    and bottom brackets) use copper grease. For everything else, use a good quality automotive or
    marine grease which may or may not be lithium based.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  4. [email protected] schreef ...
    > In uk.rec.cycling Trealaw Boy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?
    > For situations where seizure is undesireable (eg. seatposts, quill stems/ quill->ahead adapters
    > and bottom brackets) use copper grease. For everything else, use a good quality automotive or
    > marine grease which may or may not be lithium based.

    Apart from that: removing said parts twice a year and regreasing them helps, too. In that case the
    actual kind of grease is not overly important IMHO.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Marten Hoffmann wrote:

    > Apart from that: removing said parts twice a year and regreasing them helps, too. In that case the
    > actual kind of grease is not overly important IMHO.

    There's a lot of truth in that.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Trealaw Boy wrote:

    > Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?
    >
    > I have trawled the Web and have discovered there is conflicting advice. Some sites suggest white
    > lithium based products, others clearly recommend non-lithium gease. I also recall reading
    > something suggesting that lithium can spark a chemical reaction that actually causes a seat post
    > to stick.
    >
    > Clarity and any other recommendations are gratefully received?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Trealaw Boy

    I've used lithium and non-lithium greases with equal success on seatposts. FWIW, Vaseline would
    probably work. <G>

    Barry

  7. In rec.bicycles.tech Frank Burke <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Use a lithium lubricant. It may stick, but you won't be as depressed about it.

    nah, lithium is a mood stabiliser not an antidepressant.

    sssshhh. details, people, details.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  8. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Trealaw Boy wrote:
    > > I have trawled the Web and have discovered there is conflicting advice. Some sites suggest white
    > > lithium based products
    >
    > Are you sure they suggest that for seatposts in particular? That's the type that'll cause problems
    > there if any of them will, I think.

    And apparently you aren't supposed to grease carbon fibre seatposts at all. Guess which muppet found
    that one out the hard way? :-(

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?
    >
    > I have trawled the Web and have discovered there is conflicting advice. Some sites suggest white
    > lithium based products, others clearly recommend non-lithium gease. I also recall reading
    > something suggesting that lithium can spark a chemical reaction that actually causes a seat post
    > to stick.
    >
    > Clarity and any other recommendations are gratefully received?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Trealaw Boy

    If you use lithium will that allow you to achieve warp speed ?....oh no, that's dilithium crystals
    innit?.... Any idea how to make dilithium crystals out of lithium grease ?...and how you might be
    able to utilise them in cycling to achieve warp speeds ?

    Dave. (never greased a seatpost in me life, guv. Never suffered from a stuck one either for that
    matter...)

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:49:08 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you use lithium will that allow you to achieve warp speed ?....oh no, that's dilithium crystals
    >innit?....

    Remember Pons and Fleischmann and the great room temperature fusion debate back in the 80s? Their
    experiment used lithium electrodes which were often referred to as dilithium crystals :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:49:08 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >If you use lithium will that allow you to achieve warp speed ?....oh no, that's dilithium
    > >crystals innit?....
    >
    > Remember Pons and Fleischmann and the great room temperature fusion debate back in the 80s? Their
    > experiment used lithium electrodes which were often referred to as dilithium crystals :)

    Palladium wasn't it? (not as funny I know...)

    cheers, clive

  12. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:26:58 +0000 Trealaw Boy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone offer definitve advice on greasing a seatpost?
    >
    >I have trawled the Web and have discovered there is conflicting advice. Some sites suggest white
    >lithium based products, others clearly recommend non-lithium gease. I also recall reading something
    >suggesting that lithium can spark a chemical reaction that actually causes a seat post to stick.

    Any grease at all will be fine. The object is to exclude water and oxygen and limit corrosion.

    The comments about lithium based greases are BS and urban legend. Ignore them. There is no basis in
    fact for this contention. The lithium in lithium grease is bound up in an almost completely inert
    compound, and will not react with anything.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  13. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:21:08 -0600, Jim Adney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The lithium in lithium grease is bound up in an almost completely inert compound, and will not
    >react with anything.

    So why is it there?

    Bob

  14. Call me Bob wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:21:08 -0600, Jim Adney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The lithium in lithium grease is bound up in an almost completely inert compound, and will not
    >> react with anything.
    >
    > So why is it there?
    >

    > Bob

    From http://www.lubricants.co.uk/lithiumgrease.html

    Lithium Grease The term Lithium Grease can be slightly misleading as the lithium content is actually
    the thickener used to thicken the oil content to make it a grease as opposed to an oil. The
    formulation of a lithium grease includes a mineral or synthetic base oil, combined with a lithium
    thickener, and other additives, to suit special applications.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Call me Bob wrote:
    > > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:21:08 -0600, Jim Adney <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The lithium in lithium grease is bound up in an almost completely inert compound, and will not
    > >> react with anything.
    > >
    > > So why is it there?
    > >

    > > Bob
    >
    > From http://www.lubricants.co.uk/lithiumgrease.html
    >
    > Lithium Grease The term Lithium Grease can be slightly misleading as the lithium content
    is
    > actually the thickener used to thicken the oil content to make it a grease as opposed to an oil.
    > The formulation of a lithium grease includes a
    mineral
    > or synthetic base oil, combined with a lithium thickener, and other additives, to suit special
    > applications.
    >
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    So, it's not to help the rider achieve warp speed then ?... :-(

  16. "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Call me Bob wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:21:08 -0600, Jim Adney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The lithium in lithium grease is bound up in an almost completely inert compound, and will not
    >>> react with anything.
    >>
    >> So why is it there?
    >>

    >> Bob
    >
    > From http://www.lubricants.co.uk/lithiumgrease.html
    >
    > Lithium Grease The term Lithium Grease can be slightly misleading as the lithium content is
    > actually the thickener used to thicken the oil content to make it a grease as opposed to an oil.

    Hey I wonder if you could use engine oil and flour, sorta roll your own.

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:08:06 -0000, "Clive George"

    >> Remember Pons and Fleischmann and the great room temperature fusion debate back in the 80s? Their
    >> experiment used lithium electrodes which were often referred to as dilithium crystals :)

    >Palladium wasn't it? (not as funny I know...)

    According to my good friend Professor Higson, it was Lithium. He wrote the control system (on a BBC
    model B!). But we may, collectively, be misremembering.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:07:22 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:08:06 -0000, "Clive George"

    >>> Remember Pons and Fleischmann and the great room temperature fusion debate back in the 80s?
    >>> Their experiment used lithium electrodes which were often referred to as dilithium crystals :)
    >
    >>Palladium wasn't it? (not as funny I know...)
    >
    > According to my good friend Professor Higson, it was Lithium. He wrote the control system (on a
    > BBC model B!). But we may, collectively, be misremembering.

    AIR, it was Palladium. There was a spike in the palladium price at around the time of the
    "discovery"

    Lithium wouldn't be the best thing to use as electrode in water (heavy or not) anyway.

    Tim.

  19. In rec.bicycles.tech Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
    : AIR, it was Palladium. There was a spike in the palladium price at around the time of the
    : "discovery"

    it was most definitely palladium. a palladium-deuterium system. i was a physics undergrad at the
    time and remember it fondly ;-)

    a quick google search turns up;

    http://world.std.com/~mica/cftsci.html

    : Lithium wouldn't be the best thing to use as electrode in water (heavy or not) anyway.

    well, as good as sodium, eh? boom.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  20. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    try searching "DIY" in tech! nulltimate answers for indefinite amelioratives! on a hypor kinetic
    centripitol level off course. maybe another program? essence discovery?