Seatpost mounted rack

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by xxamr_corpxx, Aug 30, 2007.

1. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

I've been trying to find a seatpost mounted rack to carry a rackpack so I can build a fast summertime commuter. I like the look of the "Zefal Quick Rack" on probikekit.com but it looks too small to carry my current bag. Does anyone know of where to get a larger one? My LBS has no seatpost racks except grossly overpriced topeak ones at 3x the cost of the PBK one.

Tags:

2. nerdag

nerdag New Member

Don't have any experience with seatpost racks per se, but FWIW, Topeak racks are quite well constructed, in my experience.

I've used cheaper racks before (Axiom in particular), and after about 6 months of daily commuting, they've literally fallen apart. My current Topeak, however, has been going strong for about 18 months, and still looks as solid as the day I bought it.

For some things, you do actually get what you pay for, and I think racks are one of those areas.

n

3. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

As nerdag says the Topeak is one rack/bag combination to look at. I have one of the seatpost mounted racks from Topeak and a corresponding bag and find it useful during the warmer months and where the load is not that big.
    The positives to the Topeak range is the quick release mounting system. Very quick and easy without having to fiddle with several velcro straps (although these are included) and a good range of bags and accessories.
    The only minor gripe I have is the size of the quick release lever on the seat mount. If it is locked in horizontally I find my leg rubs against it at each pedal stroke. I do have big thighs however.:D
    The maximum capacity from memory is about 9kg for the seatpost rack. I think this goes up slightly if you use the detachable (optional) side supports.

4. Halcyon1

Halcyon1 New Member

I use a Topeak seatpost rack on my full sus MTB and it is good and strong. Methinks you will get what you pay for.
    Halcyon1

5. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Alrighty then, thanks for your advice. I'll take the plunge and get a topeak seatpost rack. Cheers!