seatpost runs wild and wont hold!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by The Blue Randon, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Dear bicycle friends

    My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
    1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
    the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
    of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only ride
    Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon
    Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my holy
    grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and really
    working Fox Brain setup.

    As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
    into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper.
    I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.

    I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the seat
    tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and
    it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track
    or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side to side. The only
    thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say it simply I cant
    ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very
    disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

    Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    real bicycle junky.

    Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
    problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

    Thank you and Stay safe.

    Lonny Drees

    Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

    P.S.

    I will ride Paris-Brest-Paris on 18 august 1200 Km non stop on my Specialized Allez so its still the
    bike brand for me!! Sorry for my poor English

    Tags:

  2. Chris Hobbs

    Chris Hobbs Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn
    > side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute.
    > To say it

    I had a similar problem on a bike once. Assuming the seatpost is the right size for the seat tube,
    the problem could be that the seatpost binder bolt is stripped, preventing it from fully clamping
    the tube. If you can, remove the bolt completely and examine it for stripped threads. I actually
    couldn't get mine out, because it was so badly stripped, and had to have it cut out with a hacksaw.
    Replacing the bolt solved the problem immediately.

    Hope this helps!

    --
    _ _ _ Replace "heyyou" with "chris" to reply
    ___| | __ _ _ __ | |__| | ___ | |__ | |__ ___ ___ _ __ __ _
    / __| |/ _` | '_ \| __ |/ _ \| '_ \| '_ \/ __| / _ \| '__/ _` |
    | (__| | (_| | | | | | | | (_) | |_) | |_) \__ \| (_) | | | (_| |
    \___|_|\__,_|_| |_|_| |_|\___/|_.__/|_.__/|___(_)___/|_| \__, | __/ |
    |___/

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
    >problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

    Three things to consider:

    1. Wrong size seat post. 0.2 mm off is more than enough to cause the post to slip.

    2. Seat post bolt bottom out against itself. Sometimes the seat post clamping bolt has a shoulder or
    if it two piece the shaft bottoms out before it is tight.

    3. Is it properly greased.

    jon isaacs

  4. >Zeke<

    >Zeke< Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Here in the USA we would take it back where it was purchased and have them repair it or replace it
    free of charge.

  5. "Chris Hobbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn
    > > side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute.

    <---cut--->

    Dear Sir

    Thanks for your anwer. The bike is two days old and the seatpost is the standard issued seatpost by
    specialized on the Specialized Epic so i asume its the right size post! I dont see anything strange
    on the seatpost clamp. This was also issued with the bike and is two days old.

    The seatpost is greased with vasaline by the Bicycle shop mechanic, maby there is to much grease? Is
    that possible??

    Thanks again and i apreciate it very much.

    Stay safe

    Lonny http://www.lonnyspecpol.com

  6. "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Dear Sir
    >
    > Thanks for your anwer. The bike is two days old and the seatpost is the standard issued seatpost
    > by specialized on the Specialized Epic so i
    asume
    > its the right size post! I dont see anything strange on the seatpost
    clamp.
    > This was also issued with the bike and is two days old.
    >
    > The seatpost is greased with vasaline by the Bicycle shop mechanic, maby there is to much grease?
    > Is that possible??

    Why don't you take it back to that mechanic?

  7. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear bicycle friends
    >

    > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    > appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
    > 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
    > the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
    > of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
    > ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
    > carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
    > holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
    > really working Fox Brain setup.
    >

    > As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
    > into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized
    > Rockhopper. I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.
    >

    > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side
    > to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say
    > it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am
    > really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.
    >

    > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    > years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    > great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    > real bicycle junky.
    >

    > Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
    > hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
    > enjoy the Epic.
    >

    > Thank you and Stay safe.
    >

    > Lonny Drees
    >
    > Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
    >

    > P.S.
    >

    > I will ride Paris-Brest-Paris on 18 august 1200 Km non stop on my Specialized Allez so its still
    > the bike brand for me!! Sorry for my poor English

    the first and most obvious thing to do would be to take the bike back to the dealer and have them
    take a look at it. sounds like the seatpost may be the wrong diameter. if the size is right and the
    dealer cannot fix it to your satisfaction, try putting some valve lapping compound on the post. you
    can find this at any auto parts store. i'm a 235# clydesdale and used to have some problems with
    post slippage when i would hit an unseen obstacle on my mountain bike while riding in the saddle.
    the valve lapping compound cured my problem (learning to pay closer attention to the terrain ahead
    of me helped, too).