seatpost runs wild and wont hold!!

The Blue Randon

Guest
Dear bicycle friends

My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only ride
Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon
Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my holy
grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and really
working Fox Brain setup.

As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper.
I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.

I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the seat
tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and
it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track
or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side to side. The only
thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say it simply I cant
ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very
disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
real bicycle junky.

Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

Thank you and Stay safe.

Lonny Drees

Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

P.S.

I will ride Paris-Brest-Paris on 18 august 1200 Km non stop on my Specialized Allez so its still the
bike brand for me!! Sorry for my poor English

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn
> side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute.
> To say it

I had a similar problem on a bike once. Assuming the seatpost is the right size for the seat tube,
the problem could be that the seatpost binder bolt is stripped, preventing it from fully clamping
the tube. If you can, remove the bolt completely and examine it for stripped threads. I actually
couldn't get mine out, because it was so badly stripped, and had to have it cut out with a hacksaw.
Replacing the bolt solved the problem immediately.

Hope this helps!

--
_ _ _ Replace "heyyou" with "chris" to reply
___| | __ _ _ __ | |__| | ___ | |__ | |__ ___ ___ _ __ __ _
/ __| |/ _` | '_ \| __ |/ _ \| '_ \| '_ \/ __| / _ \| '__/ _` |
| (__| | (_| | | | | | | | (_) | |_) | |_) \__ \| (_) | | | (_| |
\___|_|\__,_|_| |_|_| |_|\___/|_.__/|_.__/|___(_)___/|_| \__, | __/ |
|___/

>Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
>problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

Three things to consider:

1. Wrong size seat post. 0.2 mm off is more than enough to cause the post to slip.

2. Seat post bolt bottom out against itself. Sometimes the seat post clamping bolt has a shoulder or
if it two piece the shaft bottoms out before it is tight.

3. Is it properly greased.

jon isaacs

"Chris Hobbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn
> > side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute.

<---cut--->

Dear Sir

Thanks for your anwer. The bike is two days old and the seatpost is the standard issued seatpost by
specialized on the Specialized Epic so i asume its the right size post! I dont see anything strange
on the seatpost clamp. This was also issued with the bike and is two days old.

The seatpost is greased with vasaline by the Bicycle shop mechanic, maby there is to much grease? Is
that possible??

Thanks again and i apreciate it very much.

Stay safe

Lonny http://www.lonnyspecpol.com

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dear Sir
>
> Thanks for your anwer. The bike is two days old and the seatpost is the standard issued seatpost
> by specialized on the Specialized Epic so i
asume
> its the right size post! I dont see anything strange on the seatpost
clamp.
> This was also issued with the bike and is two days old.
>
> The seatpost is greased with vasaline by the Bicycle shop mechanic, maby there is to much grease?
> Is that possible??

Why don't you take it back to that mechanic?

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dear bicycle friends
>

> My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
> appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
> 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
> the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
> of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
> ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
> carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
> holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
> really working Fox Brain setup.
>

> As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
> into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized
> Rockhopper. I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.
>

> I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side
> to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say
> it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am
> really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.
>

> Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
> years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
> great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
> real bicycle junky.
>

> Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
> hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
> enjoy the Epic.
>

> Thank you and Stay safe.
>

> Lonny Drees
>
> Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
>

> P.S.
>

> I will ride Paris-Brest-Paris on 18 august 1200 Km non stop on my Specialized Allez so its still
> the bike brand for me!! Sorry for my poor English

the first and most obvious thing to do would be to take the bike back to the dealer and have them
take a look at it. sounds like the seatpost may be the wrong diameter. if the size is right and the
dealer cannot fix it to your satisfaction, try putting some valve lapping compound on the post. you
can find this at any auto parts store. i'm a 235# clydesdale and used to have some problems with
post slippage when i would hit an unseen obstacle on my mountain bike while riding in the saddle.
the valve lapping compound cured my problem (learning to pay closer attention to the terrain ahead
of me helped, too).