Seatpost water bottle cages

jeff c

Mar 20, 2011
Does anyone use those seat post water bottle cages?

I have one long mountain ride that I love. Its only problem is that there are virtually no water sources since the one small convenient store has closed down.

Today I bought a Profile Design aqua rack to try out.

I'm not sure I like the look on my sleek bike, but for hot rides in Georgia heat I am willing to sacrifice looks for solid hydration! LOL. I probably wont use the CO2 holders, as I can still use my small saddle kit (it fits between the bottles).

Any experience with a system like this? Anyone use this set up?

No, I have not used that.. But.

When it comes to water, you do what you have to do.
Looks are back seat,, pun pun!!

I made a bracket for an extra bottle and then added the
pump. I didn't really like it at first, but I have had so many
positive comments about it. my attitude has changed.

I used the holes for the disc brakes that
my bikes doesn't have.

Originally Posted by overgeared .

to your eyes it wont look half as bad when you're riding the bike and it's behind you...

My buddy was in the store with me when I got it. We give each other a really hard time. Im a much stronger cyclist than him and he drafts me a good bit. So hes always concerned with any changes to my "back side". Always has a comment on the backs of jerseys etc. He was totally making fun of the cages.

I said "yeah but when you run out of water think of how motivating it will be to try to stay on my wheel with the mirage of water up ahead". lol.

Problem with behind the seat water bottle holders is that they leave no room for a seat bag.

Depending on your frame design, Walmart sells Bell that makes a metal clamp with a rubber gasket that includes an alloy cage that was rated #2 in a touring mag for the best way to add a third water bottle to a frame or handlebar, sold in their stores but not on the internet. Walmart has a new one out that I haven't heard anything about so not sure about the durability of it yet, but it's made of plastic but not sold in their stores only on the internet.

Minoura sells several different brackets for mounting water bottles to bikes, see: http://www.minourausa.com/english/accessory-e.html

Also don't forget about Camelbak's. The smallest one is light on the back and holds 50 ounces called the Annadel and the Octane LR, the next size up is 70oz like the Consigliere. Anything over 70oz's could become a serious pain in the back on long rides. I have a 70oz Camebak and carry 3 24oz bottles on the cage and another one in a handlebar bag (depending on how far and where I'm going) and in high desert heat of California I could ride 6 hours no problem. Also if your going to be away from stores where you can buy more water you could take a small water bottle with a filter built into it made by Katadyn called the MyBottle and use it to fill with river or stream water and the as you suck through the straw it's being filtered.

jeff c said:
I have one long mountain ride that I love. Its only problem is that there are virtually no water sources since the one small convenient store has closed down.
Today I bought a Profile Design aqua rack to try out.

I'm not sure I like the look on my sleek bike, but for hot rides in Georgia heat I am willing to sacrifice looks for solid hydration! LOL. I probably wont use the CO2 holders, as I can still use my small saddle kit (it fits between the bottles).

I have the same Profile cage at home that I stick on the bike when the temperatures start to climb. A couple of hints n tips for ya: The rubber bands around the top of each bottle cage will eventually dry out and break - not too much of a deal breaker if you ride on smooth roads but if you ride on bumper stuff or off road then youll likely loose a bottle when it gets rough. I've had bottle pop out going over train tracks. I'm sure profile will sell you one for $mega but you could always take a good one off and get a bag or replacements the same size for about 99cents... The only thing that sucks more than hot engery drink is bonking miles from home. The two bottles you stick in the back - stuff them in the freezer for an hour and wrap them in foil - thy way when you get to them 2.5+hours into the ride they'll still be cool and depending on how you wrap them they'll still be clean. If you ever take the cage off the seat post the just snug up the Allen bolt. I don't know why but in all my years of cycling that's the only bolt that I've lost on bike kit - twice! Lol. It's a common thread size so Lowes, Home Depot, ACE etc have spares... When mounting it, put two big bottles in and have your saddle bag on. If you're mounting it to a carbon seat post you only need it tightened a little bit past the point where it won't slip. I don't have a carbon post in the training bike but I've heard of seatpost crushing tales of woe. Happy trails!

The rubber appears to be a common o-ring. Any auto parts store, should
even be a silicone one that will last a lot longer.

Might check with a large truck shop, the wheel seals have a stainless spring
about that size as well. The springs have a tapered end that screws into
the other end to form a ring, the non-tapered end can be cut off to adjust
the size.

For cold drinks I just use Polar bottles, then depending how far I'm going, but on long one day trips I make up diluted Gatorade and chill overnight, at the same time I put one bottle full into the freezer and leave it overnight, along with two empty bottles. Then the next day I fill one of the empty bottles with about 1/2 ice and the other full ice and pour the chilled Gatorade into them. While riding I drink from the one that had only 1/2 ice first, then move to the full ice one and by the time I get to the frozen one it's thawed enough to drink. Of course that's on really hot days I do that, on cooler days there's no need to get that radical because the frozen one may never thaw out enough! But Polar bottles are great because they keep your drinks cooler longer then any thing you can do with a regular bottle.

Great input gang thank you.

Any idea on the size of the o ring for a replacement? I would guess a rubber band would work as well huh?

I rode a short 30 miles tonight and didnt use the setup. I was fine with my two large bottles. But the cage didnt bother me at all while riding.

As for camel backs, I wore one for years when I was a mountain biker, but for some reason I cant get used to one on a road cyclist. :) Maybe Im following the norms of my local cycling community but its VERY rare to see someone with one on here. That, and in my experience they are too hot on LONG rides.

As for the saddle bag, Mine fits just fine. I have enough seat post that I can have the water kit down low, and it doesnt bother my saddle kit.

I have never had an issue with warm drinks. So thats not an issue for me. I just tough it out on a long hot ride and cant wait to get to the car an my cooler with a coke in it! LOL. (hey, post ride drink of champions) LOL.

Originally Posted by Froze .

For cold drinks I just use Polar bottles, then depending how far I'm going, but on long one day trips I make up diluted Gatorade and chill overnight, at the same time I put one bottle full into the freezer and leave it overnight, along with two empty bottles. Then the next day I fill one of the empty bottles with about 1/2 ice and the other full ice and pour the chilled Gatorade into them. While riding I drink from the one that had only 1/2 ice first, then move to the full ice one and by the time I get to the frozen one it's thawed enough to drink. Of course that's on really hot days I do that, on cooler days there's no need to get that radical because the frozen one may never thaw out enough! But Polar bottles are great because they keep your drinks cooler longer then any thing you can do with a regular bottle.
Great idea. I'll have to try that! All this time I've been drinking warm sports drinks or water./img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif

Originally Posted by Cred .

Great idea. I'll have to try that! All this time I've been drinking warm sports drinks or water./img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif

Drinking cooler sports drinks or water while riding helps to keep your core temperature lower too, this helps provide you with more energy because it reduces the amount of work you body has to do to try to maintain your core temperature.

Originally Posted by jeff c .

Hey Jeff and neighbor,

Yes, I just started using an Xlab rear mounted dual cage and a torpedo mount (not shown on my bike) between the aerobars giving me 3 - 26oz bottles for the Georgia heat and it includes a tool/tire bag for the long rides.

I am wondering if you are talking about routes near Burnt Mt.? Your description nails it because that one store was our hope. Our group will stop in the state park to do refills now. It is a little out of the way for most of the typical routes in that area or some have formed a route going to the end of Steve Tate road and there is a shopping center there with a grocery store and I think a convenient store. Let me know and I can share some routes with you.

Here is an out and back route for Burnt Mt going into the state park to refill water before heading back over. Just stop at the gate and ask the attendent if you can refill water and use the bathroom. They seem to let us come in without payment.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/233765

swampy1970 said:
We have, but when it's 100+F wearing a hydration pack sucks.
+ e. Two in the cages and one in the back pocket makes for 72oz of fluid love.

I saw an interesting device at my LBS a few months ago - a large-ish seat bag which is filled with water (not sure if it also has a pocket for a spare tube) and a line that clamps to the top tube with some small magnets. I forget the manufacturer but it's a fairly recent invention - they said it had just come out.

[SIZE= medium]I have seen, and know people who have used quite successfully, water bottles with “built in” and removable/replaceable filters. The filters process all kinds of contaminants including harmful bacteria and can be found at outdoor and mountaineering shops such as REI.[/SIZE]