Seatpost with no angle adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, May 14, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Were seatposts with no tilt adjustment normal in the past?

    I pulled my 1987 Trek from the garage, cleaned it, added new wheels & drivetrain. Great ride. But
    the seatpost has no angle adjustment.

    Fore-and-aft, yes. Up-and-down, yes.

    Angle-no.

    Lucky me, I am comfortable with the one choice. But I am curious. Was this normal?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Were seatposts with no tilt adjustment normal in the past?
    >
    > I pulled my 1987 Trek from the garage, cleaned it, added new wheels & drivetrain. Great ride. But
    > the seatpost has no angle adjustment.
    >
    > Fore-and-aft, yes. Up-and-down, yes.
    >
    > Angle-no.
    >
    > Lucky me, I am comfortable with the one choice. But I am curious. Was this normal?

    Nope. It's possible that the provided one post specific to that frame geometry that would produce a
    flat seat, but even at that, many people prefer something other than flat. I've only seen posts
    without angle adjustments a few times in my life, and I've looked at probably 100's of different
    bikes (brand, year, model). Mostly they were posts with no clamp, the clamp mechanism being built
    into the seat. In these cases, the seat-clamp had no tilt adjustment.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Were seatposts with no tilt adjustment normal in the past?

    Not common, I have never seen one. Possibly you could put a photo on a website so others
    could see it.

    My guess is that it does have some adjustment but it is not immediately apparent or that it is
    frozen somehow.

    jon isaacs

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Gave it a tap with mallet, now it tilts. Jon, you are correct, seatpost was merely frozen.

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >Were seatposts with no tilt adjustment normal in the past?
    > >

    > Not common, I have never seen one. Possibly you could put a photo on a website so others
    > could see it.
    >
    > My guess is that it does have some adjustment but it is not immediately apparent or that it is
    > frozen somehow.

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gave it a tap with mallet, now it tilts. Jon, you are correct, seatpost was merely frozen.

    Are you sure you didn't just bend your saddle rails? ;-)

  6. On Thu, 15 May 2003 04:55:47 +0000, Jeff wrote:

    > Were seatposts with no tilt adjustment normal in the past?
    >
    > I pulled my 1987 Trek from the garage, cleaned it, added new wheels & drivetrain. Great ride. But
    > the seatpost has no angle adjustment.
    >
    > Fore-and-aft, yes. Up-and-down, yes.
    >
    > Angle-no.
    >
    > Lucky me, I am comfortable with the one choice. But I am curious. Was this normal?

    I think you must be mistaken. Often parts get pretty welded together by corrosion, but if you take
    it all apart I bet you will find that the angle can be adjusted. It's probably a single-bolt design,
    which I do not like, but if you loosen the bolt more than just what is needed to move the saddle
    fore-and-aft, and bash on the nose of the saddle, it'll probably point down.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |