seatpost wont hold

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by The Blue Randon, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
    1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
    the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
    of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only ride
    Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon
    Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my holy
    grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and really
    working Fox Brain setup.

    As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
    into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper.
    I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.

    I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the seat
    tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and
    it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track
    or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side to side. The only
    thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say it simply I cant
    ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very
    disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

    Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    real bicycle junky.

    Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
    problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

    Thank you and Stay safe.

    Lonny Drees

    Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

    P.S.

    Sorry for my poor English
     
    Tags:


  2. The Blue Randonneur wrote:
    > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    > appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
    > 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
    > the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
    > of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
    > ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
    > carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
    > holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
    > really working Fox Brain setup.
    >
    >
    >
    > As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
    > into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized
    > Rockhopper. I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.
    >
    >
    >
    > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side
    > to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say
    > it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am
    > really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.
    >
    >
    >
    > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    > years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    > great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    > real bicycle junky.
    >
    >
    >
    > Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
    > hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
    > enjoy the Epic.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you and Stay safe.
    >
    >
    >
    > Lonny Drees
    >
    > Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
    >
    >
    >
    > P.S.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry for my poor English
    >
    >

    You have a couple of options. first check that you have the cioorect size post, your LBS can help
    you there. if it is a Really large fit on a correct size post (production tolerances and all that)
    you can cut a shim of milar (a kids balloon works) this will shim up to ~ 1mm. if it 'almost' fits,
    use a center punch to make 4-5 rows (~6/row) of 'pockmarks' around the post *below* where it goes in
    the seat tube. this will hold a loose post. HTH
    --
    James Connell
     
  3. The Blue Randonneur wrote:
    >
    > To say it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I
    > am really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

    What does the Specialized dealer you bought it from say?

    It sounds like it's got the wrong sized seatpost.

    Barry
     
  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    The Blue Randonneur wrote:

    > Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
    > hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
    > enjoy the Epic.

    Sounds like the seat post is the wrong size. Did you build the bike up yourself? If not, I would
    take it back to the shop where you bought it and complain. No big deal.

    > Sorry for my poor English

    I shouldn't worry, it's better than a lot of people who claim English as their mother tongue :)
     
  5. The Blue Randonneur wrote:
    > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    > appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
    > 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
    > the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
    > of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
    > ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
    > carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
    > holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
    > really working Fox Brain setup.
    >
    >snip<
    >
    > Lonny Drees
    >
    > Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

    You said Epic Carbon race, is the whole bike carbon? or the seatpost? if so, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON
    THE SEATPOST! Your bike shop may have done it if they built it up. First things first, clean off
    your seatpost with some mild degreaser, wipe it clean, etc. Do the same for the seattube of the bike
    frame - you might have to attach a rag to the end of a dowel or any long object that will fit inside
    your seattube. Make sure after you degrease, you wipe everything off really thoroughly, maybe a damp
    rag. Granted, grease more than an inch or so inside the seattube won't do too much to gripping, but
    if you lower the post into the frame it can get contaminated with grease where you do need it to
    grip when its back to its normal height.

    If that doesn't work, or the seatpost is fairly obviously greaseless, then take it back to your
    bikeshop. Most likely you've got the wrong size seatpost in there, if not, then one of the parts
    isn't up to spec and should be replaced. If they're the ones who built the bike up, then its their
    responsibility to provide you with working parts, not "Fix"
    (IE: work around) the parts you have.

    >
    > P.S.Sorry for my poor English

    Don't worry about it, you got your point across quite eloquently.

    Jon Bond
     
  6. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    > years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    > great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    > real bicycle junky.

    You could always ride it without the seat or post. *Shudders from the time I clicked on the
    forbidden link*

    -John Morgan
     
  7. James Connell wrote:
    >
    >
    > You have a couple of options. first check that you have the cioorect size post, your LBS can help
    > you there. if it is a Really large fit on a correct size post (production tolerances and all that)
    > you can cut a shim of milar (a kids balloon works) this will shim up to ~ 1mm. if it 'almost'
    > fits, use a center punch to make 4-5 rows (~6/row) of 'pockmarks' around the post *below* where it
    > goes in the seat tube. this will hold a loose post. HTH
    > --
    > James Connell

    Excellent suggestions, but it's a brand new bike. Make the dealer fix it properly, WITHOUT
    work-arounds. I've seen new bikes leave factories with ill-fitting seatposts, handlebars, etc... He
    should even get a new frame if the problem is in the seat tube.

    Doing some of the stuff listed above, before the dealer and Specialized get a shot at it, could
    destroy any chance of getting the problem fixed correctly.

    Barry
     
  8. Web Stalker

    Web Stalker Guest

    > You said Epic Carbon race, is the whole bike carbon? or the seatpost? if so, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON
    > THE SEATPOST! Your bike shop may have done it if they built it up. First things first, clean off
    > your seatpost with some mild degreaser, wipe it clean, etc. Do the same for the seattube of the
    > bike frame - you might have to attach a rag to the end of a dowel or any long object that will fit
    > inside your seattube. Make sure after you degrease, you wipe everything off really thoroughly,
    > maybe a damp rag. Granted, grease more than an inch or so inside the seattube won't do too much to
    > gripping, but if you lower the post into the frame it can get contaminated with grease where you
    > do need it to grip when its back to its normal height.

    when i bought my Giant Cadex (carbon) about 10 years ago had the same problem, whiped all the grease
    off and its been fine ever since
     
  9. News.Cox.Net

    News.Cox.Net Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]o.com...
    >
    > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
    and
    > turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
    > minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
    2500
    > euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
    > because I don't know what to do next.

    Assuming the post is the correct size for the frame, perhaps a better quality clamp will cure
    the problem.

    -Jeff
     
  10. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
    > appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my
    first
    > Specialized Bike in the US during the 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here
    > in Europe. After that I did compete in the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the
    > 80's. From that time specialized was a kind of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid
    of
    > all my other brand bicycles and have only ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized
    > bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I
    > own a Specialize Allez Race
    Bike
    > and bought my holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the
    > beautiful and really working Fox Brain
    setup.
    >
    >
    >
    > As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
    > into it because my wife owns two specialized
    bike's
    > and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper. I was always very
    pleased
    > about the bike setup ..until now.
    >
    >
    >
    > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
    > changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
    > bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
    and
    > turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
    > minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
    2500
    > euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
    > because I don't know what to do next.
    >
    >
    >
    > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
    > years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
    > great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
    > real bicycle junky.
    >
    >
    >
    > Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank
    you
    > very much and I hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time
    > and realy enjoy the Epic.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you and Stay safe.
    >
    >
    >
    > Lonny Drees
    >
    > Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
    >
    >
    >
    > P.S.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry for my poor English
    >
    >

    This is totally useless, information. Just my rave.

    I've had the same problem on my Trek 6700 since I bought it, reviews online say it's a common
    problem with my Bontrager post (I'm sure you have a much better seat post than this). What also
    pisses me off is I thought I was buying a 2002 Trek when in fact I got a 2003 with a new "Pilot SL"
    RockShox fork which is total crap. I think I like the RST I put on the Walgoose better. And I also
    got shafted by not getting any extras from the LBS. A month later my friend bought a Giant Rainier
    for $150 less than me and nearly the entire bike had better spec components than mine. Plus he got
    two free tuneups and a free tire pump, hmmph.

    THEN I bought an 87 Prelude SI from my friend for $800, I thought it was a good deal. Then the
    clutch went out, now I need to save $400 or try my luck putting it in myself. I've never attempted
    to take a transmission out of a car... Plus my driver's side transaxle went out, that's a $100 job
    and a pretty simple installation. EXCEPT the damned auto parts stores have the wrong part listed
    for my car, that or my car is actually an 86 Accord with a Prelude body cause we found an incorrect
    part, but one that works from a junkyard for that type of car. This was after trying three from the
    parts shop. Now the boot on my other transaxle is broke, again. And also, my rear brake calipers
    went out. I drove for three days without them and got in a simple bumper-bumper accident which
    busted my side marker light (only $40), but the woman I hit needs a new $400 bumper. ARGH I am a
    typical, stupid American shopper. I'm gonna put a tattoo on my forehead saying "take advantage of
    me, I'm American." And even before this, I sold my old Accord to a friend for $50 (front axle
    completely shot, body damage, engine on it's last leg burning oil, brake booster shot, vacuum leak,
    slipping clutch, no radio, thermostat broken, 2 power window motors broken, lights stuck up, and a
    couple more problems). He turned around and sold the car to some mexicans for $450. The blue book
    value of the car in good condition was $600... So maybe I'm not part of the most gullible race
    after all.
     
  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always
    was
    > > trilled by their appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my
    > first
    > > Specialized Bike in the US during the 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics
    > > here in Europe. After that I did compete in the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back
    > > in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind of magic for me and I sold, trow away and
    > > get rid
    > of
    > > all my other brand bicycles and have only ride Specialized. I did own
    all
    > > kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon Race, Allez, S-Works
    > > and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race
    > Bike
    > > and bought my holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the
    > > beautiful and really working Fox Brain
    > setup.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else.
    I
    > > drag in my whole family into it because my wife owns two specialized
    > bike's
    > > and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper. I was always very
    > pleased
    > > about the bike setup ..until now.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
    > > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp
    so
    > > hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and it still wont hold.
    It
    > > is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track or even on the
    > > road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
    > and
    > > turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
    > > minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
    > 2500
    > > euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
    > > because I don't know what to do next.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the
    first
    > > time in almost 20 years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so
    > > for me it's a great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's
    > > terrible for me as a real
    bicycle
    > > junky.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank
    > you
    > > very much and I hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a
    track
    > > with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Thank you and Stay safe.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Lonny Drees
    > >
    > > Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > P.S.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Sorry for my poor English
    > >
    > >
    >
    > This is totally useless, information. Just my rave.
    >
    > I've had the same problem on my Trek 6700 since I bought it, reviews
    online
    > say it's a common problem with my Bontrager post (I'm sure you have a much better seat post than
    > this). What also pisses me off is I thought I was buying a 2002 Trek when in fact I got a 2003
    > with a new "Pilot SL"
    RockShox
    > fork which is total crap. I think I like the RST I put on the Walgoose better. And I also got
    > shafted by not getting any extras from the LBS. A month later my friend bought a Giant Rainier for
    > $150 less than me and nearly the entire bike had better spec components than mine. Plus he got two
    > free tuneups and a free tire pump, hmmph.
    >
    > THEN I bought an 87 Prelude SI from my friend for $800, I thought it was a good deal. Then the
    > clutch went out, now I need to save $400 or try my
    luck
    > putting it in myself. I've never attempted to take a transmission out of
    a
    > car... Plus my driver's side transaxle went out, that's a $100 job and a pretty simple
    > installation. EXCEPT the damned auto parts stores have the wrong part listed for my car, that or
    > my car is actually an 86 Accord with
    a
    > Prelude body cause we found an incorrect part, but one that works from a junkyard for that type of
    > car. This was after trying three from the parts shop. Now the boot on my other transaxle is broke,
    > again. And also, my rear brake calipers went out. I drove for three days without them and got in a
    > simple bumper-bumper accident which busted my side marker light (only $40), but the woman I hit
    > needs a new $400 bumper. ARGH I am a typical, stupid American shopper. I'm gonna put a tattoo on
    > my forehead saying
    "take
    > advantage of me, I'm American." And even before this, I sold my old
    Accord
    > to a friend for $50 (front axle completely shot, body damage, engine on
    it's
    > last leg burning oil, brake booster shot, vacuum leak, slipping clutch, no radio, thermostat
    > broken, 2 power window motors broken, lights stuck up,
    and
    > a couple more problems). He turned around and sold the car to some
    mexicans
    > for $450. The blue book value of the car in good condition was $600...
    So
    > maybe I'm not part of the most gullible race after all.

    Travis, we've missed you!!!

    Bill "it's just so...emotional" S.
     
  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip Specialized commercial>

    Try a different aftermarket clamp.

    > Sorry for my poor English

    It's much better than some who call themselves "American" who post here. Maybe you could come over
    and tutor them.

    JD
     
  13. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Shim the dame thing allready.

    Fire up MTB 03
     
  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  16. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > > Shim the dame thing allready.
    >
    > Yes, this would likely help to satisfy her with your small penis.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Shaun aRe - That Ok for you Sorni?

    That's how I took it; knew I could count on you to, too!

    Bill "new from Sornco -- PADDED CONDOMS?!?" S.
     
  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > > > Shim the dame thing already.
    > >
    > > Yes, this would likely help to satisfy her with your small penis.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - That Ok for you Sorni?
    >
    >
    > That's how I took it;

    Shimmed? Didn't realise you were so well worn ',;~}

    (heheheh!)

    > knew I could count on you to, too!

    No worries...well, actually, it does worry me a little that people keep invoking my name to summon
    me forth for things like this - I feel I'm being type-cast.

    ',;~}

    > Bill "new from Sornco -- PADDED CONDOMS?!?" S.

    Heheheh - later Bill!

    Shaun aRe
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...