seatpost wont hold

The Blue Randon

Guest
My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only ride
Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon
Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my holy
grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and really
working Fox Brain setup.

As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper.
I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.

I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the seat
tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and
it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track
or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side to side. The only
thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say it simply I cant
ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very
disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
real bicycle junky.

Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I hope my
problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy enjoy the Epic.

Thank you and Stay safe.

Lonny Drees

Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

P.S.

Sorry for my poor English

The Blue Randonneur wrote:
> My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
> appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
> 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
> the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
> of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
> ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
> carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
> holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
> really working Fox Brain setup.
>

> As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
> into it because my wife owns two specialized bike's and my daughter owns one Specialized
> Rockhopper. I was always very pleased about the bike setup ..until now.
>

> I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold and turn side
> to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another minute. To say
> it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am
> really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.
>

> Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
> years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
> great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
> real bicycle junky.
>

> Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
> hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
> enjoy the Epic.
>

> Thank you and Stay safe.
>

> Lonny Drees
>
> Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
>

> P.S.
>

> Sorry for my poor English

You have a couple of options. first check that you have the cioorect size post, your LBS can help
you there. if it is a Really large fit on a correct size post (production tolerances and all that)
you can cut a shim of milar (a kids balloon works) this will shim up to ~ 1mm. if it 'almost' fits,
use a center punch to make 4-5 rows (~6/row) of 'pockmarks' around the post *below* where it goes in
the seat tube. this will hold a loose post. HTH
--
James Connell

The Blue Randonneur wrote:

> To say it simply I cant ride my treasured 2500 euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I
> am really very disappointed and desperate because I don't know what to do next.

What does the Specialized dealer you bought it from say?

It sounds like it's got the wrong sized seatpost.

Barry

The Blue Randonneur wrote:

> Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank you very much and I
> hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time and realy
> enjoy the Epic.

Sounds like the seat post is the wrong size. Did you build the bike up yourself? If not, I would
take it back to the shop where you bought it and complain. No big deal.

> Sorry for my poor English

I shouldn't worry, it's better than a lot of people who claim English as their mother tongue :)

The Blue Randonneur wrote:
> My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
> appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my first Specialized Bike in the US during the
> 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here in Europe. After that I did compete in
> the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind
> of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid of all my other brand bicycles and have only
> ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic
> carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race Bike and bought my
> holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the beautiful and
> really working Fox Brain setup.
>
>snip<
>
> Lonny Drees
>
> Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).

You said Epic Carbon race, is the whole bike carbon? or the seatpost? if so, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON
THE SEATPOST! Your bike shop may have done it if they built it up. First things first, clean off
your seatpost with some mild degreaser, wipe it clean, etc. Do the same for the seattube of the bike
frame - you might have to attach a rag to the end of a dowel or any long object that will fit inside
your seattube. Make sure after you degrease, you wipe everything off really thoroughly, maybe a damp
rag. Granted, grease more than an inch or so inside the seattube won't do too much to gripping, but
if you lower the post into the frame it can get contaminated with grease where you do need it to
grip when its back to its normal height.

If that doesn't work, or the seatpost is fairly obviously greaseless, then take it back to your
bikeshop. Most likely you've got the wrong size seatpost in there, if not, then one of the parts
isn't up to spec and should be replaced. If they're the ones who built the bike up, then its their
responsibility to provide you with working parts, not "Fix"
(IE: work around) the parts you have.

> P.S.Sorry for my poor English

Don't worry about it, you got your point across quite eloquently.

Jon Bond

> Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
> years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
> great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
> real bicycle junky.

You could always ride it without the seat or post. *Shudders from the time I clicked on the
forbidden link*

-John Morgan

James Connell wrote:

> You have a couple of options. first check that you have the cioorect size post, your LBS can help
> you there. if it is a Really large fit on a correct size post (production tolerances and all that)
> you can cut a shim of milar (a kids balloon works) this will shim up to ~ 1mm. if it 'almost'
> fits, use a center punch to make 4-5 rows (~6/row) of 'pockmarks' around the post *below* where it
> goes in the seat tube. this will hold a loose post. HTH
> --
> James Connell

Excellent suggestions, but it's a brand new bike. Make the dealer fix it properly, WITHOUT
work-arounds. I've seen new bikes leave factories with ill-fitting seatposts, handlebars, etc... He
should even get a new frame if the problem is in the seat tube.

Doing some of the stuff listed above, before the dealer and Specialized get a shot at it, could
destroy any chance of getting the problem fixed correctly.

Barry

> You said Epic Carbon race, is the whole bike carbon? or the seatpost? if so, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON
> THE SEATPOST! Your bike shop may have done it if they built it up. First things first, clean off
> your seatpost with some mild degreaser, wipe it clean, etc. Do the same for the seattube of the
> bike frame - you might have to attach a rag to the end of a dowel or any long object that will fit
> inside your seattube. Make sure after you degrease, you wipe everything off really thoroughly,
> maybe a damp rag. Granted, grease more than an inch or so inside the seattube won't do too much to
> gripping, but if you lower the post into the frame it can get contaminated with grease where you
> do need it to grip when its back to its normal height.

when i bought my Giant Cadex (carbon) about 10 years ago had the same problem, whiped all the grease
off and its been fine ever since

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
and
> turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
> minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
2500
> euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
> because I don't know what to do next.

Assuming the post is the correct size for the frame, perhaps a better quality clamp will cure
the problem.

-Jeff

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always was trilled by their
> appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my
first
> Specialized Bike in the US during the 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics here
> in Europe. After that I did compete in the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back in the
> 80's. From that time specialized was a kind of magic for me and I sold, trow away and get rid
of
> all my other brand bicycles and have only ride Specialized. I did own all kind of Specialized
> bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon Race, Allez, S-Works and so on. Right now I
> own a Specialize Allez Race
Bike
> and bought my holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the
> beautiful and really working Fox Brain
setup.

> As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else. I drag in my whole family
> into it because my wife owns two specialized
bike's
> and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper. I was always very
pleased
> about the bike setup ..until now.
>

> I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp so hard that it almost don't close nothing
> changed and it still wont hold. It is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of
> bicycling a track or even on the road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
and
> turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
> minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
2500
> euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
> because I don't know what to do next.
>

> Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the first time in almost 20
> years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so for me it's a
> great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's terrible for me as a
> real bicycle junky.
>

> Would you please come with an answer and any help for my problem. Thank
you
> very much and I hope my problem will be solved soon so I can ride a track with it the first time
> and realy enjoy the Epic.
>

> Thank you and Stay safe.
>

> Lonny Drees
>
> Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Europe).
>

> P.S.
>

> Sorry for my poor English

This is totally useless, information. Just my rave.

I've had the same problem on my Trek 6700 since I bought it, reviews online say it's a common
problem with my Bontrager post (I'm sure you have a much better seat post than this). What also
pisses me off is I thought I was buying a 2002 Trek when in fact I got a 2003 with a new "Pilot SL"
RockShox fork which is total ****. I think I like the RST I put on the Walgoose better. And I also
got shafted by not getting any extras from the LBS. A month later my friend bought a Giant Rainier
for $150 less than me and nearly the entire bike had better spec components than mine. Plus he got
two free tuneups and a free tire pump, hmmph.

THEN I bought an 87 Prelude SI from my friend for $800, I thought it was a good deal. Then the
clutch went out, now I need to save $400 or try my luck putting it in myself. I've never attempted
to take a transmission out of a car... Plus my driver's side transaxle went out, that's a $100 job
and a pretty simple installation. EXCEPT the damned auto parts stores have the wrong part listed
for my car, that or my car is actually an 86 Accord with a Prelude body cause we found an incorrect
part, but one that works from a junkyard for that type of car. This was after trying three from the
parts shop. Now the boot on my other transaxle is broke, again. And also, my rear brake calipers
went out. I drove for three days without them and got in a simple bumper-bumper accident which
busted my side marker light (only $40), but the woman I hit needs a new $400 bumper. ARGH I am a
typical, stupid American shopper. I'm gonna put a tattoo on my forehead saying "take advantage of
me, I'm American." And even before this, I sold my old Accord to a friend for $50 (front axle
completely shot, body damage, engine on it's last leg burning oil, brake booster shot, vacuum leak,
slipping clutch, no radio, thermostat broken, 2 power window motors broken, lights stuck up, and a
couple more problems). He turned around and sold the car to some mexicans for $450. The blue book
value of the car in good condition was $600... So maybe I'm not part of the most gullible race
after all.

"Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > My entire bicycle life i am riding on Specialized Bicycles and always
was
> > trilled by their appearance, techniques, and performance. I bought my
> first
> > Specialized Bike in the US during the 1980's when Mountain Biking was something for lunatics
> > here in Europe. After that I did compete in the first Grundig Cup Mountain Bike series back
> > in the 80's. From that time specialized was a kind of magic for me and I sold, trow away and
> > get rid
> of
> > all my other brand bicycles and have only ride Specialized. I did own
all
> > kind of Specialized bicycles from a Stumpjumpers, Hardrocks, Epic carbon Race, Allez, S-Works
> > and so on. Right now I own a Specialize Allez Race
> Bike
> > and bought my holy grail two days ago being a very hot Red colour specialized Epic FSR with the
> > beautiful and really working Fox Brain
> setup.
> >

> > As I told I am a kind of Specialize freak and never want anything else.
> > drag in my whole family into it because my wife owns two specialized
> bike's
> > and my daughter owns one Specialized Rockhopper. I was always very
> pleased
> > about the bike setup ..until now.
> >

> > I have a major problem (for me that's is ). The problem is that the seat post wont hold in the
> > seat tube and even when I tight up the seat clamp
so
> > hard that it almost don't close nothing changed and it still wont hold.
It
> > is very irritating and dangerous because within a minute of bicycling a track or even on the
> > road my saddle (and seat post of course) wont hold
> and
> > turn side to side. The only thing I can do is stop and again straiten my saddle for a another
> > minute. To say it simply I cant ride my treasured
> 2500
> > euro worth newly bought Red Specializes Epic and I am really very disappointed and desperate
> > because I don't know what to do next.
> >

> > Could you please help me and tell me what to do because this is the
first
> > time in almost 20 years that I have something that's not good about the specialized products so
> > for me it's a great shock and the fact is that I cant drive my beauty Red Epic and that's
> > terrible for me as a real
bicycle
> [...]
> needs a new $400 bumper. ARGH I am a typical, stupid American shopper. I'm gonna put a tattoo on
> my forehead saying
"take
> advantage of me, I'm American." And even before this, I sold my old
Accord
> to a friend for $50 (front axle completely shot, body damage, engine on
it's
> last leg burning oil, brake booster shot, vacuum leak, slipping clutch, no radio, thermostat
> broken, 2 power window motors broken, lights stuck up,
and
> a couple more problems). He turned around and sold the car to some
mexicans
> for $450. The blue book value of the car in good condition was $600...
So
> maybe I'm not part of the most gullible race after all.

Travis, we've missed you!!!

Bill "it's just so...emotional" S.

"The Blue Randonneur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip Specialized commercial>

Try a different aftermarket clamp.

> Sorry for my poor English

It's much better than some who call themselves "American" who post here. Maybe you could come over
and tutor them.

JD

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > Shim the dame thing already.
> >
> > Yes, this would likely help to satisfy her with your small penis.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - That Ok for you Sorni?
>

> That's how I took it;

Shimmed? Didn't realise you were so well worn ',;~}

(heheheh!)

> knew I could count on you to, too!

No worries...well, actually, it does worry me a little that people keep invoking my name to summon
me forth for things like this - I feel I'm being type-cast.

',;~}

> Bill "new from Sornco -- PADDED CONDOMS?!?" S.

Heheheh - later Bill!

Shaun aRe