seats for females

closesupport

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
I know this is a female forum and i am male, but my query is relating to seats for females, i have just purchased a Virtual traininer and my partner is adament to use it and loose some of the pounds that she has put on 'sorry, pounds should be stone'.

she has tryed to sit use my mtb with the seat at its lowest, which she claims is extremly uncomfortable, perfect for me but she has got an extremly wide **** and the seat seems to disapear amongst the body tissues. Sorry i'm trying not to offend her.

my question is is there anywhere i could purchase a wide comfortable seat for her without trying to adapt a dinning room chair to the seat stem.

Sorry i couldn't resist :D

closesupport said:
I know this is a female forum and i am male, but my query is relating to seats for females, i have just purchased a Virtual traininer and my partner is adament to use it and loose some of the pounds that she has put on 'sorry, pounds should be stone'.

she has tryed to sit use my mtb with the seat at its lowest, which she claims is extremly uncomfortable, perfect for me but she has got an extremly wide **** and the seat seems to disapear amongst the body tissues. Sorry i'm trying not to offend her.

my question is is there anywhere i could purchase a wide comfortable seat for her without trying to adapt a dinning room chair to the seat stem.

Sorry i couldn't resist :D

The Terry Butterfly works well for a lot of female cyclists.

jhuskey said:
The Terry Butterfly works well for a lot of female cyclists.
Is there not a wider one than that, something maybe as wide as it is long.

Selle Italia Zero Premium Comfort Saddle

Size: 235 x 220mm

I have found one its okey, she ain't yet a female cyclist but she wants to be i think another fad that will phase out before the month is out, so i don't want to spend to much on one.

I already have a cupboard full of numerous ceramic hair straighteners
numerous digital camera's from fuji fine pix - through to a cannon es300D that hasn't seen daylight since the month fad had phased out. at least i'm gonna beable to benefit from the trainer when the fad has worn off.

Thanks for your help

closesupport said:
Is there not a wider one than that, something maybe as wide as it is long.

Selle Italia Zero Premium Comfort Saddle

Size: 235 x 220mm

I have found one its okey, she ain't yet a female cyclist but she wants to be i think another fad that will phase out before the month is out, so i don't want to spend to much on one.

I already have a cupboard full of numerous ceramic hair straighteners
numerous digital camera's from fuji fine pix - through to a cannon es300D that hasn't seen daylight since the month fad had phased out. at least i'm gonna beable to benefit from the trainer when the fad has worn off.

Thanks for your help

Well they make some of those thing with the big springs that shift with your weight. I have seen individuals riding on them,you know the ones with their knees kicking up toward their chin.
Just a suggestion take digital photos of all the stuff and post it on e-bay.
The problem with a trainer as in all exercise is that it takes effort and it ain't always fun. If it were easy everyone would be riding in Le Tour.

jhuskey said:
Well they make some of those thing with the big springs that shift with your weight. I have seen individuals riding on them,you know the ones with their knees kicking up toward their chin.
Just a suggestion take digital photos of all the stuff and post it on e-bay.
The problem with a trainer as in all exercise is that it takes effort and it ain't always fun. If it were easy everyone would be riding in Le Tour.
I think it is always fun, it is deffinately an easier way to train rather than just going out on the road and trying your hardest to go as fast as you can and recovering when its over, i have found that i can add some kind of structure to my training plus within the last 3days i have been able to rackup 50-60miles without having to battle 30mph winds and horrible weather, plus since its the I magic i can input data of other riders and race against them in the comfort of my own home.

its cool plus i should still be race fit come march :D but i find the only effort i endure is putting the fan on, ohhhhh! then you ride, but the best thing is i can now go for a 100mile ride and don't need to worry about getting back home hoping that i ain't going to bonk and have to go in search of food and stuff.

closesupport said:
I think it is always fun, it is deffinately an easier way to train rather than just going out on the road and trying your hardest to go as fast as you can and recovering when its over, i have found that i can add some kind of structure to my training plus within the last 3days i have been able to rackup 50-60miles without having to battle 30mph winds and horrible weather, plus since its the I magic i can input data of other riders and race against them in the comfort of my own home.

its cool plus i should still be race fit come march :D but i find the only effort i endure is putting the fan on, ohhhhh! then you ride, but the best thing is i can now go for a 100mile ride and don't need to worry about getting back home hoping that i ain't going to bonk and have to go in search of food and stuff.

I always forget to turn that fan on but I don't want to stop lest I mess up on my time. The fan and forgetting to put on my helmet but I hate stopping and starting again.
Just kidding about the helmet of course. I always remember to wear it.

Wider isn't always better or more comfortable. I've been riding the selle italia tran am (womens) with the cut out. I still had chaffing on long rides and races but didn't think much of it until I got my bike fit checked and was told the saddle is too wide. You are unable to get full leg extension during the pedal stroke without your hamstring/thigh hitting the saddle with most women's saddles. I switched to a men's saddle (w/cut out) and it is surprisingly much better and my pedal stroke feels much more free. Also, the problem may be that your saddle is simply to hard. Many men's saddles have less padding then women's - my husbands is hard as a board but he loves it. I tried it before the current one I'm on and it was painfully uncomfortable for me. Another thing, check the position - is it tilted slightly up? Many men tilt their saddles up slightly but that position is very uncomfortable for women. And finally, your bike might just not fit her at all ... you said you lowered the saddle to the lowest, which makes it sound like the bike may be too big. The bike is just not going to be comfortable if it doesn't fit right.

racergirl said:
Wider isn't always better or more comfortable. I've been riding the selle italia tran am (womens) with the cut out. I still had chaffing on long rides and races but didn't think much of it until I got my bike fit checked and was told the saddle is too wide. You are unable to get full leg extension during the pedal stroke without your hamstring/thigh hitting the saddle with most women's saddles. I switched to a men's saddle (w/cut out) and it is surprisingly much better and my pedal stroke feels much more free. Also, the problem may be that your saddle is simply to hard. Many men's saddles have less padding then women's - my husbands is hard as a board but he loves it. I tried it before the current one I'm on and it was painfully uncomfortable for me. Another thing, check the position - is it tilted slightly up? Many men tilt their saddles up slightly but that position is very uncomfortable for women. And finally, your bike might just not fit her at all ... you said you lowered the saddle to the lowest, which makes it sound like the bike may be too big. The bike is just not going to be comfortable if it doesn't fit right.
Selle Italia Prolink Light Gel Flow Saddle is the saddle that is on the Mtb that she claims is uncomfortable she has tryed all 3 of my seats but still she says they are uncomfortable. maybe your right maybe if the bike was hers and fit her she may be inclined to use it for a little longer. :D now she has seen that she wants a new bike to go with the trainer.... thanks...:mad:

She is now showing me pictures of trek mtb's .... Thankyou racegirl.