seatstay bridge cable hanger?



K

Kyle.B.H.

Guest
Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
attachment would be in the wrong orientation).

Thanks,

Kyle
 
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:11:44 -0500, "Kyle.B.H."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
>canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
>cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
>attachment would be in the wrong orientation).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kyle


You mean like these?

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cable/Casing&sc=Hangers, Rear&id=1109822419

I recently built up a frame that needed one and used the rear hanger
off of an old 10-speed that had center-pull brakes.

Almost any bike shop should have what you need.
 
Dan Daniel wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:11:44 -0500, "Kyle.B.H."
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
>>canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
>>cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
>>attachment would be in the wrong orientation).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Kyle

>
>
> You mean like these?
>
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cable/Casing&sc=Hangers, Rear&id=1109822419
>
> I recently built up a frame that needed one and used the rear hanger
> off of an old 10-speed that had center-pull brakes.
>
> Almost any bike shop should have what you need.



I may have to resort to that, but I was thinking something like shown in
this picture (third one down), but attaches to seatstay bridge...

http://www.yellowjersey.org/soma.html

I could probably make that one work...

Kyle
 
Kyle.B.H. wrote:
>
> I may have to resort to that, but I was thinking something like shown

in
> this picture (third one down), but attaches to seatstay bridge...
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/soma.html
>
> I could probably make that one work...


The problem with that particular one is that it could rotate to the
side, releasing the tension on the brake cable and causing brake
failure. This isn't possible with a binder-bolt mounted stop.

Take a look at any bike from the '70's or '80's with centerpull brakes.
You'll find that binder bolt mounted stops are very common.

Jeff
 
Kyle.B.H. wrote:
> Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
> canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
> cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
> attachment would be in the wrong orientation).


You could use a Cross front model. Radius the inside edge
in the other plane for the bridge's smaller diameter. Use a
graded or allen bolt.

And then give the lever a good hard pull a couple of times
with all your might before you ride. Some seamed shoddy
seatstay bridges would likely commit suicide with that much
force and leverage.

What bike? I'm thinking of Motobecane Nomade/Super
Mirage/GrandTour bridges in particular and their ilk in
general. I've repaired a lot of those. Any bike with a
Pletscher plate, no problem.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:11:44 -0500, "Kyle.B.H."
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
>>canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
>>cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
>>attachment would be in the wrong orientation).


Dan Daniel wrote:
> You mean like these?
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cable/Casing&sc=Hangers, Rear&id=1109822419
> I recently built up a frame that needed one and used the rear hanger
> off of an old 10-speed that had center-pull brakes.
> Almost any bike shop should have what you need.


You make a good point. Yes, the OP may indeed just
aesthetically prefer a seatstay bridge mounted hanger, but
some new bikes can't readily accept the seatbolt mounted
hangers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
A Muzi wrote:
> Kyle.B.H. wrote:
>
>> Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
>> canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
>> cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
>> attachment would be in the wrong orientation).

>
>
> You could use a Cross front model. Radius the inside edge in the other
> plane for the bridge's smaller diameter. Use a graded or allen bolt.
>
> And then give the lever a good hard pull a couple of times with all your
> might before you ride. Some seamed shoddy seatstay bridges would likely
> commit suicide with that much force and leverage.
>
> What bike? I'm thinking of Motobecane Nomade/Super Mirage/GrandTour
> bridges in particular and their ilk in general. I've repaired a lot of
> those. Any bike with a Pletscher plate, no problem.
>


Its a Raleigh R300 touring frame - beefy aluminum bridge with a threaded
boss. So you're condident that there's enough metal on that
cross-front hanger to radius it with a rat-tail file or a dremel?

I actually tried a binder bolt mounted hanger but the one I have is too
thick to fit within the binder. I have a mini-V on there now, but the
pad travel is too small, and the noodle gets in the way of the rack strut.

Thanks,

Kyle
 
>> Kyle.B.H. wrote:
>>> Does such a thing exist? This would be an ideal solution for a rear
>>> canti brake, akin to the fork-mounted cable hanger now found on some
>>> cross bikes (which would almost work, but the curvature of the
>>> attachment would be in the wrong orientation).


> A Muzi wrote:
>> You could use a Cross front model. Radius the inside edge in the
>> other plane for the bridge's smaller diameter. Use a graded or allen
>> bolt.
>> And then give the lever a good hard pull a couple of times with all
>> your might before you ride. Some seamed shoddy seatstay bridges would
>> likely commit suicide with that much force and leverage.
>> What bike? I'm thinking of Motobecane Nomade/Super Mirage/GrandTour
>> bridges in particular and their ilk in general. I've repaired a lot of
>> those. Any bike with a Pletscher plate, no problem.


Kyle.B.H. wrote:
> Its a Raleigh R300 touring frame - beefy aluminum bridge with a threaded
> boss. So you're condident that there's enough metal on that
> cross-front hanger to radius it with a rat-tail file or a dremel?
> I actually tried a binder bolt mounted hanger but the one I have is too
> thick to fit within the binder. I have a mini-V on there now, but the
> pad travel is too small, and the noodle gets in the way of the rack strut.


A common complaint of Mini-V brakes. Try them with mudguards
for a frustrating experience!

http://www.yellowjersey.org/miniv.jpg

I know that frame and yes I would mount a front hanger
radiused to the shape of the bridge. Use a hardened bolt all
the way through the bridge with a seating pad on the back
side and a nylock nut.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971