Seattle Food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tom or Mary, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Tom or Mary

    Tom or Mary Guest

    I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. SD

    SD Guest

    Tom or Mary wrote:
    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Salmon, oysters, desserts with apples or blackberries, Washington State
    wines.
    Seattle's Best roasters are in Seattle but obviously the coffee isn't
    native to the area.

    Go Seahawks!

    SD - a transplanted Washingtonian living in the coffee country of
    Honduras.

  3. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    Tom or Mary wrote:
    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Soup... lots of it. kev

  4. [email protected] writes:
    >I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    >would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    >Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    >my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.

    pho

    teriyaki

    Mighty O donuts

    Jones Soda

  5. SD

    SD Guest

    Tom or Mary wrote:
    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Salmon, oysters, desserts with apples or blackberries, Washington State
    wines.
    Seattle's Best roasters are in Seattle but obviously the coffee isn't
    native to the area.

    Go Seahawks!

    SD - a transplanted Washingtonian living in the coffee country of
    Honduras.

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Tom or Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl.
    >What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native"
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be
    > on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.

    Tom, I don't know much about Seattle foods (other than coffee and crab, or
    maybe some kind of cute MicroSoft-themed something or other...or some food
    in the shape of the Space Needle....or maybe Seahawk wings?).

    But here's a question for you.....What Pittsburgh foods are there
    (especially that would be suitable for SuperBowl munchies)? What do they
    call hoagies there....is it bulkies? And there's something interesting with
    french fries, right? What else? Thanks!

    Chris

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:58:01 -0500, "Tom or Mary"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    >would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    >Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    >my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.

    BBQ chipped ham sandwiches, Italian wedding soup, Klondike bars,
    fried zucchini, Clark Bars, Iron City Beer, turtle soup, turkey
    Devonshire, Big Macs.

    And if your Seattle fans don't like it, they can go to hell.

    -sw

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:14:36 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >But here's a question for you.....What Pittsburgh foods are there
    >(especially that would be suitable for SuperBowl munchies)? What do they
    >call hoagies there...

    Hoagies.

    > is it bulkies?

    ???

    >And there's something interesting with french fries, right? What else? Thanks

    French fries are used on a Primanti Bros sandwich (along with
    cole-slaw). For other Pittsburgh foods, see my previous post.

    -sw

  9. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Tom or Mary wrote:
    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Now tell us what we should serve to represent Pittsburgh.

    gloria p

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:58:01 -0500, "Tom or Mary"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > >would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > >Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > >my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > >coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.

    > BBQ chipped ham sandwiches, Italian wedding soup, Klondike bars,
    > fried zucchini, Clark Bars, Iron City Beer, turtle soup, turkey
    > Devonshire, Big Macs.
    >
    > And if your Seattle fans don't like it, they can go to hell.
    >
    > -sw

    LOL!! That's tellin' 'im!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tom, I don't know much about Seattle foods (other than coffee and crab, or
    > maybe some kind of cute MicroSoft-themed something or other...or some food
    > in the shape of the Space Needle....

    Actually, some of the downtown souvenir shops sell bags of pasta shaped
    like our iconic landmark: "Space Noodles."

    > or maybe Seahawk wings?).

    I'm still not sure if "seahawk" refers to a real creature, or the
    stylized bird images that appear in the art of Native Americans of the
    NW.

    Maybe it refers to the stuff that CJ and I once had at a restaurant in
    Port Angeles. We ordered Tandoori chicken, and it was nasty. Dry,
    tough, and flavorless. When we walked out of the restaurant we noticed
    a large group of seagulls in the alley behind the restaurant, picking at
    garbage. Right next to the kitchen door. Ever since then, we've
    referred to that joint as the "Tandoori Seagull" restaurant.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tom or Mary wrote:
    >> I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl.
    >> What
    >> would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native"
    >> Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be
    >> on
    >> my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >> coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Soup... lots of it. kev

    Seattle's Best is roasted in Seattle. Their beans are from everywhere.
    Dee Dee

  13. ms. tonya

    ms. tonya Guest

    [email protected]ROTE:
    I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl.
    What would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be
    "native" to Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer
    Ale would be on my list, but I do not think it is available in the area.
    Seattle's best coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is
    really from Seattle.
    Tom------------------------------------------------
    RESPONSE: Since super bowl sunday is being played in our city of Detroit
    how about preparing good old Motown menu instead.
    Natural casing coney dogs with chili fries,
    boston coolers made with our vernors soda.

  14. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Tom or Mary wrote:
    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Ivars (restaurant or seafood bar)

    Dicks Drive in

  15. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Denise~* wrote:

    > Tom or Mary wrote:
    >
    >> I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super
    >> Bowl. What
    >> would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be
    >> "native" to
    >> Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would
    >> be on
    >> my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >> coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Ivars (restaurant or seafood bar)
    >
    > Dicks Drive in

    Oops, that question went right over my head. I was thinking you were
    going to BE in Seattle.

    Make a cake that has cut up mountain bars in it.

    Big bowl of Almond Roca

    Tims Cascade Potato Chips

    Nalley Chilly

  16. SD

    SD Guest

    Julian Vrieslander wrote:

    > I'm still not sure if "seahawk" refers to a real creature, or the
    > stylized bird images that appear in the art of Native Americans of the
    > NW.

    It's another name for the osprey.

    SD

  17. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

  18. [email protected] writes:

    >"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Tom or Mary wrote:
    >>> I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl.
    >>> What
    >>> would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native"
    >>> Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be
    >>> on
    >>> my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >>> coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >> Soup... lots of it. kev
    >>

    >Seattle's Best is roasted in Seattle. Their beans are from everywhere.
    >Dee Dee

    and ironically it happens to be the worst roast in Seattle!

  19. SD

    SD Guest

    tert in seattle wrote:
    > [email protected] writes:
    > >
    > >"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]

    > >> Soup... lots of it. kev
    > >>

    > >Seattle's Best is roasted in Seattle. Their beans are from everywhere.
    > >Dee Dee

    > and ironically it happens to be the worst roast in Seattle!

    IMHO, Starbucks aka Charbucks is far worse.

    SD

  20. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tom or Mary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    > would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    > Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    > my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    > coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >
    > Tom

    Salmon. Not Atlantic farm-raised salmon, but Pacific salmon.
    Smoked salmon. Not lox, but hot-smoked Pacific salmon.
    Salmon jerky.
    Mussels, clams, Dungeness crab, oysters.
    Pho and teriyaki.
    Hum bow (Chinese baked buns), banh mi sandwiches, and potstickers.
    Asparagus.
    Macrina bakery bread.
    Top Pot doughnuts.
    Washington state Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or Pinot Noir.
    Caffe d'Arte coffee (the SO's local favorite).
    Blackberry, blueberry, cherry, or apple crisp.
    Snoqualmie ice cream.

    We live in a foodie promised land.

    Cindy

    --