Seattle Food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tom or Mary, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Tom wrote:

    > I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl.
    > What would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be
    > "native" to Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer
    > Ale would be on my list, but I do not think it is available in the area.
    > Seattle's best coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really
    > from Seattle.

    I just returned from a quick road trip to Seattle, and I visited the Pike
    Place Market while I was there. For the "Seattle Experience" party, I'd
    recommend oyster shooters, salmon (steelhead would be even more authentic,
    if you can get it) which is either grilled or alder-smoked, hot apple cider,
    and seafood chowder. This time of year, there's not much in the way of
    produce. I asked about the berries I saw, and was told that they were from
    southern California.

    Bob

  2. ms. tonya wrote:

    > boston coolers made with our vernors soda.

    What is a "boston cooler"?

    Bob

  3. sisyphus

    sisyphus Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:59:05 GMT, Cindy Fuller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tom or Mary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    >> would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    >> Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    >> my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >> coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Salmon. Not Atlantic farm-raised salmon, but Pacific salmon.
    >Smoked salmon. Not lox, but hot-smoked Pacific salmon.
    >Salmon jerky.
    >Mussels, clams, Dungeness crab, oysters.
    >Pho and teriyaki.
    >Hum bow (Chinese baked buns), banh mi sandwiches, and potstickers.
    >Asparagus.
    >Macrina bakery bread.
    >Top Pot doughnuts.
    >Washington state Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or Pinot Noir.
    >Caffe d'Arte coffee (the SO's local favorite).
    >Blackberry, blueberry, cherry, or apple crisp.
    >Snoqualmie ice cream.
    >
    >We live in a foodie promised land.
    >
    >Cindy

    Cindy has mase a great summation here.
    I might add Washington state Shiraz or Cab to the wine list,
    Almond Roca(ahh..Frederick and Nelson),
    Jones Soda,
    Numerous microbrews to choose from(Redhook should be readily
    available, as it is now owned by Anheiser-Busch),
    Good call on the Caffe d"Arte (Is Torrefazzione still around?),
    Nettle Soup,
    Try alder or cedar planking the salmon.

    Seattle's Best Coffee used to be Stewart Brothers Coffee and is now
    owned by Starbuck's.

    -sysiphus

  4. sisyphus

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tom or Mary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I am from Pittsburgh, and we will be playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. What
    >> would be people's suggestions for foods to serve which would be "native" to
    >> Seattle. So far I figure Dungeness crabs, and coffee. Rainer Ale would be on
    >> my list, but I do not think it is available in the area. Seattle's best
    >> coffee is sold in Pittsuburgh, but I wonder if it is really from Seattle.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Salmon. Not Atlantic farm-raised salmon, but Pacific salmon.
    >Smoked salmon. Not lox, but hot-smoked Pacific salmon.
    >Salmon jerky.
    >Mussels, clams, Dungeness crab, oysters.
    >Pho and teriyaki.
    >Hum bow (Chinese baked buns), banh mi sandwiches, and potstickers.
    >Asparagus.
    >Macrina bakery bread.
    >Top Pot doughnuts.
    >Washington state Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or Pinot Noir.
    >Caffe d'Arte coffee (the SO's local favorite).
    >Blackberry, blueberry, cherry, or apple crisp.
    >Snoqualmie ice cream.
    >
    >We live in a foodie promised land.
    >
    >Cindy

    Cindy has mase a great summation here.
    I might add Washington state Shiraz or Cab to the wine list,
    Almond Roca(ahh..Frederick and Nelson),
    Jones Soda,
    Numerous microbrews to choose from(Redhook should be readily
    available, as it is now owned by Anheiser-Busch),
    Good call on the Caffe d"Arte (Is Torrefazzione still around?),
    Nettle Soup,
    Try alder or cedar planking the salmon.

    Seattle's Best Coffee used to be Stewart Brothers Coffee and is now
    owned by Starbuck's.

    -sysiphus

  5. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sisyphus <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:59:05 GMT, Cindy Fuller
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Salmon. Not Atlantic farm-raised salmon, but Pacific salmon.
    > >Smoked salmon. Not lox, but hot-smoked Pacific salmon.
    > >Salmon jerky.
    > >Mussels, clams, Dungeness crab, oysters.
    > >Pho and teriyaki.
    > >Hum bow (Chinese baked buns), banh mi sandwiches, and potstickers.
    > >Asparagus.
    > >Macrina bakery bread.
    > >Top Pot doughnuts.
    > >Washington state Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or Pinot Noir.
    > >Caffe d'Arte coffee (the SO's local favorite).
    > >Blackberry, blueberry, cherry, or apple crisp.
    > >Snoqualmie ice cream.
    > >
    > >We live in a foodie promised land.
    > >
    > >Cindy

    > Cindy has mase a great summation here.
    > I might add Washington state Shiraz or Cab to the wine list,
    > Almond Roca(ahh..Frederick and Nelson),
    > Jones Soda,
    > Numerous microbrews to choose from(Redhook should be readily
    > available, as it is now owned by Anheiser-Busch),
    > Good call on the Caffe d"Arte (Is Torrefazzione still around?),
    > Nettle Soup,
    > Try alder or cedar planking the salmon.
    >
    > Seattle's Best Coffee used to be Stewart Brothers Coffee and is now
    > owned by Starbuck's.

    Torrefazzioni (sp?) is still around, but they mostly do institutional
    coffee supplies. The cafeterias at Swedish (where I work) serve their
    coffees. A little way north, on Capitol Hill, is Espresso Vivace. SO
    likes this place as well. The Vivace people are almost as obsessive
    compulsive as he is about coffee. Zoka near Green Lake and University
    Village has decent loose teas as well as coffees. (I am a member of a
    put-upon minority group in Seattle--I prefer tea to coffee.)

    Almond Roca has diversified into Cashew Roca, Mocha Roca, and Roca made
    with crushed candy canes. The original is still the best.

    And how could I forget geoducks???

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller