seawater

Asian Allez

Sep 3, 2005
i was riding around the beach today, and the bike has been wet with some seawater. i wiped it all down, and just cleaned my chain yesterday. is there anything i should do?

Rinse it down with a lot of fresh water. Don't think about it, just do it.

Not bike related but my brother ran his RC monster truck into some brackish water (about 50/50 sea/fresh water) and his exposed metal parts all started to rust almost right away.

Seawater corrosion is a big concern up here in the NorthEast with cars and bikes... I live less than a mile from the coast and you can smell the salt in the air most days; treat it seriously if you love or even like your bike. Salt water, even salt air is a killer of beloved metal objects. Wash it, wash it, wash it ;)

PCC said:
Rinse it down with a lot of fresh water. Don't think about it, just do it.

Not bike related but my brother ran his RC monster truck into some brackish water (about 50/50 sea/fresh water) and his exposed metal parts all started to rust almost right away.

wash it real , real , fast in fresh water as saline eats ali real fast .

Asian Allez said:
how do i wash it off if im at a college dorm? i have no hose, only bathroom sink
Sneak it into the shower stall at 3:00am? Hell, if it used to work with my ex-wife, it ought to work for a bike!:p