Sebrango cycling lessons

Apr 11, 2005
As a public service to Canadian cycling, to make the CCA's new Director of Marketing Operations entry into cycling as quick and painless as possible, I have decided to give her a cycling lesson every day or two. Maybe that way we won't lose yet another season as she figures out how things work.

As you have probably heard, Ms. Sebrango has no experience in cycling at all. Some people might think that would make it hard to market the sport.

After all, cycling is not like soccer where she spent ten years.

Soccer is just one game. One set of rules everybody plays the same.

Pretty easy to market that.

Cycling has four completely different disicplines, five if you count downhill (see, it is already getting complicated, we will get to the disciplines at another date. I have all the time in the world...), with those four disciplines there are all kinds of different events.

This isn't simple stuff.

Of course, had the CCA hired somebody that knew something about cycling it would have been much easier but then that person would have known more than his/her boss.

Anyway, here is Kim's first lesson. Steve Lacelle the Chief Operating Officer of the CCA, her boss, may want to follow along, too, since he knew nothing about cycling four months ago.

Today's Lesson

La Flamme Rouge/The Red Flame(flag):

We have red flags in cycling, just like soccer, but our red flags are a good thing, they indicate 1 kilometre to go to the finish and they are usually MARKETED to a sponsor.

More question Kim will have on her mind that we will get to in future lessons:

What's the Legacy Fund?

Who are Pierre Hutsebaut, Linda Jackson and Brian Jolly (please, please tell me she is NOT wondering who Steve Bauer is...!)

What happened in Hamilton in 2003.

What did CCA President Bill Kinash write in December 2003

There's a national cycling centre at McMaster?

What do they do there? (don't feel about this one, Kim, nobody knows the answer to that.)

Does Canada have a domestic racing scene?
Where are the races?

What's a criterium?

We sanction downhill but we do not support it? (again, Kim, nobody gets this one either)

So many questions, so little time.

Had the CCA hired somebody who knew something of the sport and its history maybe there would not be as many questions.

See you at the next cycling tournament.......

If I were her I would look to a lawyer to see what they can do about you - or CCA should move to bring some form of action against you.

Your attacks against this person are mean spirited and driven only by the fact that you got shut out again because you dno't have the requisite qualifications for the position.

you are a mean man Ed ... is that how your mother raised you?

"you dno't (sic) have the requisite qualifications for the position."

Yeah, given that I only have secured over $1,000,000 in sponsorship already in CYCLING.

I lacked experience in soccer and skating!

I suppose the CCA coud stop me from writing to them.

I'm not sure how they could stop me from writing to anybody else. They might like to see what everybody else getting.

I am factual in my wring.

Sebrango has no cycling experience whatsoever or the CCA would have surely mentioned it their introductory press release about her, don't you think?

Even they are not so stupid as to omit that, are they?

Sub 55 if learned something about cycling you could offer your own cycling lessons to Kim Sebrango.

Why not help out and do something positive for a change.

You could add that to the big list of your cyclign accomplishments posted here before.

Lets see ... I suspect that they have weighted the qualifications required between skills/expertise, knowledge and personal suitability. I also suspect that they screened on those dimensions - and in fact may have done some pre-interview reference checks. Just to weed out those that look good "on paper" and those that are walking disasters - time bombs waiting to go off.

So under "Personal Suitability" - factors such as the following would have been evaluated:

1. Ability to get along with others
2. Ability to work as part of a team
3. Ability to follow instructions and accept criticism
4. Ability to be loyal to the employer

I also suspect they may have been mandatory requirements - in other words a poor score or a fail in any of those would have turfed the candidate.

Get the picture Ed. On paper you may look good - scratch the surface and you better run for the calmine lotion

Being pleasant won't get the difficult job done.

Do you think knowing even less about cycling than a boss who knows very little was a factor?

Eddie Arzouian said:
Being pleasant won't get the difficult job done.

Do you think knowing even less about cycling than a boss who knows very little was a factor?
And being a nutter would help? Did you try and psot again on CC and Pedal forum? I see there are more posts removed. Have you been trying all night?

Holy smokes, you have your own forum here now, having hijacked this one, so why do you need to keep on trying to invade theirs? They don't want you and don't need to allow you. They can do what they want, so stop making yourself seem even crazier by driving around Canada and finding a new computer to post from!!!

Good day sir.

Uboat said:
And being a nutter would help? Did you try and psot again on CC and Pedal forum? I see there are more posts removed. Have you been trying all night?
LOL. Good questions.

I have not posted on CC in a few days. Probably somebody else tried to post what I had written and they removed that too. Try it, they will remove your post too.

I did post to Pedal. I'm not sure how or why it works. I can seem to log on there once a day. Maybe it has something to do with my ISP, I really don't know. I can no longer get on there today.

Of course, anybody there is free to post whatever they like abuot me, the same rules don't apply, there's that double standard, remember?

I even have my own thread there and it is the most popular. I love the hypocrisy of that!

Maybe Benjy the Shoddy Editor allow me one post and then removes it to generate more traffic, who knows...who cares.

Maybe I should wait until the lunch hour, the post might stay up longer.

Someone posted a great answer on CC or pedal about how neither sites have to let anyone post they don't want to. Ed, you seem to be a big letters to the editor writer--do you think they post all the letters each issue of a paper or magazine? It's THEIR site, they can publish or print whomever they wish, or NOT publish whomever they wish. Why don't you get that? You look incredibly juvenile (and CRAZY) when you try posting all hours of the day and they just keep blocking you.

There's nothing "hypocritical" about them editing or removing yours or anyone's posts--they own the space, they get to do what they want. Why don't you start your own forum like people suggested instead of hijacking this one? Then you can allow or disallow whomever you wish.

Eddie Arzouian said:
I have not posted on CC in a few days. Probably somebody else tried to post what I had written and they removed that too. Try it, they will remove your post too.

I did post to Pedal. I'm not sure how or why it works. I can seem to log on there once a day. Maybe it has something to do with my ISP, I really don't know. I can no longer get on there today.

Of course, anybody there is free to post whatever they like abuot me, the same rules don't apply, there's that double standard, remember?

I even have my own thread there and it is the most popular. I love the hypocrisy of that!

Maybe Benjy the Shoddy Editor allow me one post and then removes it to generate more traffic, who knows...who cares.

Maybe I should wait until the lunch hour, the post might stay up longer.

Uboat said:
There's nothing "hypocritical" about them editing or removing yours or anyone's posts--they own the space, they get to do what they want. Why don't you start your own forum like people suggested instead of hijacking this one? Then you can allow or disallow whomever you wish.
You do not think it is hypocrtical to allow posts about an indivudal and NOT allow that individual to respond?

Show me one newspaper or magazine that publishes something about somebody and will not let the subject respond.

It is the ultimate hypocrisy. They allow anybody to write almost anything at all about me, no matter what and I am not even allowed to post to a thread where I am the subject title.

Think about that one before you send back some glib response.

At the very least the editors should be removing posts about me. If I had an extra $1000 or so to waste I would sue them but for now I cannot be bothered.

Eddie Arzouian said:
If I had an extra $1000 or so to waste I would sue them but for now I cannot be bothered.
LMAO! Too much! Indeed, not everyone is worthy of being in Ed's "$1K Club", like your truly.

Mr. Arzouian,

It's their site. They can do whatever the **** they want.

Good Day Sir.

Eddie Arzouian said:
You do not think it is hypocrtical to allow posts about an indivudal and NOT allow that individual to respond?

Show me one newspaper or magazine that publishes something about somebody and will not let the subject respond.

It is the ultimate hypocrisy. They allow anybody to write almost anything at all about me, no matter what and I am not even allowed to post to a thread where I am the subject title.

Think about that one before you send back some glib response.

At the very least the editors should be removing posts about me. If I had an extra $1000 or so to waste I would sue them but for now I cannot be bothered.

Uboat said:
Mr. Arzouian,

It's their site. They can do whatever the **** they want.

Good Day Sir.
Actually, no, they cannot.

Were I to take the trouble and expense of going to any court in the land and demanding they remove threads about me if they will not let me respond every court would have them pull those threads about me. It is only common sense.

Ask around...

I don't do it, one because of the expense, two, because I like to point out the hypocrisy every now and then, at least for now.

Would that court case be a sure-win like the other one I've heard about that you launched?

Eddie Arzouian said:
Actually, no, they cannot.

Were I to take the trouble and expense of going to any court in the land and demanding they remove threads about me if they will not let me respond every court would have them pull those threads about me. It is only common sense.

Ask around...

I don't do it, one because of the expense, two, because I like to point out the hypocrisy every now and then, at least for now.

There are no sure wins in court, but that doesn't stop the spin, and if you ever find yourself in court you will want to spin, everybody does.

If you are criticizing me for making an erroneous predictions, I guess you are correct. I was wrong. It was worth trying the case , though. You have to take a chance every now and then, Uboat, or life is too boring.

I saw this posted on Pedal or CC once and it was a descxription of Ed ... if it is true it explains why you can never win an argument with him:

Narcisstic Personality Disorder:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

3. requires excessive admiration

4. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

5. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

6. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

7. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

You can criticize me all you want but it changes nothing.

I am certainly not deterred.

Furthermore, am I the one with no cycling experience at all in a position of authority at the Canadian Cycling Association? what do you gain by criticizing me? Doe sit change anything?

You claim to know something about Canadian cycling , Sub 55, so tell me, in all your travels across Canada racing bikes, in all the people you have met, all the race organizers and association directors and staff, all the former riders, team managers, coaches, commissaires, industry employees, of all those people, do you mean to tell me not one of them is better qualified to work for the CCA than somebody with a mediocre record in soccer and skating?

Are you aware of ANY breakthrough-type promotion or sponsorship in CDN soccer?

When was the last time you bought a piece of Soccer Canada merchandise?

When was the last time you watched a Canadian soccer game on TV?

When was the last time you read a newspaper story on top-level Canadian soccer, other than the Montreal Impact?

Soccer Canada with about 500,000 little kids playing does not have any high profile marketing effort to speak of. Without those numbers to offer to sponsors what tool do you think Kim Sebrango brings to the table? Holy **** man, give the CCA 500,000 riders and a chimpanzee could find a national sponsors and get a TV deal signed. We do more with 5000 participants nation-wide than soccer with 500,000. You think somebody used to handling soccer will do a better job with cycling, a sport she knows nothing about? No way!

In fact, cycling with relatively few racers get more media coverage. Certainly more people are aware of riders in Tim Horton's TV ads doen early on than ANY soccer players in Canada.

So does it make sense to hire somebody who had about 75 to 100 times more players to work with that got less return than cycling did without a Marketing Director for two years?

Can you think of any other sport in Canada that has its two top spots filled by people with absolutely no experience, none at all in the sport? this is very basic stuff.

It makes no sense AT ALL.

So **** me all you want. It changes NOTHING. In fact, it probably makes me more determined.

Let our sport be run by people who have no understanding of its history, no understanding of its past successes or failures, people who are going into it completely blind.

Waste more time if you want.

In the end I will still be here and when they fail I will drive the point home.

The only positve change we have had in three years is the re-instatement of the Official National Critierum Championship and that would NEVER have happenned without me constantly bringing it up.

Thank you for verifying ... 1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Eddie Arzouian said:

Are you aware of ANY breakthrough-type promotion or sponsorship in CDN soccer?
http://www.cibc.com/ca/inside-cibc/cibc-your-community/sponsorship/soccer.html

I'd imagine that a $4.3 million committment from CIBC isn't a bad start.

Eddie Arzouian said:
When was the last time you bought a piece of Soccer Canada merchandise?
Not since I was a kid, but I'm not an active soccer player. Haven't bought any Hockey Canada stuff either, and it's everywhere. I think I've seen CSA stuff in stores out here, though.

Eddie Arzouian said:
When was the last time you watched a Canadian soccer game on TV?
Couple of weeks ago on Sportsnet or TSN. I watched the national men's U20 team playing in Holland.

Eddie Arzouian said:
When was the last time you read a newspaper story on top-level Canadian soccer, other than the Montreal Impact?
Today in the Vancouver Sun:
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=8ad191c7-a039-46de-b14f-b6c6225e4563

June 27 in the Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1119823810160&DPL=JvsODSH7Aw0u%2bwoRO%2bYKDSblFxAk%2bwoVO%2bYODSbhFxAg%2bwkRO%2bUPDSXiFxMh%2bwkZO%2bUCDSTmFxIk%2bw8RO%2bMKDSPkFxUj%2bw8UO%2bMNDSPgFxUv%2bw8YO%2bILDSLkFxQh1w%3d%3d&tacodalogin=yes

You mean this that was done TWO YEARS AFTER Sebrango left!!!:eek:

"Reflecting CIBC's commitment to growing amateur sport in Canada, CIBC is proud to sponsor the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA). The program is a $4.3 million, 5-year (2004-2008) sponsorship agreement that is unprecedented in the CSA's history and positions CIBC as the exclusive, Diamond sponsor of the Canadian Soccer Association."

"Unprecedented in Canadian Soccer Asscoation history"!!!!!

They had to get rid of Sebrango after ten years to get it done. I love it. She was the only thing holding them back. I guess that's how she ended up at Skate Canada.

The year after she leaves Soccer Canada lands a big contract. Hey, here's an idea, maybe if she leaves cycling right now BEFORE failing here like she did there, cycling will land a big deal, too.

Thanks for proving my point!

I'm shitting myself here laughing, I have to go change my shorts...
:)

nbf, why don't you go do some research for me at Skate Canada, go check out the great job done there that sent her to cycling....

nbf, you made my day. I'm sending this off to all media and the CCA.....