Sebrango cycling lessons

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Eddie Arzouian, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Jasmineminor

Jasmineminor New Member

and fired for them too. seems you have been let go or have left after a great deal of upheaval from all previous cycling positions

you seem to have burned all your bridges in cycling

2. Fausto Coppied

Fausto Coppied New Member

There are no bridges to burn in Canadian cycling.

Look around.

There is nothing.

We may not even have a national road championship. Used to be, should still be that cities across Canada bid to get the Natioal Road Championships as a privilege. Now they are something forced upon cities (or villages) at the last minute as a burden.

The number of teams is getting smaller not bigger.

There are fewer events.

Prize money is next to non-exist while registration fees have skyrocketed.

There is no media coverage outside of two small cycling publications or Jeanson's drug situation.

The best riders have to leave the country.

The facts speak for themselves.

Many people want to burn the CCA and start all over again with a new federation. They should.

PS Yes, my last job in cycling I was fired for trying to create a legacy for the sport while Neil Lumsden and David Braley ,with the approval of Pierre Hutsebaut who had a deal under the table with them to illegally pay his niece from France $35,000, were syphoning money and equipment to the CFL. What did we get from the 2003 Worlds? Next to nothing. We are told there is a legacy fund but nothing is being done with it. I was told to keep this quiet but refused. I was one of the few people working in Hamilton that was looking out for the sport.

3. Jasmineminor

Jasmineminor New Member

really? There are some big races in Canada is I read the calendar correctly.

Tour de Beauce is a UCI race for men

The women's World Cup and Montreal Grand tour

The Tour de PEI

Tour de Abitibi

Montreal Boston

Montreal Quebec

and BC super week.

I would think that there would be lots of work for someone who can bring the right mix to those events.

That Symmetrics team seems to be making a real impression and has some of the countries best riders.

Maybe you should start a company to promote racing? You should be able to attract some big sponsors. Then p you can put on a bang up Nationals to show how it can be done and then expand to a couple big races. The US riders would come wouldn't they? .. there are some big teams down there, with some Canadian riders too I see,

4. Fausto Coppied

US rides used to come to Canadian races. They hardly do now.

Beauce has been around for years. It is the only big men's race in the country.

Abitibi is for Juniors.

All the rest are for women.

Look at the races you mentioend. Almost all are in Quebec.

Nothing in Ontario, Canada's richest and most populated prvicne. There's a huge source of the problem right now.

There is not one big race west of Quebec and east BC. What happenned to Alberta, Manitoba? Saskatchewan has NEVER had a big race. Never! Thank Bill Kinash and his 20 years of destroying the sport there for that.

Nobody will organize a big event with the CCA in the shambles it is in.

Symmetrics is harly making a dent outside of BC and outside of the cycling press. You have gotten so used to mediocrity you have no idea what real success is. Evian had NATIONAL recognition and two hundred pages of mainstream press clippings a year from across the country. Mention Symmterics to anybody outside of the sport and they will not have a clue what you are talking about. School kids in Quebec (all over Quebec) used to make posters of Evian riders and their pink jerseys and bring them to races.

You have no idea what was, so you have no idea what can be.

5. Fausto Coppied

Jasmine, you should quit now, you're embarassing yourself with your lack of knowledge and perspective. Even Gord Fraser said at his retirement dinner that the racing scene in Canada is nowhere near what it was 15 years ago.

Guys were making $40,000 to $60,000 a year racing in Canada for Canadian teams. What do they make now

6. Fausto Coppied

Looks like Jasmine only posts on company time. She doesn't work weekends. She must be at the CCA....

7. Jasmineminor

Jasmineminor New Member

No I have a family that takes up my time on weekends. Do you have one?

15 Years ago many people were making more $$ than they are now. Here in Ontario layoffs in the public service, manufacturing, natural resources & auto industry means many people are now self employed..What's your point?

15 Years ago many 'things' were a lot different than they are now, cycling is not the only thing that has taken a "hit".

Living in the past hmmm! get over yourself

Got something against quebec?

Got something against juniors? Most racers started out as juniors didn't they? mine are currently racing as cadets & juniors.

a misogynist too?

Man have YOU got problems!

8. Fausto Coppied

I'm from Quebec and half French-Canadian so I certainly have nothing against it. In fact, it's probably going to always be home.

Why doesn't Ontario have a decent race?

Why doesn't Manitoba have a decent race?

Why doesn't Alberta have a decent race?

They all used to.

Why do the best riders in Canada now have to go the the US when they could once stay here and earn a great living and be known throughout their hometowns and province?

Why are other sports blossoming while cycling is dying?

Why does Ski Canada have $13,000,000 in budget while cycling has $2.5 million? They get about he same from Sport Canada. Please do not try to tell me skiing is six times more popular than cycling because it is not. Do not tell me that international skiing results are now much better than cycling, because they are not. In fact demographically more people have bikes then skis. So why is it?

It is because the Canadian Cycling Association has had its head up its as for about 10 years. How can you expect somebody that knows nothing about the sport to lead it?

Twice the CCA has made th esame mistake in 18 mnths.

Who does the CCA have to represent the sport to corporate Canada? They have a pudgy, late-middled-aged woman who has never competed in anything and who knows nothing about the sport trying to tell sponsors it is hip and trendy. She should be selling dish soap! They are dead out of the gate.
    You need not believe me. We can continue to watch the failure.

9. Fausto Coppied

Over 10,000 views.

That's a beautiful thing.

Thank you for reading.

Canadian cyclists, take back your sport from these pencil pushing, lifetime Sport Canada hacks before it is too late.

Put somebody in charge of the sport that knows something about it.

Get rid of deadweight, window dressing like Kim Sebrango and Lorraine Lafreniere.

Ask yourselves, how did two women who know nothing about the sport of cycling end up in the most importnat postions at the Canadian CYCLING Association.

Enough insanity.

Let's have some common sense for a change.

10. roadrasher12

roadrasher12 New Member

[/QUOTE]Enough insanity.

Let's have some common sense for a change.[/QUOTE]
    Ed/Fausto whoever... I've been viewing your posts here and on other forums for quite awhile now, and while I agree with some of your points I feel your approach doesn't do you any favours.
    I have one simple question for you.
    Other than yourself who do you think is qualified to run the CCA?
    It's obvious to me that you've made a few enemies within the sport which probably means the job will never be yours. So who then?
    Please try to be objective.
    Maybe you should quietly put your energy behind a suitable candidate instead of trumpeting your own horn so loudly and getting in various pissing contests
    Respectfully,
    the Roadrasher
    Calgary Alberta.

11. Fausto Coppied

Valid question.

I would certainly support a good candidate for the position of CCA Director General or Chief Operating Officer or Executive Director or whatever new title they choose to slap on the post.

A good candidate would have to be someone with extensive managerial and executive experience in the sport of CYCLING, ideally at a professional level. That could be a former rider with additional corporate experience, that could be an organizer, it could be someone from the bike business (retail wholesale, bikes or components and accessories). BTW, I have all that experience and more.

As for specific names, I am not sure of everyone who has been interested in the position.

I know Lister Farrar and Brett Stewart applied the last time around (2005 or 2006). Both have a lot of experience. Lister probably has more and broader experience. However, both have been around the CCA for at least 10 years. Lister for 20. Since they have been there that long and not taken more of a leadership role, maybe they are not up to the task.

Louis Barbeau of the Quebec Federation could run the CCA very well. I doubt Louis would ever leave Quebec.

A guy like Ross Chafe could be interesting but Ross is probably making more money in the private sector than if he went to the CCA, although if the CCA set up a nice compensation package based on commissions on monetary financial sponsorships a good candidate could make over $200,000 per year if he/she started pulling down million dollar deals like in skiing.

A guy like my former business partner and old teammate Stephen Le Beau still currently at Outdoor Gear Canada, as far as I know, could do the job.

There are probably a few newer people from mountain biking that could do the job but they would have to understand that road racing is what will save the sport, not MTB, not BMX. Track racing could revive it if we have a few more inner city velodromes. That would be media friendly.

So, if others want to step forward I would be more than willing to support a good candidate. Anything would be better than these two women we have now who have ZERO CYCLING EXPERIENCE.

It makes no sense for the person leading the sport for the country to be learning it on the job. Have them start at a local or provincial level before stepping into the national and international scene.

Again, this is only common sense.

12. roadrasher12

roadrasher12 New Member

respectfully.
    roadrasher

13. Fausto Coppied

Dear Roadrasher,

Here are some responses to your further questions. My original commnet in bold, your reply in italics, my response in red.

Louis Barbeau of the Quebec Federation could run the CCA very well. I doubt Louis would ever leave Quebec.

Why? does the Quebec job pay more? more prestige attached? nationalistic reasons?

Quebec probably pays about the same. Louis likes it in QC, he knows the scene, his family and friends are there, he probably would not want the added problems and pressures.

although if the CCA set up a nice compensation package based on commissions on monetary financial sponsorships a good candidate could make over $200,000 per year if he/she started pulling down million dollar deals like in skiing.

I'm not sure trying to equate skiing and cycling works for me. IMO cycling will never reach the level of skiing in our national consciouness.
    Can that level of corporate support realistically be reached?

I think the swimming scene could be used as a good barometer. a strong program that has fallen on hard times.
    Did they not bring back Alex Baumann (sp) to lead the program? What kind of sponsorship does swimming pull in?

I think skiing and cycling are very similar. Cyclign is actually far accessible to most people You have to understand the difference between cycling and swimming. Swimming does not have a professional aspect that cycling does. Sure, the top swimmers make good cash in other countries but swimming is not a pro sport. We have to stop thinking of cycling like it was swimming or rowing or running and think of it as hockey, baseball, football or pro soccer.

There are probably a few newer people from mountain biking that could do the job but they would have to understand that road racing is what will save the sport, not MTB, not BMX. Track racing could revive it if we have a few more inner city velodromes. That would be media friendly.

How will road racing save the sport in Canada? based on what? do enough people know or even care about road racing?, look at the results from the MTB riders for a few years now MTB has been the face of our sport why not capitilize on that?
    Read and Baumann are obviously very visible names in their respective sports so why not eventually someone like an Alison Sydor or even Roland Green as a visible and media savvy leader supported by a solid group in the background

Road racing is what the media likes. Road racing is the top cycling discpline in the real world. It is like F1 compared to rally racing in car racing. Now, MTBers do not want hear that but it is so. Cycling in Canada has faded from the limelight as MTBiking has grown. People do not want hear this or admit it but every indicator makes it so. There are fewer events, fewer sponsors, less prize money, much less mainstream media coverage. Almost any parameter you want to use indicates cycling has fallen from its Canadian heyday of the late 1980s and early 1990s. All those glory years were made possbile by only two or three sponsors. Canadian Tire in events and Evian and Magicuts in teams. That was all it took. CDN Tire $750,000 a year for 5 years, hardly a fortune in terms of markting or promotions, that's all it takes. One one million dollar sponsors would generate all that is required to regenerate the sport.

Sure, Sydor or Green could maybe do the job but I am unaware of an corporate or organizational work they have done. They are riders. They may make good managers or exectuives but without experience doing who knows, so I don't think they should be starting at the top of the CCA.

So, if others want to step forward I would be more than willing to support a good candidate. Anything would be better than these two women we have now who have ZERO CYCLING EXPERIENCE.

Agreed

Pretty simple, huh? Why can't the directors of the CCA get that?

It makes no sense for the person leading the sport for the country to be learning it on the job. Have them start at a local or provincial level before stepping into the national and international scene.

what would it take to get Martin Barras back? Do you think he'd be up for the job or even want it for that matter?
    Who knows. I have not spoken to Martin in years. He is doing fine overseas. They have a bigger budget and better rsuslts. Why would he leave for a worse deal?

14. roadrasher12

roadrasher12 New Member

I think skiing and cycling are very similar. Cyclign is actually far accessible to most people You have to understand the difference between cycling and swimming. Swimming does not have a professional aspect that cycling does. Sure, the top swimmers make good cash in other countries but swimming is not a pro sport. We have to stop thinking of cycling like it was swimming or rowing or running and think of it as hockey, baseball, football or pro soccer.

Point taken. But do you really think cycling can ever get to the level of big money stick and ball sports in North America? How?
    As I said, IMO not that many people care, so maybe equating cycling to sports of similar interest is more realistic. Now if we can get cycling in the public consciousness to the same level as skiing then maybe some money will come our way.

Road racing is what the media likes. Road racing is the top cycling discpline in the real world. It is like F1 compared to rally racing in car racing. Now, MTBers do not want hear that but it is so. Cycling in Canada has faded from the limelight as MTBiking has grown. People do not want hear this or admit it but every indicator makes it so. There are fewer events, fewer sponsors, less prize money, much less mainstream media coverage. Almost any parameter you want to use indicates cycling has fallen from its Canadian heyday of the late 1980s and early 1990s. All those glory years were made possbile by only two or three sponsors. Canadian Tire in events and Evian and Magicuts in teams. That was all it took. CDN Tire $750,000 a year for 5 years, hardly a fortune in terms of markting or promotions, that's all it takes. One one million dollar sponsors would generate all that is required to regenerate the sport.

Sure, Sydor or Green could maybe do the job but I am unaware of an corporate or organizational work they have done. They are riders. They may make good managers or exectuives but without experience doing who knows, so I don't think they should be starting at the top of the CCA.

Fair enough. But I think a visible face regardless of experience would open a few doors. Put some experienced people behind the scenes and who knows, maybe an 8 to 10 race canada cup type series could be attainable. if this could be accomplished on a Million a year. get some TV coverage, show a return for the sponsor/s then go for something bigger like a NRC full on pro event. I remeber those CT races, I was at the Edmonton event in 93 or 94.

what would it take to get Martin Barras back? Do you think he'd be up for the job or even want it for that matter?
    Who knows. I have not spoken to Martin in years. He is doing fine overseas. They have a bigger budget and better rsuslts. Why would he leave for a worse deal?

Maybe a chance to come home and rebuild the system.
    As long as the budget is realisitic of course.

Anyway,
    thanks for the dialouge.

Out,
    Rasher

15. Fausto Coppied

I think skiing and cycling are very similar. Cycling is actually far more accessible to most people You have to understand the difference between cycling and swimming. Swimming does not have a professional aspect that cycling does. Sure, the top swimmers make good cash in other countries but swimming is not a pro sport. We have to stop thinking of cycling like it was swimming or rowing or running and think of it as hockey, baseball, football or pro soccer.

Point taken. But do you really think cycling can ever get to the level of big money stick and ball sports in North America? How?
    As I said, IMO not that many people care, so maybe equating cycling to sports of similar interest is more realistic. Now if we can get cycling in the public consciousness to the same level as skiing then maybe some money will come our way.
    Cyclign can certainly get close to the stick and ball sports of North America. Remeber that about 300,000 go watch the US Pro Championships in Philly. Armstrong won a $1,000,000 prize one year by wininng the triple crown of that FirtsUnion/Wachoivia series in Pittsburgh, Philly and Trenton.
    Some US riders are making very good salaries, not multi-million dollar deals but very good six figure salaries.

Fair enough. But I think a visible face regardless of experience would open a few doors. Put some experienced people behind the scenes and who knows, maybe an 8 to 10 race canada cup type series could be attainable. if this could be accomplished on a Million a year. get some TV coverage, show a return for the sponsor/s then go for something bigger like a NRC full on pro event. I remeber those CT races, I was at the Edmonton event in 93 or 94.

Of course a visible face would be a bonus. But Curt Harnett offerred to lend his name and image to the CCA and what did the idiots at the CCA do? They voted him off after his term was up because they said he didn't do enough paper work!!!!! How stupid is that? What message does that send to other "star" riders who want to work with the CCA. All that illlustrated was how little respect the CCA has for riders and how much those board members think of themsleves. They have forgetten their raison d'etre. It isn't to push paper and hold meetings. It is to get riders and races to the next level, to grow the sport and give us racing results.

Maybe a chance to come home and rebuild the system.
    As long as the budget is realisitic of course.

Come home to be shit on by people who knwo nothign about the sport? Taking orders from people with no experience? No professional is going to do that. It is an insult to them, their experience and their trade. Lorriane Lafreniere and Kim Sebrango are an insult to the sport by the CCA, just as was voting Curt Harnett off the board and committees. It is all the same problem.

Anyway,
    thanks for the dialouge.

You're welcome.
    Out,
    Rasher

16. Fausto Coppied

CCA: another defection

So, the Canadian Cycling Association saga continues. The CCA loses another employee. They are looking for a finance person again. Didn’t they tell us this stuff was under control? Why do they have to keep re-starting from scratch? Are you still buying into the bullshit?

Why do you think they have to keep re-hiring people?

Why do so many people quit?

Answer: because the clowns in charge don't have a clue what they are doing. They put people in place like Lorraine Lafrenière and Kim Sebrango, who nobody wants to work for because they do not know anything about the sport of cycling and they do not have a clue how to run the governing body in charge of the sport.

How long people?

How long must we tolerate this failure, stupidity and mediocrity?

How long before Sport Canada steps in and says enough is enough?

How long before the provincial associations say something?

How long before cyclists decide to take back their sport?

[​IMG]

02.15.07 - Job Opening - Manager, finance & administration

Position Description: The Canadian Cycling Association (CCA), the national governing body for the sport of cycling in Canada, is seeking a full-time manager, finance & administration to manage the financial and administrative affairs of the organization. The CCA is looking for a team player with strong financial management, budgeting and organizational skills. This position requires the ability to prepare, analyze and review estimates of revenue, reimbursement, expenditures and changes in financial position; an ability to maintain accounts and records for central fiscal control and an ability to oversee the fiscal administration of special grants, funds and employee benefit programs.

The successful candidate will have:

An undergraduate degree in accounting or an acceptable combination of knowledge and experience in a related field; a certified professional designation (i.e., CGA or CMA) and experience managing people are distinct advantages
    An ability to implement internal controls and proven experience working with senior management in budget preparation and evaluation is required
    Experience maintaining ledgers; reviewing and analyzing accounts, funds, records, financial statements and fiscal procedures
    Experience reconciling bank accounts and financial reports, and in processing payment requests for cheques, purchase orders and travel expenses
    An ability to audit invoices and other financial documents to ensure completeness and correct use of account and code numbers
    Experience working with a volunteer policy board of directors
    A positive and progressive management style
    Experience and understanding of the national sport environment and knowledge and/or experience in organized competitive cycling are decided assets
    Preference will be given to candidates who are able to work in both official languages of Canada: English and French

17. Fausto Coppied

"Experience and understanding of the national sport environment and knowledge and/or experience in organized competitive cycling are decided assets"

Why does the Finance person need cycling experience?

The Executive Director of the Canadian Cycling Associatinon (Lorraine Lafreniere)and the Director of Marketing (Kim Sebrango) both had absolutely no cycling experience before being hired by the CYCLING association.

If you think about it (of course nobody at the CCA does think about it), the finance person is probably the person least likely to need cycling experience in the organization.

18. Fausto Coppied

So it is mid-March and time for an update on Canadian Cycling. What’s happening you ask?

NOTHING.

The only news in two months was that the Road Nationals were not cancelled. They will be held in Quebec foir the next two years. It appears British Columbia and Quebec are the only places left in Canada capable of organizing a road race.

What happened to the Canada Cup Series?

Nothing. No new events. No new prize money. No new sponsors. Nothing. it is not even certian the series stil exists.

Any new equipment sponsors for the Canadian Cycling Association?

No, nothing new there either. Marketing Coordinator Kim Sebrango after two years at the CCA has done nothing. She probably still has not figured out what equipment cyclists use. she has collected well over $100,000 and returned nothing.

New Chief Operating Officer Lorraine Lafrenière who knew nothing about the sport before being hired to run if for the entire country has yet to do anything except watch a Finance Director leave again, no doubt becuase he knows the trouble ahead. We have not heard a word from her.

As predicted cycling in Canada is dying a slow and painful death of a thousands cuts.

Not surprising given that the people entrusted to run it have no ties to the sport, no history of the sport, no knowledge of the sport.

Every major advance made in the last 20 years has been lost. Every 18 months the CCA must rebuild almost from scratch.

How long will riders and managers of the sport stand for it?

How long before Sport Canada steps in?

How long before a new National Cycling Association needs to be established?

I suppose we will have to wait until after the Olympics of 2008 where I predict, here and now, that Canada wil not garner one single medal in any cycling discipline except BMX, the most marginal of cycling events and the least practiced in the world which reduces the sport to a toy. That’s what former CCA President Bill Kinash and his successors and employees will have done. A complete disgrace.

A new sponsor could own the entire sport for less than $1,000,000. They could own every event in every discipline. Kim Sebrango and Lorraine Lafreniere have never put together deal anything approaching that.

19. Gregor T.

Gregor T. New Member

Dear Fausto/Eddie

Why do you continue to rant about stuff that is from 2 and 3 years old. I've checked out your Website, and you even harass CNN journalists about 9/11. Get over it and give it a rest! Yes it's Mid-March and I strongly urge you seek professional help!

Good Luck.

20. Good_Bad_Ugly

Good_Bad_Ugly New Member