Second Avenue Deli In NYC May Close :o(

The Bubbo wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>hmmm, is there any situation in which i CAN serve them with cheese or am
>>>I SOL on this one?
>>>

>>Not if you want it to be kosher. You cannot mix meat and dairy.
>>

> so...say I'm not kosher...then i could? and that would be cool?

you aren't kosher. even Jews who keep kosher are not kosher :)

--

saerah, who loves semantics

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:05:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 09:51:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>>> Bubbo?

>>> Not if you want it to be kosher. You cannot mix meat and dairy.
>>>

>> so...say I'm not kosher...then i could? and that would be cool?
>>

> Well, yes, you could then.

I'm so on this!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

sarah bennett wrote:

>> so...say I'm not kosher...then i could? and that would be cool?
>>

> you aren't kosher. even Jews who keep kosher are not kosher :)

still though...

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:05:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 09:51:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>> Bubbo?

>>> hmmm, is there any situation in which i CAN serve them with cheese or
>>> am I SOL on this one?
>>>

>> Not if you want it to be kosher. You cannot mix meat and dairy.
>>

> so...say I'm not kosher...then i could? and that would be cool?

Well, yes, you could then.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:17:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> sarah bennett wrote:
>>
>>> so...say I'm not kosher...then i could? and that would be cool?
>>>

>> you aren't kosher. even Jews who keep kosher are not kosher :)
>>

> still though...

Well, I understand Sarah's point (I think). "People" themselves are not
kosher, regardless of whether or not they are Jewish. People "keep" kosher,
meaning that they comply with kashrut, the body of Jewish law set forth in
the Torah that stipulates what foods Jews may and may not eat and how foods
must be prepared and eaten.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> you aren't kosher. even Jews who keep kosher are not kosher :)
>>>

>> still though...
>>

> Well, I understand Sarah's point (I think). "People" themselves are not
> kosher, regardless of whether or not they are Jewish. People "keep" kosher,
> meaning that they comply with kashrut, the body of Jewish law set forth in
> the Torah that stipulates what foods Jews may and may not eat and how foods
> must be prepared and eaten.

right, so how is this going to effect my dinner plans for tomorrow?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:32:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:17:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>> Bubbo?

>>> still though...
>>>

>> Well, I understand Sarah's point (I think). "People" themselves are
>> not kosher, regardless of whether or not they are Jewish. People
>> "keep" kosher, meaning that they comply with kashrut, the body of
>> Jewish law set forth in the Torah that stipulates what foods Jews may
>> and may not eat and how foods must be prepared and eaten.
>>

> right, so how is this going to effect my dinner plans for tomorrow?

I didn't see your dinner plans for tomorrow.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>you aren't kosher. even Jews who keep kosher are not kosher :)
>>>

>>still though...
>>

> Well, I understand Sarah's point (I think). "People" themselves are not
> kosher, regardless of whether or not they are Jewish. People "keep" kosher,
> meaning that they comply with kashrut, the body of Jewish law set forth in
> the Torah that stipulates what foods Jews may and may not eat and how foods
> must be prepared and eaten.

we have a winner! :)

--

saerah (who still loves semantics :>)

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:50:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:17:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
>> Bubbo?

>>>still though...
>>>

>> Well, I understand Sarah's point (I think). "People" themselves are
>> not kosher, regardless of whether or not they are Jewish. People
>> "keep" kosher, meaning that they comply with kashrut, the body of
>> Jewish law set forth in the Torah that stipulates what foods Jews may
>> and may not eat and how foods must be prepared and eaten.
>>

> we have a winner! :)

Thank you, m'am!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Curly Sue wrote:

> One thing I've learned is that if you really want to do or try
> something, do it ASAP because you can't count on it being there. I
> have a camcorder video of my niece and myself in the World Trade
> Center, with my niece balking at the (short) line to go to the
> observatory. My voiceover says "(niece) doesn't want to wait in line
> and it's been a long day so we'll give it a pass. I can always come
> back later myself."
>
> That was August 23, 2001. I can't watch it. But anytime I have the
> impulse to think "(it) will always be there," I remember that.
>
> (Fortunately, I had been to a restaurant high in the tower a few years
> before so I had at least experienced being there and seeing the view.)
>
> Hopefully the 2nd Avenue Deli will open again so you can have a
> classic New York experience. And I will also try to get there again!

Something similar has happened here in Chicago recently. The Berghoff,
a famous old - time German resto that has been in business since 1898
announced that it will be closing at the end of the month. It's a REAL
shock, the place is an institution in the Chicago Loop (they have
Chicago Liquor License #1, issued the minute Prohibition was repealed;
they have their own brand of Berghoff beer which pre - Prohibition was
brewed on the premises). It's one of the first places you'd take a
visitor to Chicago, it was a real time capsule of a place. We thought
"It will ALWAYS be there, it's part of the landscape like Lake Michigan
or the Art Institute...". The elder Berghoffs want to retire and one
of their daughters will take over the restaurant space for catering
functions. The stand - up bar (where women were banned until 1969)
will apparently remain for quick lunches...but no more platters of
wienerschnitzel and bockwurst and creamed spinach in the cosy wood -
panelled dining rooms with your orders taken by ancient grizzled
waiters who are so efficient they don't have to bother to write down
your orders :-(

The other big deal in the Chicago Loop is that soon Marshall Field's
department store will become Macy's. I love Macy's but Field's is
another Chicago landmark that will become just another store I
guess...plus which for me it dilutes the allure of Macy's because
Macy's to me is Herald Square and _Miracle On 34th Street_, e.g.
quintessential New York, NOT State Street in Chicago.

I don't like this creeping homogenization of US urban life. I liked
the old Times Square, it had character. Now it's cleaner but all those
cheezy chain places are just not unique, not distinctly "New York".
Pretty soon the only way we'll be able to experience the uniqueness of
various urban settings will be via old movies :-|

[Hey, there are still a few folks who bemoan the loss of the old Radio
Row that was torn down to make way for the World Trade Center, so plus
ca change I guess...and heck I'm STILL ****** that they changed the Pan
Am building to Met Life, lol...]

--
Best
Greg

"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote

> Curly Sue wrote:

>> That was August 23, 2001. I can't watch it. But anytime I have the
>> impulse to think "(it) will always be there," I remember that.

That's some story. And you're right ... I have thought over the
years, maybe it would be fun to go to the Statue of Liberty again,
I'd been a number of times growing up, of course. Last I heard,
they don't let you climb it anymore? There's a kick in the head
for you, no pun intended.

> Something similar has happened here in Chicago recently. The Berghoff,
> a famous old - time German resto that has been in business since 1898
> announced that it will be closing at the end of the month.

Wow, that's a surprise. At least I can say I ate there once. I was
wondering if they had trouble staying in business, from my short
experience with the area, they rolled up the sidewalks at like 7:30
at night. If that late.

> The other big deal in the Chicago Loop is that soon Marshall Field's
> department store will become Macy's. I love Macy's but Field's is
> another Chicago landmark that will become just another store I
> guess...plus which for me it dilutes the allure of Macy's because
> Macy's to me is Herald Square and _Miracle On 34th Street_, e.g.
> quintessential New York, NOT State Street in Chicago.

Then my mourning came before yours ... I grew up on Macy's, I always
shopped at Macy's, it's only Macy's in name only, now. Then again, I
haven't been to Herald Square in ages, so I don't know if there is
the Macy's mystique there, still.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another Federated store.

> [Hey, there are still a few folks who bemoan the loss of the old Radio
> Row that was torn down to make way for the World Trade Center, so plus
> ca change I guess...and heck I'm STILL ****** that they changed the Pan
> Am building to Met Life, lol...]

Heh, I didn't even know that. I always just think Pan Am building
when I see it. And ... how long have they been out of business?

nancy

On Fri 06 Jan 2006 04:50:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:

>>> That was August 23, 2001. I can't watch it. But anytime I have the
>>> impulse to think "(it) will always be there," I remember that.

> That's some story. And you're right ... I have thought over the
> years, maybe it would be fun to go to the Statue of Liberty again,
> I'd been a number of times growing up, of course. Last I heard,
> they don't let you climb it anymore? There's a kick in the head
> for you, no pun intended.
>
>> Something similar has happened here in Chicago recently. The Berghoff,
>> a famous old - time German resto that has been in business since 1898
>> announced that it will be closing at the end of the month.

> Wow, that's a surprise. At least I can say I ate there once. I was
> wondering if they had trouble staying in business, from my short
> experience with the area, they rolled up the sidewalks at like 7:30
> at night. If that late.
>
>> The other big deal in the Chicago Loop is that soon Marshall Field's
>> department store will become Macy's. I love Macy's but Field's is
>> another Chicago landmark that will become just another store I
>> guess...plus which for me it dilutes the allure of Macy's because
>> Macy's to me is Herald Square and _Miracle On 34th Street_, e.g.
>> quintessential New York, NOT State Street in Chicago.

> Then my mourning came before yours ... I grew up on Macy's, I always
> shopped at Macy's, it's only Macy's in name only, now. Then again, I
> haven't been to Herald Square in ages, so I don't know if there is
> the Macy's mystique there, still.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, it's just another Federated store.

The Halle Bros. Co., a venerable and prestigious department store chain in
NE Ohio, was sold to Marshall Field some time in the 1970s. It wasn't long
before the stores became flooded with old season stock and Marshall Field
rejects. It wasn't much longer before they folded. Halle's had previously
been in business since the 1880s. NE Ohio also lost The May Company chain
a short while after. Then, Federated took over The Higbee Company, the
last remaining of the original department stores in that area. Sad
business.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Fri 06 Jan 2006 04:50:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

>> Then my mourning came before yours ... I grew up on Macy's, I always
>> shopped at Macy's, it's only Macy's in name only, now. Then again, I
>> haven't been to Herald Square in ages, so I don't know if there is
>> the Macy's mystique there, still.
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, it's just another Federated store.

> The Halle Bros. Co., a venerable and prestigious department store chain in
> NE Ohio, was sold to Marshall Field some time in the 1970s. It wasn't
> long
> before the stores became flooded with old season stock and Marshall Field
> rejects.

You know, Wayne, I couldn't have described what happened to Macy's
any better than that. Turned into some leftover junk store. Okay, I'm
exaggerating, but the stock just slipped, seemingly days after Federated
took over. I always paid more for clothing/whatever, at Macy's because
they had the good stuff.

Last time I was in there, over the holidays, I think maybe it was a little
better, still not the old Macy's. I bet feelings were the same when
Federated bought out Bloomingdales, who knows how many years
ago. 70s maybe?

I consider Federated stores to be Canada's revenge. For what,
who knows. (cue Michel)

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I always paid more for clothing/whatever, at Macy's because
> they had the good stuff.

I don't think there's any such thing as "good stuff" any more in stores.
It's reached the point where I can't find a simple men's dress shirt that's
not designed like a bowling shirt - totally shapeless. Lands' End gets all
my money for those. Flannel outdoor shirts, turtlenecks or sweaters, with
sleeves long enough for a 6'2" guy - LL Bean. They're unavailable in
department stores.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>> I always paid more for clothing/whatever, at Macy's because
>> they had the good stuff.

> I don't think there's any such thing as "good stuff" any more in stores.
> It's reached the point where I can't find a simple men's dress shirt
> that's not designed like a bowling shirt - totally shapeless. Lands' End
> gets all my money for those.

Since I no longer dress for work, and didn't even towards the end
when I did work, a lot of my clothing comes from Land's End and
Eddie Bauer.

Unfortunately, Land's End has succombed to Sears, and some of
my favorites are no longer to be seen. Even the catalog isn't as
fun.

> Flannel outdoor shirts, turtlenecks or sweaters, with sleeves long enough
> for a 6'2" guy - LL Bean. They're unavailable in department stores.

That's a big problem around here. Work shirts in tall.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> I always paid more for clothing/whatever, at Macy's because
>>> they had the good stuff.

>> I don't think there's any such thing as "good stuff" any more in stores.
>> It's reached the point where I can't find a simple men's dress shirt
>> that's not designed like a bowling shirt - totally shapeless. Lands' End
>> gets all my money for those.

> Since I no longer dress for work, and didn't even towards the end
> when I did work, a lot of my clothing comes from Land's End and
> Eddie Bauer.
>
> Unfortunately, Land's End has succombed to Sears, and some of
> my favorites are no longer to be seen. Even the catalog isn't as
> fun.
>
>> Flannel outdoor shirts, turtlenecks or sweaters, with sleeves long enough
>> for a 6'2" guy - LL Bean. They're unavailable in department stores.

> That's a big problem around here. Work shirts in tall.
>
> nancy

....and men's jeans in odd numbered waist sizes, which LLB & LE seem to have
no problem providing.

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> The other big deal in the Chicago Loop is that soon Marshall Field's
> department store will become Macy's. I love Macy's but Field's is
> another Chicago landmark that will become just another store I
> guess...plus which for me it dilutes the allure of Macy's because
> Macy's to me is Herald Square and _Miracle On 34th Street_, e.g.
> quintessential New York, NOT State Street in Chicago.

Interestingly, when Daytons (a minneapolis based company) bought Marshall
Fields a while back they went on to change the all the Daytons store names to
Marshall Fields (I think they also changed Hudsons in Detroit to Marshall
Fields as well). It was quite a shock here in Minneapolis, Daytons was an
institution.

There are still many of us who forget to call them Marshall Fields.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

In article <[email protected]>,
Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 07:44:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons
> and opined:
>
> >How dare they!! NOW where will I fight with you over a check? Can you
> >find out where Lisa and Mary are or will go? This is terrible news,
> >Margaret.

> You ever win a check with Margaret?

More than once. :)

> I swear, the woman got up at oh
> dawn thirty to hoof it to the 2nd Ave. Deli to make sure Lisa and
> Mary gave her the check.

That's because of the time I did that to her. Oh my Alex!! I was
absolutely mortified at my behavior!! I liketa died -- I got into an
almost-screaming match in the deli. I shudder and shake every time I
think about it. I got lost in the emotion, passionate person that I
am. But the check was mine. And Lisa, Alex bless her, was calm as
anything while we "talked." Alex forgive me! (I've made it up to
Lisa.) <shudders in horror at my public behavior -- people were LOOKING>

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

In article <[email protected]>,
sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:

> > they do not serve bacon or ham, nor would they serve a cheeseburger.
> > However, the really kosher Jews do not consider them to be kosher
> > enough, as they are not closed for the Sabbath.

> Jews are not kosher.

I kinda think she meant that the Jews who observe kosher (kashruth?)
food practices don't consider them to be observing the rules closely
enough because they are open for commerce on Saturdays, Or were. :-(
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

[email protected] (Curly Sue) looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:16:23 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Margaret Suran <[email protected]> looking for trouble
>>wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>

>>> I just heard on the 5 o'clock morning news, that the Second Avenue
>>> Deli in New York City is closed since Sunday, in a dispute with the
>>> landlord. There is a good chance, according to the owners of the
>>> deli, that the restaurant will not reopen.
>>>
>>> I hope that it is not going to happen.
>>>

>>Oh no! I hope not either. We have yet to have lunch together at the
>>Second Avenue Deli. Please keep me posted either here or via email.
>>Thanks for the heads up Margaret.

> One thing I've learned is that if you really want to do or try
> something, do it ASAP because you can't count on it being there. I
> have a camcorder video of my niece and myself in the World Trade
> Center, with my niece balking at the (short) line to go to the
> observatory. My voiceover says "(niece) doesn't want to wait in line
> and it's been a long day so we'll give it a pass. I can always come
> back later myself."
>
> That was August 23, 2001. I can't watch it. But anytime I have the
> impulse to think "(it) will always be there," I remember that.
>
> (Fortunately, I had been to a restaurant high in the tower a few years
> before so I had at least experienced being there and seeing the view.)
>
> Hopefully the 2nd Avenue Deli will open again so you can have a
> classic New York experience. And I will also try to get there again!
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Perhaps we can pick up Margaret and Marcel and make it a 4some for lunch?

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net