SECOND HAND SMOKE STORY

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by No Way, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. No Way

    No Way Guest

    Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons health.
    They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this insane
    letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. "No Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
    > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
    > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

    Visit Medline or PublicMed for lots of good stuff.

  3. James

    James Guest

    No Way wrote:

    > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
    > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
    > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

    How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
    WHOLE LIFE???

  4. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    James <[email protected]> wrote in news:40266362.7312
    @directmail.net:

    > No Way wrote:
    >>
    >> Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does
    not
    >> effect any persons health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for
    >> me to refute this insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please
    >> reply here. Thanks.
    >
    > How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
    > WHOLE LIFE???

    http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-17579/

    "5. Second Hand Smoke / Baby Bullshit

    Second hand smoke has been a major problem debated by many people. Joe Cherner, the presedent of
    smoke free educational services, will have his chance to explain his side of the fence. But Penn and
    Teller will soon be taking over his side as they explain the true reason of how only one report
    published years ago has caused this "second hand smoke health problem" See why it's all just a bunch
    of Bullshit!

    In the second half of this episode, the baby products industry is looked at. Everyday, new parents
    attend classes that are sometimes full of useless lessons. There are also many products such as the
    Mozart music program and a "talking baby video" that will "increase" a baby's intelligence and make
    them smarter in life. Once again, Penn and Teller and professionals will show you it's all a bunch
    of Bullshit!"

  5. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] (BL 1204) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > type in "second hand smoke" at
    >
    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
    >
    > There are more like these"
    >
    > Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Dec;5(6):943-6.
    >
    > Secondhand smoke and earaches in adolescents: the Florida Youth Cohort
    Study.

    > Lee DJ, Gaynor JJ, Trapido E.
    >
    > University of Miami, Tobacco Research and Evaluation Coordinating
    Center,
    > Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, FL 33101, USA.
    [email protected]

    > The association between second-hand smoke exposure and adolescent middle
    ear
    > problems has not been examined. A random sample stratified by region was
    drawn
    > from a list that included approximately 40% of all Florida households
    with
    > children in grades 4-7. A total of 785 Florida adolescents initially
    enrolled
    > in the 4th-7th grade participated in three telephone interviews
    conducted over
    > a 24-month period. At the round 3 interview, 10.3% of participants
    reported one
    > or more earaches within the previous 30 days. Several second-hand smoke exposure questions asked
    > at each of the three interviews were associated
    with
    > the number of reported earaches. Stepwise polytomous logistic regression indicated that parental
    > smoking inside the home reported at the round 3 interview was associated with the number of
    > reported earaches (OR=3.11,
    95%
    > CI=1.70-5.66). Once this variable was selected, none of the other
    second-hand
    > smoke exposure variables offered additional predictive value (p>.1).
    None of
    > the non-second-hand smoke exposure variables, including the
    participant's own
    > history of tobacco use, had any association with the reporting of
    earaches
    > (p>.05). Second-hand smoke exposure is associated with self-reported
    earaches
    > in adolescents. These findings should be replicated in a study in which clinical measures of
    > middle ear function are performed.
    >
    > PMID: 14668078

    There was another report that said that children that sucked their thumbs had up to 88% few ear
    infections than those that used a pacifier. I saw the study once several years ago and don't know if
    it is nonsense or not.

    > Clin Dev Immunol. 2003 Mar;10(1):35-42.
    >
    > Second-hand smoke increases bronchial hyperreactivity and eosinophilia
    in a
    > murine model of allergic aspergillosis.
    >
    > Seymour BW, Schelegle ES, Pinkerton KE, Friebertshauser KE, Peake JL,
    Kurupd
    > VP, Coffman RL, Gershwin LJ.
    >
    > Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, 1126 Haring Hall,
    School
    > of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue,
    Davis, CA
    > 95616, USA.
    >
    > Involuntary inhalation of tobacco smoke has been shown to aggravate the allergic response.
    > Antibodies to fungal antigens such as Aspergillus
    fumigatus
    > (Af) cause an allergic lung disease in humans. This study was carried
    out to
    > determine the effect of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) on a murine
    model of
    > allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA). BALB/c mice were exposed
    > aged and diluted sidestream cigarette smoke to simulate 'second-hand
    smoke'.
    > The concentration was consistent with that achieved in enclosed public
    areas or
    > households where multiple people smoke. During exposure, mice were
    sensitized
    > to Af antigen intranasally. Mice that were sensitized to Af antigen and
    exposed
    > to ETS developed significantly greater airway hyperreactivity than did
    mice
    > similarly sensitized to Af but housed in ambient air. The effective concentration of aerosolized
    > acetylcholine needed to double pulmonary
    flow
    > resistance was significantly lower in Af + ETS mice compared to the Af +
    AIR
    > mice. Immunological data that supports this exacerbation of airway hyperresponsiveness being
    > mediated by an enhanced type 1
    hypersensitivity
    > response include: eosinophilia in peripheral blood and lung sections.
    All Af
    > sensitized mice produced elevated levels of IL4, IL5 and IL10 but no
    IFN-gamma
    > indicating a polarized Th2 response. Thus, ETS can cause exacerbation of
    asthma
    > in ABPA as demonstrated by functional airway hyperresponsiveness and
    elevated
    > levels of blood eosinophilia.
    >
    > PMID: 14575156 BL

    Conculsion: Don't smoke around mice.

  6. No Way

    No Way Guest

    James <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No Way wrote:
    > >
    > > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
    > > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
    > > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.
    >
    > How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
    > WHOLE LIFE???

    Obviously he had good a good immune system If he had not smoked he might have lived to be 125yrs
    therefore smoking robbed him of 25% of his life span.

  7. No Way

    No Way Guest

    Thanks This is what I was looking for
    :)))

    BL 1204 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m17.aol.com...
> [...]
    > mice. Immunological data that supports this exacerbation of airway hyperresponsiveness being
    > mediated by an enhanced type 1 hypersensitivity response include: eosinophilia in peripheral blood
    > and lung sections. All
    Af
    > sensitized mice produced elevated levels of IL4, IL5 and IL10 but no
    IFN-gamma
    > indicating a polarized Th2 response. Thus, ETS can cause exacerbation of
    asthma
    > in ABPA as demonstrated by functional airway hyperresponsiveness and
    elevated
    > levels of blood eosinophilia.
    >
    > PMID: 14575156 BL
    >
    > "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram
    of
    > the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected

  8. "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No Way wrote:
    > >
    > > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
    > > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
    > > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.
    >
    > How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
    > WHOLE LIFE???

    Gracie Allen died way before him She wa sonly in her 60's.

    Thus, according to your form of logic,. proof.

  9. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    "Mark ProbertFebruary 8, 2004" <[email protected]> wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    > "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> No Way wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does
    not
    >> > effect any persons health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for
    >> > me to refute this insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please
    >> > reply here. Thanks.
    >>
    >> How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS WHOLE
    >> LIFE???
    >
    > Gracie Allen died way before him She wa sonly in her 60's.
    >
    > Thus, according to your form of logic,. proof.

    When someone asked George what his doctor thought of Georges smoking and drinking he said, He
    doesn't say anything. He's dead.