SECOND HAND SMOKE STORY

No Way

Guest
Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons health.
They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this insane
letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

"No Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
> health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
> insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

Visit Medline or PublicMed for lots of good stuff.

No Way wrote:

> Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
> health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
> insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.

How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
WHOLE LIFE???

James <[email protected]> wrote in news:40266362.7312
@directmail.net:

> No Way wrote:
>>
>> Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does
not
>> effect any persons health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for
>> me to refute this insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please
>> reply here. Thanks.
>
> How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
> WHOLE LIFE???

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-17579/

"5. Second Hand Smoke / Baby ********

Second hand smoke has been a major problem debated by many people. Joe Cherner, the presedent of
smoke free educational services, will have his chance to explain his side of the fence. But Penn and
Teller will soon be taking over his side as they explain the true reason of how only one report
published years ago has caused this "second hand smoke health problem" See why it's all just a bunch
of ********!

In the second half of this episode, the baby products industry is looked at. Everyday, new parents
attend classes that are sometimes full of useless lessons. There are also many products such as the
Mozart music program and a "talking baby video" that will "increase" a baby's intelligence and make
them smarter in life. Once again, Penn and Teller and professionals will show you it's all a bunch
of ********!"

[email protected] (BL 1204) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> type in "second hand smoke" at
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
>
> There are more like these"
>
> Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Dec;5(6):943-6.
>
> Secondhand smoke and earaches in adolescents: the Florida Youth Cohort
Study.

> Lee DJ, Gaynor JJ, Trapido E.
>
> University of Miami, Tobacco Research and Evaluation Coordinating
Center,
> Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, FL 33101, USA.
[email protected]

> The association between second-hand smoke exposure and adolescent middle
ear
> problems has not been examined. A random sample stratified by region was
drawn
> from a list that included approximately 40% of all Florida households
with
> children in grades 4-7. A total of 785 Florida adolescents initially
enrolled
> in the 4th-7th grade participated in three telephone interviews
conducted over
> a 24-month period. At the round 3 interview, 10.3% of participants
reported one
> or more earaches within the previous 30 days. Several second-hand smoke exposure questions asked
> at each of the three interviews were associated
with
> the number of reported earaches. Stepwise polytomous logistic regression indicated that parental
> smoking inside the home reported at the round 3 interview was associated with the number of
> reported earaches (OR=3.11,
95%
> CI=1.70-5.66). Once this variable was selected, none of the other
second-hand
> smoke exposure variables offered additional predictive value (p>.1).
None of
> the non-second-hand smoke exposure variables, including the
participant's own
> history of tobacco use, had any association with the reporting of
earaches
> (p>.05). Second-hand smoke exposure is associated with self-reported
earaches
> in adolescents. These findings should be replicated in a study in which clinical measures of
> middle ear function are performed.
>
> PMID: 14668078

There was another report that said that children that sucked their thumbs had up to 88% few ear
infections than those that used a pacifier. I saw the study once several years ago and don't know if
it is nonsense or not.

> Clin Dev Immunol. 2003 Mar;10(1):35-42.
>
> Second-hand smoke increases bronchial hyperreactivity and eosinophilia
in a
> murine model of allergic aspergillosis.
>
> Seymour BW, Schelegle ES, Pinkerton KE, Friebertshauser KE, Peake JL,
Kurupd
> VP, Coffman RL, Gershwin LJ.
>
> Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, 1126 Haring Hall,
School
> of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue,
Davis, CA
> 95616, USA.
>
> Involuntary inhalation of tobacco smoke has been shown to aggravate the allergic response.
> Antibodies to fungal antigens such as Aspergillus
fumigatus
> (Af) cause an allergic lung disease in humans. This study was carried
out to
> determine the effect of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) on a murine
model of
> allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA). BALB/c mice were exposed
> aged and diluted sidestream cigarette smoke to simulate 'second-hand
smoke'.
> The concentration was consistent with that achieved in enclosed public
areas or
> households where multiple people smoke. During exposure, mice were
sensitized
> to Af antigen intranasally. Mice that were sensitized to Af antigen and
exposed
> to ETS developed significantly greater airway hyperreactivity than did
mice
> similarly sensitized to Af but housed in ambient air. The effective concentration of aerosolized
> acetylcholine needed to double pulmonary
flow
> resistance was significantly lower in Af + ETS mice compared to the Af +
AIR
> mice. Immunological data that supports this exacerbation of airway hyperresponsiveness being
> mediated by an enhanced type 1
hypersensitivity
> response include: eosinophilia in peripheral blood and lung sections.
All Af
> sensitized mice produced elevated levels of IL4, IL5 and IL10 but no
IFN-gamma
> indicating a polarized Th2 response. Thus, ETS can cause exacerbation of
asthma
> in ABPA as demonstrated by functional airway hyperresponsiveness and
elevated
> levels of blood eosinophilia.
>
> PMID: 14575156 BL

Conculsion: Don't smoke around mice.

James <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No Way wrote:
> >
> > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
> > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
> > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.
>
> How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS
> WHOLE LIFE???

Obviously he had good a good immune system If he had not smoked he might have lived to be 125yrs
therefore smoking robbed him of 25% of his life span.

Thanks This is what I was looking for
:)))

BL 1204 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040208135243.19973.00001432@mb-
m17.aol.com...
> [...]
> levels of blood eosinophilia.
>
> PMID: 14575156 BL
>
> "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram
of
> the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected
> wave back." Ralph Abraham
>
> "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

"James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No Way wrote:
> >
> > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does not effect any persons
> > health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for me to refute this
> > insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please reply here. Thanks.
>
> How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS

Gracie Allen died way before him She wa sonly in her 60's.

Thus, according to your form of logic,. proof.

"Mark ProbertFebruary 8, 2004" <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> No Way wrote:
>> >
>> > Some fool wrote to our local newspaper to say second hand smoke does
not
>> > effect any persons health. They cited 2 long term studies. Please list some good links here for
>> > me to refute this insane letter. I want to send a reply to the editor of the newspaper. Please
>> > reply here. Thanks.
>>
>> How do you explain that GEORGE BURNS lived to be over 100 while smoking cigars ALL DAY HIS WHOLE
>> LIFE???
>
> Gracie Allen died way before him She wa sonly in her 60's.
>
> Thus, according to your form of logic,. proof.

When someone asked George what his doctor thought of Georges smoking and drinking he said, He
doesn't say anything. He's dead.