Secret food shame

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Yeff, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:37:44 +0100, "jacqui{JB}"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Nathalie Chiva" <Nathalie.Chi[email protected]>
    >wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    >> My Beef Wellington recipe. The results are
    >> delicious, but I cringe whan I get asked for
    >> the recipe, it's so trashy...

    >So ... do tell. :)
    >-j

    Well, it involves beef filet (that's the non-trashy part), canned
    mushrooms (it really isn't any better with fresh stewed ones, I
    tried), storebought puff pastry dough (that's the one dough I can't
    make), and a tube of liver paste. You brown the filet in a bit of oil
    in a frying pan, let it cool, warm the oven (240°C, 480°F). You put
    the contents of the liver paste tube evenly on the dough, leaving a 1
    inch border all around. Then you distribute the mushrooms evenly on
    the liver paste, season the beef with salt and pepper, lay it down on
    the prepared dough, roll it in the dough, close the dough around it,
    brush with egg yolk if you wish, and put in the oven. When the pastry
    is done, the filet is also.
    But it's great, and people keep asking for the recipe, oh the shame of
    me!

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Richard Green" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > crumbed deep-fried duck, smothered in plum sauce.

    That is entirely too classy to count as a "shame." ;-)

    Priscilla, who's been known to bring home half a roasted duck from the
    Chinese grocery and eat it with her fingers while sitting in front of
    the TV
    --
    "And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
    Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we

  3. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    >ravinwulf <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    >>Errrm, I really don't know that I should admit this....
    >>
    >>Eagle sweetened condensed milk. Straight out of the can, eaten with a
    >>spoon.

    >I've got an equally (maybe more) hideous one. Brown sugar and butter,
    >microwaved, with a touch of vanilla at the end. It's gritty as hell, but
    >tastes a little caramelly (new word).
    >
    >Carol

    Never thought about nuking it. I just softened the butter and mashed
    it up. Eat it on bread. My other favorite is peanut butter and Karo
    Syrup. Plenty of fat and sugar.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

  4. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-02-13, Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    Nope! Can't think of a single food I'm ashamed of eating. Sorry.

    nb

  5. Peanut butter (creamy) and bacon sammiches

    Pops

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >ravinwulf <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    > >
    > >>Errrm, I really don't know that I should admit this....
    > >>
    > >>Eagle sweetened condensed milk. Straight out of the can, eaten with a
    > >>spoon.

    > >I've got an equally (maybe more) hideous one. Brown sugar and butter,
    > >microwaved, with a touch of vanilla at the end. It's gritty as hell, but
    > >tastes a little caramelly (new word).
    > >
    > >Carol

    > Never thought about nuking it. I just softened the butter and mashed
    > it up. Eat it on bread. My other favorite is peanut butter and Karo
    > Syrup. Plenty of fat and sugar.

    When I was a kid I sometimes ate white bread with butter and a thick
    layer of brown sugar. I'm not quite sure why my somewhat puritanical
    mother permitted it, but she did!

    Priscilla
    --
    "And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
    Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
    deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
    does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  7. BookWight

    BookWight Guest

    Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
    of electronic flotsam written by "Bob" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Oh. Oh. Yes, I *can* hang my head, because I just remembered this,
    > even though I haven't done it for several years: I heat up a canned
    > ham patty in a frying pan with butter. When it starts to get crispy
    > around the edges, I put it on a toasted and buttered English muffin
    > with bread & butter pickle slices. My cardiologist would have a
    > coronary.

    Girl Scout Mint Cookies. Polished off an entire box at one sitting more
    than once.

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    >> I'm still getting over the shock. oh, jill ...
    >>
    >> nancy

    > Hey, I can't eat fish and broccoli *all* the time! ;)

    Well, you can find me in chat.

    nancy

  9. "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:37:44 +0100, "jacqui{JB}"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]>
    > >wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >> My Beef Wellington recipe. The results are
    > >> delicious, but I cringe whan I get asked for
    > >> the recipe, it's so trashy...

    > >So ... do tell. :)
    > >-j

    > Well, it involves beef filet (that's the non-trashy part), canned
    > mushrooms (it really isn't any better with fresh stewed ones, I
    > tried), storebought puff pastry dough (that's the one dough I can't
    > make), and a tube of liver paste. You brown the filet in a bit of oil
    > in a frying pan, let it cool, warm the oven (240°C, 480°F). You put
    > the contents of the liver paste tube evenly on the dough, leaving a 1
    > inch border all around. Then you distribute the mushrooms evenly on
    > the liver paste, season the beef with salt and pepper, lay it down on
    > the prepared dough, roll it in the dough, close the dough around it,
    > brush with egg yolk if you wish, and put in the oven. When the pastry
    > is done, the filet is also.
    > But it's great, and people keep asking for the recipe, oh the shame of
    > me!
    >
    > Nathalie in Switzerland

    I have no shame at all left as a result of this thread. Sinner that I am, I
    agree with all of your recipies. I just saved this one.It stirs my soul.
    Evil incarnate,and tempting! Who could ask for more?

    Hubert (way down on the food chain) Liverman

  10. skoonj

    skoonj Guest

  11. Tara

    Tara Guest

    Kraft mac and cheese with chopped up hot dogs
    Ro-Tel dip
    Chili cheese dip (chili and Velveeta -- good on hot dogs, tortilla
    chips, baked potatoes, omelets)

    Tara

  12. Guest

    PRINGLES potato chips.

    Every few months,
    I buy a can while grocery shopping.
    They never make it home.......

    <rj>

  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    skoonj wrote:

    > Peanut butter and cotto salami sandwiches.

    Cotto salami is grossly disgusting all on it's own... with peanut
    butter it's, um, well now I know what Skoonj is... peanut butter and
    shit = Skoonj.

  14. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:49:51 GMT, Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    Velveeta cheese on Nabisco Premium Unsalted Tops Saltine Crackers.

    Oh the shame!

    ;-)

    Rusty
    Sacramento, CA

  15. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Kilikini wrote:

    > skoonj wrote:
    >
    >><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Peanut butter (creamy) and bacon sammiches
    >>>
    >>>Pops
    >>>

    >>Peanut butter and cotto salami sandwiches.
    >>
    >>-

    > I've done peanut butter and salami, but I was also very young and very high
    > at the time. LOL
    >
    > kili

    Ohhh lordy... I don't even wanna try and remember what I ate in those
    days!

    --
    Steve

    Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
    bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

  16. Ang and Bruce wrote:
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Starburst candies with Leave It To Beaver reruns, generally my
    >>combination of choice when suffering hayfever attacks.

    > Doesn't the videotape get stuck in your teeth? ;)

    (The true secret shame is where the Starburst candies get stuck.)

    --Lia

  17. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:18:15 GMT, chillled
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeff wrote:
    >
    >> Cornflakes? The soggier the better.
    >>

    >I prefer canned mushrooms to fresh ones.

    Sorry to interject like this. I read something about mushrooms the
    paper today that slightly unnerved me. Something about eating insects
    and how 80% of the world is Cool With That.

    Here's a quote from a website purporting to reveal the U.S. Food and
    Drug Administration's allowances for, shall we say "extras"?, in food
    (http://www.geocities.com/KindlyRat/FilthyFood.html):

    "Mushrooms (Canned)
    Up to 20 maggots per 100 grams of drained mushrooms; up to 5 maggots 2
    millimeters or longer or 75 mites."

    Didn't mean to put you off your canned mushrooms either. It was just
    a co-incidence I read this the same day I read that.

    My secret food shame is that I really like SPAM.
    --
    posterMPD05

  18. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "Ginny Sher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:31:07 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The Cook <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>Never thought about nuking it. I just softened the butter and mashed
    >>>it up. Eat it on bread. My other favorite is peanut butter and Karo
    >>>Syrup. Plenty of fat and sugar.

    >>It's good to know I'm not the only hard-core sugar addict. I like peanut
    >>butter with honey. :)
    >>
    >>Carol

    > Peanut butter 'n honey is fantastic. I had many a sandwich made with
    > that... and sometimes a sliced banana on top.

    I love peanut butter and honey -- and also peanut butter and molasses on
    fresh white homemade bread.

    Gabby

  19. On Sat 12 Feb 2005 09:49:51p, Yeff wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    Fried egg and onion sandwiches on white bread with mayo and dill pickle
    spears on the side. Oh, and chips, too.

    White bread spread with mayo and well-drained pineapple slices.

    Wayne

  20. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Mike Dickinson wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dickinson
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>My secret food shame is that I really like SPAM.

    > Now I read this again, it's obvious I didn't make this nearly clear
    > enough.
    >
    > I REALLY like SPAM. I can easily eat a 200g can in a very short
    > sitting. I cut up the SPAM into strips and slices, spread or dip each
    > with mustard, creamy horseradish sauce, sandwich pickle, sour
    > cream-based dips... anything I can get my hands on, really! Once
    > dipped or spread, I will scoff them with immense delight.
    >
    > For those of you who don't know what SPAM is, aside from being the
    > Scourge Of The Internet it is in fact 'spiced pork and ham', or
    > 'luncheon meat'. It looks like something else.

    Anything with that much fat and salt has to be delicious. ask any hawaiian.

    Regards

    Louis Cohen

    "Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

    Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877