Secret food shame

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Yeff, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. carbuff

    carbuff Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Connie <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    >>Potted meat product on white bread.

    > Just curious ... have you read the ingredient list on the label?

    Rule-of-thumb: if there is a manufactured product that you regard as
    'comfort food' or you just plain like for whatever reason, don't EVER read
    the list of ingredients. If you do, likely you'll never eat/drink it
    again, and there goes yet another of life's little pleasures.
    A case in point: I used to drink Sunny D, both because it went down so
    smoothly & I thought I was doing myself a favor by getting fruit juices
    yadda yadda. Then one day a co-worker asked me if I wanted an oil change,
    after watching me chug on a jug. As usual, my intelligent response was
    "Huh??" But sure enough, right there on the label, one of the ingredients
    in Sunny D is OIL!!!
    I've never had it since. :eek:(

  2. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > I tried it late last night,

    Glad you enjoyed it. Now you will be an addict, ya know...;)

    -L.

  3. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Yeff wrote:
    > Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    Underwood Deviled Ham (in the little can with the red devil)

  4. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Yeff wrote:
    >> Cornflakes? The soggier the better.
    >>

    > Underwood Deviled Ham (in the little can with the red devil)

    For me it's always been Cordon Bleu Devilled Ham with plain mustard. Just
    can't find it in any of the stores around here any more.

    Gabby

  5. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    Mike Dickinson wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:00:54 GMT, "kilikini"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> I REALLY like SPAM.

    > <SNIPped my SPAM fetish details>
    >>
    >> Mike, ever try sauteeing cubed SPAM and green beans? That's a
    >> Hawaiian staple. You can add slivered almonds too, but don't forget
    >> the sesame oil.

    > Sounds awesome, Kili!
    >
    > Here in the UK SPAM is regarded as, well, nearly a joke by most
    > people... I still love it though, and will be trying the recipe as
    > soon as I can. My experience of Hawaiian cuisine (being mainly ham
    > and pineapple pizzas) is that the unlikeliest of ingredients are
    > combined to genius effect, so I'm looking forward to this one!
    > Thanks.

    Absolutely! :~) You can add garlic too.

    kili

  6. One time on Usenet, Denise~* <[email protected]> said:
    > Yeff wrote:

    > > Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    > Underwood Deviled Ham (in the little can with the red devil)

    You are not alone, Denise -- I love that stuff, but my family calls it
    "cat food". Oh well, more for me...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  7. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    > Okay, now that we're going there, how about toasted peanut butter and honey
    > sandwiches? I loved to add butter to the bread too. God, now that's a
    > little taste of heaven.
    >
    > kili

    OK, what's wrong with that?

    I like PB & honey on a toasted & buttered english muffin, and Im not
    ashamed of it. It's Yum!

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Yeff
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cornflakes? The soggier the better.

    Twinkies. I once ate 3 of them while walking down one block. I
    haven't eaten them in quite a while, though...

    Frozen Tater Tots, cooked, though.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Louis Cohen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Colonel's cole slaw. And his chicken, for that matter.

    Oh, me too! Not all the time, but every now and then. Usually when
    I'm pregnant, actually.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Connie
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mayonnaise sandwiches: bread and mayo only.
    > Potted meat product on white bread.
    > Fried salami with a slice of American cheese.
    > Baked Beenie Weenies.

    Wow.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  11. In article <[email protected]>, "Bob"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    > > Fried egg and onion sandwiches on white bread with mayo and dill
    > > pickle spears on the side. Oh, and chips, too.

    > What's so shameful about that? Sounds like a good midafternoon snack
    > to me!

    I've been thinking that about several of these entries. What is so
    shameful? I will admit to eating tomato sandwiches, but I don't know if
    it is shameful or not. Bread, good or not, mayo on both slices, sliced
    tomatoes and some salt sprinkled on the tomato. When I was pregnant
    with Alexander I developed a taste for toasted bagels spread with cream
    cheese and topped with either sliced spanish olives or capers.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm not really too ashamed of anything I eat. Probably the closest
    > would Pringle's. Every now and then I get a can and eat a few. Ok, I
    > eat the whole can.

    LOL! I am physically incapable of eating part of a sleeve of
    crackers, so pretty much I just don't buy them.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Michael Odom
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When I was a kid, I made it. Or pretended to. How I imagined that
    > pushing strips of paper into the flywheel of my grandmother's
    > foot-treadle sewing machine made condensed milk is a complete mystery,
    > but it made sense to my at the time.

    When I was a little girl, I would collect the peelings from eggplant,
    because I was sure you could use them as shoe leather. ;)

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  14. In article <[email protected]>, "jacqui{JB}"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jack-in-the-Box Original Tacos (not the big ones -- they're weird).
    > Mmmm. With fries and onion rings. Very comforting after a crappy day
    > at work.

    Oh! Burger King Onion Rings.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ang and Bruce wrote:
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >>Starburst candies with Leave It To Beaver reruns, generally my
    > >>combination of choice when suffering hayfever attacks.

    > > Doesn't the videotape get stuck in your teeth? ;)

    > (The true secret shame is where the Starburst candies get stuck.)

    Okay, you can't leave us hanging with a line like that...

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > I've been thinking that about several of these entries. What is so
    > shameful? I will admit to eating tomato sandwiches, but I don't know if
    > it is shameful or not. Bread, good or not, mayo on both slices, sliced
    > tomatoes and some salt sprinkled on the tomato.

    There's nothing shameful about a tomato sandwich. I love them, especially if
    the tomato is fresh out of the garden. You can have them on bread with mayo
    and lettuce or toasted, in which case the lettuce is optional. They are
    even better with bacon and tomato.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Nathalie Chiva
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:49:51 GMT, Yeff <[email protected]tmail.fm> wrote:
    >
    > My Beef Wellington recipe. The results are delicious, but I cringe
    > whan I get asked for the recipe, it's so trashy...

    Alright, then, give it up...

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  18. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:48:27 -0800, Ranee Mueller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Nathalie Chiva
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:49:51 GMT, Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> My Beef Wellington recipe. The results are delicious, but I cringe
    >> whan I get asked for the recipe, it's so trashy...

    > Alright, then, give it up...

    Nah... Too good

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  19. Mike Dickinson wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Mike Dickinson
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My secret food shame is that I really like SPAM.

    > Now I read this again, it's obvious I didn't make this nearly clear
    > enough.
    >
    > I REALLY like SPAM. I can easily eat a 200g can in a very short
    > sitting. I cut up the SPAM into strips and slices, spread or dip

    each
    > with mustard, creamy horseradish sauce, sandwich pickle, sour
    > cream-based dips... anything I can get my hands on, really! Once
    > dipped or spread, I will scoff them with immense delight.
    >
    > For those of you who don't know what SPAM is, aside from being the
    > Scourge Of The Internet it is in fact 'spiced pork and ham', or
    > 'luncheon meat'. It looks like something else.
    > --
    > posterMPD05

    When I was newly married and budget-conscious, we would have it about
    once a month - our favorite method was to slice and fry it on one side,
    turn it over, sprinkle with brown sugar and drained crushed pineapple,
    and let the second side brown. It's really quite tasty, if you don't
    think about what it actually IS.

    N.