Secret food shame

On Wed 16 Feb 2005 04:27:26p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>I sometimes like the little glass jars of Kraft cheese; Roka Blue, Old
>>English, Pimiento, and Pineapple, and I don't care who knows!

> You forgot the green olive one. Fantastic on Ritz crackers.
>
> Carol

Yep, that one too!!! I luv 'em all!

Wayne

"TheAlligator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Hmmm, sounds very interesting. I'd try it,

> given the choice.

> Will you marry me? :>)

Not sure what my husband would say about that, although I've always
liked the idea of having two men. >:)
-j

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote ...
> >English, Pimiento, and Pineapple, and I don't care who knows!

> You forgot the green olive one. Fantastic on Ritz crackers.

Ahhh, good times, good times. When I was a lad the food budget was
miniscule. The Kraft glasses of sludge were a special treat but
always pimiento or olive. And Red Devil potted meat. These are not
my comfort foods.
But did we have juice glasses....

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 07:50:22a, CaptCook wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote ...
>> >English, Pimiento, and Pineapple, and I don't care who knows!

>> You forgot the green olive one. Fantastic on Ritz crackers.

> Ahhh, good times, good times. When I was a lad the food budget was
> miniscule. The Kraft glasses of sludge were a special treat but
> always pimiento or olive. And Red Devil potted meat. These are not
> my comfort foods.
> But did we have juice glasses....

And Underwood Devilled Ham...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Feb 2005 07:50:22a, CaptCook wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote ...
> >> You forgot the green olive one. Fantastic on Ritz crackers.

> > Ahhh, good times, good times. When I was a lad the food budget was
> > miniscule. The Kraft glasses of sludge were a special treat but
> > always pimiento or olive. And Red Devil potted meat. These are

not
> > my comfort foods.
> > But did we have juice glasses....

> And Underwood Devilled Ham...

LOL. I have two containers of each -- Kraft cheese(I like the olive
best) and Underwood deviled ham - in my cupboard right now. And
they've only been there a week.

N.

In article <[email protected]>, "CaptCook" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote ...
> > >English, Pimiento, and Pineapple, and I don't care who knows!

> > You forgot the green olive one. Fantastic on Ritz crackers.

> Ahhh, good times, good times. When I was a lad the food budget was
> miniscule. The Kraft glasses of sludge were a special treat but
> always pimiento or olive. And Red Devil potted meat. These are not
> my comfort foods.
> But did we have juice glasses....

When we cleaned out the family home and Mother moved into a retirement
community, I put a dibs on most of those juice glasses. It's funny the
things one becomes attached to. ;-)

Priscilla
--
"And what's this **** about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we

Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>When we cleaned out the family home and Mother moved into a retirement
>community, I put a dibs on most of those juice glasses. It's funny the
>things one becomes attached to. ;-)

For Crash, it's the huge, yellow Pyrex bowl that his mother used when
making potato salad.

For me, it's cooking stuff, but my erstwhile sister commandeered most of
Mom's stuff to give to my niece. Thank goodness for thrift shops. I have
a set of aluminum measuring cups and a million pie pans. I very rarely
make pies, but every time we see a pan like one of Mom's we buy it, because
neither of us can remember if we've already got one like that.

Carol

In article <[email protected]>, Pixmaker
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The world war II "D-Ration" was an olive-drab can of cheese! Very dry
> cheese as I recall. . . about the size of a large tuna-fish can. It
> was not a beloved favorite and there were always a lot of them left
> over as it was the last field ration that was eaten.

Okay, everyone has to go look for Kraft cheese in a can. It isn't
dry at all, it's about the consistency of American cheese, or mild
cheddar.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Oh, my. . . canned cheese.

The world war II "D-Ration" was an olive-drab can of cheese! Very dry
cheese as I recall. . . about the size of a large tuna-fish can. It
was not a beloved favorite and there were always a lot of them left
over as it was the last field ration that was eaten.

The great esteem in which this particular ration was held is indicated
by its slang term, A-hole tightener.

I know you really wanted to know this!

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

In article <[email protected]>, Ang and
Bruce <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't think it's available internationally, hey.

I know it is available in the Middle East, in the US and I'm pretty
sure Australia, I've labelling on the cans which says something about
Australia. It may be available other places.

Regards,
Ranee

--

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 06:25:31p, TheAlligator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
>>And Underwood Devilled Ham...

> Oh, man, I forgot about that stuff. Heaven in a can.

I always keep a can or two in my desk at work, with a package of crackers,
just in case I forget to bring lunch or don't have time to go out.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
>I always keep a can or two in my desk at work, with a package of crackers,
>just in case I forget to bring lunch or don't have time to go out.

Wait a minute - you're telling me the steff is still around? Don't
tease me, man, how do I get some?

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 06:41:58p, TheAlligator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I always keep a can or two in my desk at work, with a package of crackers,
>>just in case I forget to bring lunch or don't have time to go out.

> Wait a minute - you're telling me the steff is still around? Don't
> tease me, man, how do I get some?

Every supermarket I go to carries it. In most of them it's shelved near the
canned tuna, sardines, etc. I think they also have a potted corned beef and
some kind of potted chicken as well. Remember, it's in a can wrapped in
white paper. The print, IIRC, is black and red.

Wayne

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:04:10 -0800, Ranee Mueller
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Rich reminded me to mention my love of canned Kraft cheese as another
>shameful food secret.

The DH loves Kraft's Cheez Whiz. My shameful food secret is <looking
around to make sure no one is listening> pork rinds <blush!>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>My shameful food secret is <looking
>around to make sure no one is listening> pork rinds <blush!>

I like 'em too. Plus, they have no carbs. :)

Carol

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

> When I was a kid I sometimes ate white bread with butter and a thick
> layer of brown sugar. I'm not quite sure why my somewhat puritanical

> mother permitted it, but she did!

Funny, my snack when I was a kid was Wonder bread with butter (actually
margarine in our house) with rainbow sprinkles on top. Not sure why mom
let me eat this either, but I never complained!

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:11:43 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
>wrote:
>
>>My shameful food secret is <looking
>>around to make sure no one is listening> pork rinds <blush!>

>I like 'em too. Plus, they have no carbs. :)

No carbs? Really? I'm going on the Lindora diet on Wednesday...hee
hee.

(9 weeks to the Baja California cruise and Bathing Suit Hell)

wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:11:43 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
>>wrote:
>>
>>>My shameful food secret is <looking
>>>around to make sure no one is listening> pork rinds <blush!>

>>I like 'em too. Plus, they have no carbs. :)

>No carbs? Really? I'm going on the Lindora diet on Wednesday...hee
>hee.

No carbs, but lots of fat and calories. These are only a good deal if
you're low-carbing. I dip them in guacamole.

What's the Lindora diet? I've never heard of it.

>(9 weeks to the Baja California cruise and Bathing Suit Hell)

Just pack a few muumuus and enjoy yourself!

Carol