Secret food shame

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Yeff, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. On Fri 18 Feb 2005 09:08:09p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Buttermilk....yuuuuuummmmm. I do get a kick out of the advertising,
    > though. "Low Fat" buttermilk? Just what do they think it is, if not
    > milk with the butterfat removed and then fermented. lol.

    When butter was churned in the farm kitchen, there was next to no butterfat
    left in the milk. Depending on the dairy, commercial buttermilk ranges from
    1/2% to full fat 4%. Most commonly available is 1/2% and 1%.

    > Just took some tomato soup to the monthly potluck. Campbells condensed,
    > buttermilk and paprika. Should have taken 2 gallons instead of just the
    > one. <beg>

    I like tomato soup with buttermilk served chilled in a mug during the summer.

    Wayne

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:06:29 GMT, Dog3
    <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

    > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Fri 18 Feb 2005 09:08:09p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    > >
    > >> Buttermilk....yuuuuuummmmm. I do get a kick out of the advertising,
    > >> though. "Low Fat" buttermilk? Just what do they think it is, if not
    > >> milk with the butterfat removed and then fermented. lol.

    > > When butter was churned in the farm kitchen, there was next to no
    > > butterfat left in the milk. Depending on the dairy, commercial
    > > buttermilk ranges from 1/2% to full fat 4%. Most commonly available
    > > is 1/2% and 1%.
    > >
    > >> Just took some tomato soup to the monthly potluck. Campbells
    > >> condensed, buttermilk and paprika. Should have taken 2 gallons
    > >> instead of just the one. <beg>

    > > I like tomato soup with buttermilk served chilled in a mug during the
    > > summer.

    I've never heard of that before. Is it a regional thing?

    > Mmmmmm... me too. I like a bit of fresh basil, oregano or rosemary in it
    > too. Not all 3, just one of them.

    Fresh tomato soup (not creamed) with a sprinkling of chopped
    fresh basil is something I go for!

    sf