securing disc brake caliper bolts

Alex

Guest
I've got the quad-piston Shimano XTs and was thumbing through the
installation guide and noticed the Shimano 'stop rings' . Little
plastic caps with hooks that slide onto the caliper mounting bolts and
hook the disc tabs. I don't have these, and don't have the slightest
idea where to get them.

I have in the past lost a bolt holding my rear caliper which rendered
my rear brake usuless for the rest of the ride.

I'm wondering what folks do about this issue. Loc-tite? Commercial
products? Homemade solutions? Curious minds, etc...

Look forwarding to hearing the ingenious solutions .

Thanks,

ashayk

"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got the quad-piston Shimano XTs and was thumbing through the
> installation guide and noticed the Shimano 'stop rings' . Little
> plastic caps with hooks that slide onto the caliper mounting bolts and
> hook the disc tabs. I don't have these, and don't have the slightest
> idea where to get them.
>
> I have in the past lost a bolt holding my rear caliper which rendered
> my rear brake usuless for the rest of the ride.
>
> I'm wondering what folks do about this issue. Loc-tite? Commercial
> products? Homemade solutions? Curious minds, etc...

Loctite works..used on motorcycle brake caliper bolts from the factory. Use
the blue so you can get them out again. The cap is more of a visual check I
think..like safety wiring..you can visually see if your bolts are there and
secure.

Cheers,

Scott..

On 22 Apr 2004 23:06:13 -0700, [email protected] (Alex) wrote:

>I've got the quad-piston Shimano XTs and was thumbing through the
>installation guide and noticed the Shimano 'stop rings' . Little
>plastic caps with hooks that slide onto the caliper mounting bolts and
>hook the disc tabs. I don't have these, and don't have the slightest
>idea where to get them.
>
>I have in the past lost a bolt holding my rear caliper which rendered
>my rear brake usuless for the rest of the ride.
>
>I'm wondering what folks do about this issue. Loc-tite? Commercial
>products? Homemade solutions? Curious minds, etc...
>
>Look forwarding to hearing the ingenious solutions .
>
>Thanks,
>
>ashayk

The XT caliper mounting bolts come drilled for lockwire, and Shimano
supply the lockwire with the brake kit.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2004 23:06:13 -0700, [email protected] (Alex) wrote:
>

>>I've got the quad-piston Shimano XTs and was thumbing through the
>>installation guide and noticed the Shimano 'stop rings' . Little
>>plastic caps with hooks that slide onto the caliper mounting bolts and
>>hook the disc tabs. I don't have these, and don't have the slightest
>>idea where to get them.
>>
>>I have in the past lost a bolt holding my rear caliper which rendered
>>my rear brake usuless for the rest of the ride.
>>
>>I'm wondering what folks do about this issue. Loc-tite? Commercial
>>products? Homemade solutions? Curious minds, etc...
>>
>>Look forwarding to hearing the ingenious solutions .
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>ashayk

> The XT caliper mounting bolts come drilled for lockwire, and Shimano
> supply the lockwire with the brake kit.

not on the later versions - no drillings or wire. just use thread lock.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:10:50 GMT, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>Kinky Cowboy wrote:
>> On 22 Apr 2004 23:06:13 -0700, [email protected] (Alex) wrote:
>>

>>>I've got the quad-piston Shimano XTs and was thumbing through the
>>>installation guide and noticed the Shimano 'stop rings' . Little
>>>plastic caps with hooks that slide onto the caliper mounting bolts and
>>>hook the disc tabs. I don't have these, and don't have the slightest
>>>idea where to get them.
>>>
>>>I have in the past lost a bolt holding my rear caliper which rendered
>>>my rear brake usuless for the rest of the ride.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering what folks do about this issue. Loc-tite? Commercial
>>>products? Homemade solutions? Curious minds, etc...
>>>
>>>Look forwarding to hearing the ingenious solutions .
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>ashayk

>> The XT caliper mounting bolts come drilled for lockwire, and Shimano
>> supply the lockwire with the brake kit.

>not on the later versions - no drillings or wire. just use thread lock.

Mine are all BR-M755 model, presumably from your post the 756 come
without the drilling and lockwire. It's a simple enough thing to drill
the bolt heads and get some lockwire from your local motorcycle race
shop if you want the extra security.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:10:50 GMT, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Kinky Cowboy wrote:

>>>The XT caliper mounting bolts come drilled for lockwire, and Shimano
>>>supply the lockwire with the brake kit.

>>not on the later versions - no drillings or wire. just use thread lock.

> Mine are all BR-M755 model, presumably from your post the 756 come
> without the drilling and lockwire. It's a simple enough thing to drill
> the bolt heads and get some lockwire from your local motorcycle race
> shop if you want the extra security.

Is it common for caliper mounting bolts to come loose? My Avids came with
a thread filling substance on them. Is that enough to keep them from
vibrating loose?

Greg

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mine are all BR-M755 model, presumably from your post the 756 come
> without the drilling and lockwire. It's a simple enough thing to drill
> the bolt heads and get some lockwire from your local motorcycle race
> shop if you want the extra security.

Easy?!? Ahem... :p

Former owner of safety-wired GSXR-750...

Scott..

S. Anderson wrote:
> Easy?!? Ahem... :p
> Former owner of safety-wired GSXR-750...

Yeah, I also wondered if the mysterious Mr Kinky had ever
actually drilled a hardened bolt through the head himself
before calling that "simple".

They are a readily available fastener. If you want to
safety-wire the assembly I'd just buy those bolts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

G.T. wrote:
> Kinky Cowboy wrote:

>>> not on the later versions - no drillings or wire. just use thread lock.

>> Mine are all BR-M755 model, presumably from your post the 756 come
>> without the drilling and lockwire. It's a simple enough thing to drill
>> the bolt heads and get some lockwire from your local motorcycle race
>> shop if you want the extra security.
>>

> Is it common for caliper mounting bolts to come loose? My Avids came
> with a thread filling substance on them. Is that enough to keep them
> from vibrating loose?

if torqued to spec, yes, it's fine. wire is overkill.