Security in Athens

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Larry Weisentha, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Holy Cow. I'm beginning to think that the Olympics may
    finally be creating more problems than they are worth. I
    remember those happy bygone days -- when the worst of our
    worries was who was taking what drug.

    Missile umbrella to shield Athens Olympiad (Xinhua) Updated:
    2004-03-16 09:16

    A "missile umbrella" made up of Patriot, Stinger and Hawk
    missile batteries will protect Athens in an effort to boost
    defense against terrorism during the upcoming Olympic Games
    scheduled for Aug. 13-29, local media reported Monday.

    The air defense map for the safety of the Olympic Games is
    ready, according to the Athens Greek-language newspaper "
    Apogevmatini".

    The air defense umbrella will be completed with the presence
    of Mirage 2000 and F-16 interception fighter jets as well as
    the state-of-art single engine turboprop aircraft T-6A Texan
    II and flying radar stations.

    Similar protection will have other four Greek cities with
    Olympic venues. The country will also be protected from
    nuclear threat, as the responsible authorities consider any
    likelihood.

    Security issue has been the top worry for the international
    community, although Greek government has earmarked a record
    650 million euros (US$820 million) for the Olympic security
    budget, three times as much as that for Sydney Olympic
    Games, and 50,000 armed personnel, police, coast guards and
    emergency servicemen for the Olympics.

    International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    has said that "everything humanly possible is being done"
    for the Olympics, but the security concern has been
    highlighted following the series of terrorist attacks in
    Madrid last Thursday, which killed about 200 people and
    injured another 1,400.

    Tags:

  2. "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Holy Cow. I'm beginning to think that the Olympics may
    > finally be creating
    more
    > problems than they are worth.

    The Olympics have always been more trouble than they were
    worth, because people invest them with pilitics.

    I remember those happy bygone days -- when the
    > worst of our worries was who was taking what drug.
    >

    > Missile umbrella to shield Athens Olympiad (Xinhua)
    > Updated: 2004-03-16 09:16
    >

    > A "missile umbrella" made up of Patriot, Stinger and
    > Hawk missile
    batteries
    > will protect Athens in an effort to boost defense against
    > terrorism during
    the
    > upcoming Olympic Games scheduled for Aug. 13-29, local
    > media reported
    Monday.

    There can be no effective defence against terrorism. It is a
    struggle of ideas carried out with weapons. It can not be
    defeated with weapons, only ideas.

    > The air defense map for the safety of the Olympic Games
    > is ready,
    according to
    > the Athens Greek-language newspaper " Apogevmatini".
    >
    > The air defense umbrella will be completed with the
    > presence of Mirage
    2000 and
    > F-16 interception fighter jets as well as the state-of-art
    > single engine turboprop aircraft T-6A Texan II and flying
    > radar stations.
    >
    > Similar protection will have other four Greek cities with
    > Olympic venues.
    The
    > country will also be protected from nuclear threat, as the
    > responsible authorities consider any likelihood.
    >
    > Security issue has been the top worry for the
    > international community,
    although
    > Greek government has earmarked a record 650 million euros
    > (US$820 million)
    for
    > the Olympic security budget, three times as much as that
    > for Sydney
    Olympic
    > Games, and 50,000 armed personnel, police, coast guards
    > and emergency servicemen for the Olympics.
    >
    > International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    > has said that "everything humanly possible is being done"
    > for the Olympics, but the
    security
    > concern has been highlighted following the series of
    > terrorist attacks in Madrid last Thursday, which killed
    > about 200 people and injured another
    1,400.

    The greatest gift the USA could give to the world sporting
    community would be to stay away from the Olympics. I regret
    that the same is now true of the UK, as we have a US poodle
    for a Prime Minister currently. The US Government does not
    own the Olympics, but as with everything else in the world,
    it acts as if it does. Well Larry......you started it.

  3. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    On the Today show yesterday, the head of the American
    security delegation (in response to a rumour we might
    boycott the Games) said that Los Angeles has been designated
    as the back-up location for the Games should Athens be
    unable to ensure security and/or completion of the
    facilities.

    Larry Weisenthal left this mess on 16 Mar 2004 05:15:32 GMT
    for The Way to clean up:

    >Holy Cow. I'm beginning to think that the Olympics may
    >finally be creating more problems than they are worth. I
    >remember those happy bygone days -- when the worst of our
    >worries was who was taking what drug.
    >

    >Missile umbrella to shield Athens Olympiad (Xinhua)
    >Updated: 2004-03-16 09:16
    >

    >A "missile umbrella" made up of Patriot, Stinger and Hawk
    >missile batteries will protect Athens in an effort to boost
    >defense against terrorism during the upcoming Olympic Games
    >scheduled for Aug. 13-29, local media reported Monday.
    >
    >The air defense map for the safety of the Olympic Games is
    >ready, according to the Athens Greek-language newspaper "
    >Apogevmatini".
    >
    >The air defense umbrella will be completed with the
    >presence of Mirage 2000 and F-16 interception fighter jets
    >as well as the state-of-art single engine turboprop
    >aircraft T-6A Texan II and flying radar stations.
    >
    >Similar protection will have other four Greek cities with
    >Olympic venues. The country will also be protected from
    >nuclear threat, as the responsible authorities consider any
    >likelihood.
    >
    >Security issue has been the top worry for the international
    >community, although Greek government has earmarked a record
    >650 million euros (US$820 million) for the Olympic security
    >budget, three times as much as that for Sydney Olympic
    >Games, and 50,000 armed personnel, police, coast guards and
    >emergency servicemen for the Olympics.
    >
    >International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    >has said that "everything humanly possible is being done"
    >for the Olympics, but the security concern has been
    >highlighted following the series of terrorist attacks in
    >Madrid last Thursday, which killed about 200 people and
    >injured another 1,400.

    Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." -
    Carl (c) 2003

    (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a
    dumb-ass question
    here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  4. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > The greatest gift the USA could give to the world sporting
    > community would be to stay away from the Olympics. I
    > regret that the same is now true of the UK, as we have a
    > US poodle for a Prime Minister currently. The US
    > Government does not own the Olympics, but as with
    > everything else in the world, it acts as if it does. Well
    > Larry......you started it.

    I concur in large part with the concept of battling
    terrorists with ideas, but the U.S. deciding not to attend
    the Olympics for fear of a terrorist attack would constitute
    a failure in the war of ideas. Central to the concept of
    using ideas as a weapon is not backing down in the face of
    violence. Allowing yourself to be manipulated by violence is
    no better than attempting to assert your will by violence.
    Besides, I would wager the odds of a terror attack occurring
    are hardly effected at all by U.S. participation. Madrid
    demonstrated that pretty well, I think.

    - Al

  5. Curt

    Curt Guest

    > The greatest gift the USA could give to the world sporting
    > community would be to stay away from the Olympics. I
    > regret that the same is now true of
    the
    > UK, as we have a US poodle for a Prime Minister
    > currently. The US
    Government
    > does not own the Olympics, but as with everything else in
    > the world, it
    acts
    > as if it does. Well Larry......you started it.

    Yeah, in a way as sad as it sounds you may be right. If the
    US and UK stayed out of the games, other countries may have
    a good time. What a mess
    G.W. and your poodle as you put it has made things. They
    are doing a terrible job IMHO and are doing more harm
    than good. Oh well, oil and money make people do
    unthinkable things.

    Enjoy, Curt

  6. You're much more likely to die in a street mugging in Los
    Angeles than from a terrorist bomb in Athens.

    "de Valois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On the Today show yesterday, the head of the American
    > security delegation
    (in
    > response to a rumour we might boycott the Games) said that
    > Los Angeles has
    been
    > designated as the back-up location for the Games should
    > Athens be unable
    > ensure security and/or completion of the facilities.
    >
    > Larry Weisenthal left this mess on 16 Mar 2004 05:15:32
    > GMT for The Way to
    clean
    > up:
    > >
    > >Holy Cow. I'm beginning to think that the Olympics may
    > >finally be
    creating more
    > >problems than they are worth. I remember those happy
    > >bygone days -- when
    the
    > >worst of our worries was who was taking what drug.
    > >

    > >Missile umbrella to shield Athens Olympiad (Xinhua)
    > >Updated: 2004-03-16 09:16
    > >

    > >A "missile umbrella" made up of Patriot, Stinger and Hawk
    > >missile
    batteries
    > >will protect Athens in an effort to boost defense against
    > >terrorism
    during the
    > >upcoming Olympic Games scheduled for Aug. 13-29, local
    > >media reported
    Monday.

    > >The air defense map for the safety of the Olympic Games
    > >is ready,
    according to
    > >the Athens Greek-language newspaper " Apogevmatini".
    > >
    > >The air defense umbrella will be completed with the
    > >presence of Mirage
    2000 and
    > >F-16 interception fighter jets as well as the state-of-
    > >art single engine turboprop aircraft T-6A Texan II and
    > >flying radar stations.
    > >
    > >Similar protection will have other four Greek cities with
    > >Olympic venues.
    The
    > >country will also be protected from nuclear threat, as
    > >the responsible authorities consider any likelihood.
    > >
    > >Security issue has been the top worry for the
    > >international community,
    although
    > >Greek government has earmarked a record 650 million euros
    > >(US$820
    million) for
    > >the Olympic security budget, three times as much as that
    > >for Sydney
    Olympic
    > >Games, and 50,000 armed personnel, police, coast guards
    > >and emergency servicemen for the Olympics.
    > >
    > >International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    > >has said that "everything humanly possible is being done"
    > >for the Olympics, but the
    security
    > >concern has been highlighted following the series of
    > >terrorist attacks in Madrid last Thursday, which killed
    > >about 200 people and injured another
    1,400.

    > Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl
    > (c) 2003
    >
    > (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a
    > dumb-ass
    question
    > here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  7. Mike Edey

    Mike Edey Guest

    Heck - in 2001 it was more then 300 times more likely that
    an american would die of heart disease then in some little
    mishap in september. Heck the numbers say more people died
    of heart attacks & what not _the_same_day_ then those at the
    world trade center.

    --Mike

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004
    19:04:35 +0000, Duncan Heenan wrote:

> [...]
    >> >Greek government has earmarked a record 650 million
    >> >euros (US$820
    > million) for
    >> >the Olympic security budget, three times as much as that
    >> >for Sydney
    > Olympic
    >> >Games, and 50,000 armed personnel, police, coast guards
    >> >and emergency servicemen for the Olympics.
    >> >
    >> >International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    >> >has said that "everything humanly possible is being
    >> >done" for the Olympics, but the
    > security
    >> >concern has been highlighted following the series of
    >> >terrorist attacks in Madrid last Thursday, which killed
    >> >about 200 people and injured another
    > 1,400.
    >> >

    >> Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl
    >> (c) 2003
    >>
    >> (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a

  8. Richard Cant

    Richard Cant Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Mike Edey <[email protected]> writes
    >Heck - in 2001 it was more then 300 times more likely that
    >an american would die of heart disease then in some little
    >mishap in september. Heck the numbers say more people died
    >of heart attacks & what not _the_same_day_ then those at
    >the world trade center.

    Yes there is a simple rule. Never worry about anything that
    you see on the news. To get on the news it must be
    sufficiently rare that your chances of being involved are
    negligible!

    --
    Richard Cant

  9. Mike Edey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Heck - in 2001 it was more then 300 times more likely that
    >an american would die of heart disease then in some little
    >mishap in september. Heck the numbers say more people died
    >of heart attacks & what not _the_same_day_ then those at
    >the world trade center.

    Then we should stop wasting the enormous and increasing
    amount of money we are spending on the olympics and spend
    it on eliminating heart disease by promoting health and
    fitness instead.

    martin

  10. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:01:15 +0000, Richard Cant
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In message <[email protected]>,
    >Mike Edey <[email protected]> writes
    >>Heck - in 2001 it was more then 300 times more likely that
    >>an american would die of heart disease then in some little
    >>mishap in september. Heck the numbers say more people died
    >>of heart attacks & what not _the_same_day_ then those at
    >>the world trade center.
    >
    >Yes there is a simple rule. Never worry about anything that
    >you see on the news. To get on the news it must be
    >sufficiently rare that your chances of being involved are
    >negligible!

    Oh, man that is great. Possibly the truest statement I have
    ever heard on the subject of relative risk. Thanks.

  11. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    No shit. That little fact probably escaped their notice.

    Duncan Heenan left this mess on Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:04:35
    -0000 for The Way to clean up:

> [...]
    >> >and emergency servicemen for the Olympics.
    >> >
    >> >International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge
    >> >has said that "everything humanly possible is being
    >> >done" for the Olympics, but the
    >security
    >> >concern has been highlighted following the series of
    >> >terrorist attacks in Madrid last Thursday, which killed
    >> >about 200 people and injured another
    >1,400.
    >> >

    >> Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl
    >> (c) 2003
    >>
    >> (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a
    >> dumb-ass
    >question
    >> here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

    Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." -
    Carl (c) 2003

    (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a

  12. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    Mike Edey left this mess on Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:22:21 GMT for The Way to clean
    up:

    >Heck - in 2001 it was more then 300 times more likely that
    >an american would die of heart disease then in some little
    >mishap in september. Heck the numbers say more people died
    >of heart attacks & what not _the_same_day_ then those at
    >the world trade center.
    >
    >--Mike

    Not "quite" true. Compiled statistics (I love trolling the
    morbidity and mortality reports on the government
    websites) indicate only about a 1,000 people died of heart
    attacks that were suffered ON September 11. However, if
    you expand your comment to include how many people were
    admitted to hospitals with heart attacks that day, then
    you have a point.

    Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." -
    Carl (c) 2003

    (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a
    dumb-ass question
    here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  13. "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >>You're much more likely to die in a street mugging in
    > >>Los Angeles than
    from
    > a terrorist bomb in Athens.<<
    >
    > Such random "street muggings" are quite rare. Most LA
    > homocides involve
    people
    > who know each other quarreling with each other, gang
    > related attacks on
    other
    > gang members, or robberies of convenience stores and the
    > like. The
    University
    > of Southern California, the Staples Center (home of two
    > NBA teams and one
    NHL
    > team), the LA Coliseum, and the LA Convention Center are
    > all located in
    the
    > heart of the city, yet violence directed at students,
    > convention goers,
    and/or
    > sports fans is vanishingly rare.

    Would you care to compare the actual numbers of momicides in
    Los Angeles in, say since September 11th 2001, with the
    number of people killed in Athens by Terrorists?

  14. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Would you care to compare the actual numbers of momicides
    > in Los Angeles in, say since September 11th 2001, with the
    > number of people killed in Athens by Terrorists?

    Yes, but how many of these moms were prepared in advance
    with a Homeland Security Approved rolling pin? :) Happy St.
    Patrick's Day!

    - Al

  15. "Larry Weisenthal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >>You're much more likely to die in a street mugging in
    > >>Los Angeles than
    from