seeding getting one as a foreigner

maarten

Nov 16, 2002
This is my problem:

I will be coming to S-A in july for about 6 months, but I don't want to start at the low level as I'am used to be doing races at at least 40km/h average in my home country.
So my question is is there a way to get an elite or at least A seeding based upon non S-A race experience and what kind of refference should I supply therefor.

Thanx already

maarten

maarten, contact the seeding office and I'm sure they will set it up for you. You will probably have to draw up some sort of CV, and have your club or team manager verify it. I don't think you will have a problem tho.

The e-mail address is [email protected]

Let me know how it goes.

I have mailed them and pedalpower(as I will be dominantly racing in the cape region). when I get the replies I'll keep you guys here posted.

Finally got this reply from supercyling:

>Hi Maarten,
>
>If the results have met the requirements needed for a race to be included in the seeding ladder, I can have a look at this. Please send me all relative info for me to have a look at.
>
>Regards
>
>Erick

and mailed this myself:

Hi Erick,
First some info on our racing system most of our races are on road circuits varying from 1200meters-15km where a certain number of laps need to be completed. Racing is very close and only the better riders are able to race because when your are between 3 and 5 minutes down on the main field you will be forced to retire from the race. This means small numbers of starters but high quality of the field.
As a result of the circuit formula races in Belgium contain much more corners then in South Africa which means more accelerating and harder racing.
Some of my results:

Cyclosportief
2nd out of 14 on the 1k TT on the national championships 3th out of 14 on the 200meter sprint at the national Track championships

Schriek september 6th
79k(18laps)
18th out of 115 10" behind winner winners speed 45,2km/h

Retie september 18th
56k(7laps)
7th out of 145 same time as winner average speed 45,8km/h

Brecht february 23th
75k(20 laps)
9th out of 70 same time as winner average speed 41,5km/h

Oosterhout march 16th
60k (43 laps)
8th out of 39 15" down on winner average speed 41,9km/h

Molenbeek wersbeek march 23th
78k(12 laps)
23th out of 96 1' down on winner average speed 42,2km/u

Zolder april 6th
60k(on F1 circuit)
11th out of 69 15" down on winner average speed 42km/u

Schoten april 16th
105k(7laps)
39th out of 273 25" down on winner average speed 45,2
Several pro teams participated this race(Comnet senges TT3, Quickstep davitamon TT3; van hemert groep cycling team TT3, van vliet ebh gazelle TT3, Apac cycling team and some others)
All races are organised by KBWB(belgian cycling federation), VWB(Flemish cycling feration) or BWF(a local Dutch cycling federation)
Can you tell me what seeding I can recieve upon this results or which type of races I should provide results of for the comig months or what extra information you need on the results already provided.
Thanx,
Maarten Witters

Now wait and see what they make of it

Got answer from cyclelab got an A seeding.

Have tried again at pedalpower on another E-mail addres as I haven't recieved an answer from them yet.

A-seeding is the highest level you can achieve without becoming a pro in SA (excluding vets, but you have to be older than 30 to race vets). So they have seeded you with the top racers in the country. :cool:

Went to pedalpower today they gave me a B seeding based upon the the above results and the fact that in the last championchips(Provincial/national Track/Road) Made me take a silver and 3 bronzes home(2 off them could have been gold with alittle luck), its enough to get a league number for Italian connection. Now racing will start soon we'll see, the climbing/uphill will probabely the problem, am a sprinter a boy from the flatlands not made for something bigger as a bridge.

Racing results

First a smal pret trap in town(stellenbosch) 60 people taking part 40km distance. scaled the pack down to 10 after 20k the countered the attacks uphill end won the sprint of 5 in front of leonardo van onselen and dan craven.

Superleague pedalpower (western cape)
Race 1, 3 clear bad sprint(timing + biggest cog blocked early in the race) Came 7th overal

Superleague pedalpower (western cape)
Race 2 Missed the 2 man breakaway of Chris esch an lourens Calitz(had just attacked before) attacked with 25k to go got me a minute in about 10k and tahen kept it between 30 sec and 1min 30 to wheel in 3d about half a minute in front of the pack

I've been told that the top 10 of the final classification of superleague get an invitational ticket for the argus.