Seeing the Tour d'France on L'alpe d'Huez

Gordon A. Allen

Guest
Hi all, I hope to see some of the Tour d'France this summer and have a couple of questions about the
day the tour visits L'Alpe d'Huez. I have a room at a hotel in Grenoble and access to a car. How do
I get to the top of the alp? Can I drive to the top in the morning or is parking impossible? I
understand a bus goes from Grenoble to the top; will it be running that day and can I count on a
place on the bus. Are there any suggestions as to where to see the race.

Thanks for any and all help, Gordon, who is hoping Lance takes the lead that day.

"Gordon A. Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all, I hope to see some of the Tour d'France this summer and have a couple of questions about
> the day the tour visits L'Alpe d'Huez. I have a room at a hotel in Grenoble and access to a car.
> How do I get to the top of the alp? Can I drive to the top in the morning or is parking
> impossible? I understand a bus goes from Grenoble to the top; will it be running that day and can
> I count on a place on the bus. Are there any suggestions as to where to see the race.

Hi, Gordon,

Your best bet is to take a bike or walk to the top; you won't be able to get a car to the top on the
day of the stage. Many will start camping out there two or three days ahead. The road will also be
closed to vehicular traffic very early in the day.

I did this in 2001, and riding from Grenoble to the top isn't that bad if you're a reasonably
fit cyclist. My hotel was right on Victor Hugo Plaza. It took me a little over an hour from the
base of L'Alpe to the top, and at a liesurely pace it'll probably take you 2 or so hours to get
out to the base at Bourg d'Oisans. If you're planning on heading all the way to the top, there
are little groceries, patisseries, etc. up there where you can get food. If not, there is a
Champion Supermarche' (sponsor of the polka dot jersey) in Bourg, and you could grab a few
things and head up.

I viewed about halfway up, and it was great.

You'll have a blast!

-cj

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:12:04 -0400, "Gordon A. Allen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, I hope to see some of the Tour d'France this summer and have a couple of questions about
>the day the tour visits L'Alpe d'Huez. I have a room at a hotel in Grenoble and access to a car.
>How do I get to the top of the alp? Can I drive to the top in the morning or is parking impossible?
>I understand a bus goes from Grenoble to the top; will it be running that day and can I count on a
>place on the bus. Are there any suggestions as to where to see the race.
>
>Thanks for any and all help, Gordon, who is hoping Lance takes the lead that day.

In 1992 I drove from Annecy and parked about 7 km from the top. parking was tight at about 10:30 AM
when I got there. I then walked about 2 more km up hill and found a shady spot to await the action.