Seeing Tour de France in person, need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seatac

Hello. I will be in Paris for the start of the tour and wanted to get some advice on how to take
advantage of the oppurtunity.

Where is the best to go to see the prologue? Are there any events the day beofre the prologue were I
can go to get autographs, like Lance? Where is the best place to see see the start of Stage 1.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

On 5/22/03 7:48 PM, in article [email protected], "SeaTac"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello. I will be in Paris for the start of the tour and wanted to get some advice on how to take
> advantage of the oppurtunity.
>
> Where is the best to go to see the prologue? Are there any events the day beofre the prologue were
> I can go to get autographs, like Lance? Where is the best place to see see the start of Stage 1.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alex

Do not get to close to the riders and make an ass of yourself.......

You might get PUNCHED (It "will" be something to talk about at the weekend club rides!)

>Hello. I will be in Paris for the start of the tour and wanted to get some advice on how to take
>advantage of the oppurtunity.

The veterans tend to have little footstools to carry around with them and stand on in order to see.
Vendors sell them on-site for what amounted to about $15 US when I was there, and I wish I had
bought one. When I saw the finish a few years ago, it was really hard to see through the crowd.

When I saw the start in Dublin, the best part was making my way to the staging area - where the
team buses are - on the evening before, when they do the "presentation of the teams." We didn't see
the actual ceremony, but we got up-close-and-personal with lots of the riders, the devil, etc.
Great fun.

On the day of the prologue, the most fun was watching them practice the course all day before the
event's official start. Not crowded at all, great rider recognition, etc.

Have fun!

[email protected] (SeaTac) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello. I will be in Paris for the start of the tour and wanted to get some advice on how to take
>
> Where is the best to go to see the prologue? Are there any events the day beofre the prologue were
> I can go to get autographs, like Lance? Where is the best place to see see the start of Stage 1.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alex

Get as close to LANCE as you can. He often feels isolated among all the hostile Frenchmen so any
friendly American face will be welcome. Pat him on the back, ask him to get off the trainer to
take a picture with you, ask him about his wife. All this will make him forget about the pressure
of the big race.

Even better- get to a mountain stage, run right next to him, screaming encouragement in his hear- he
loves that because LANCE is often alone on the mountain plowing a lonely furrow to the top. Drench
him with lots of cold water- LANCE loves that too. Good luck and have fun at the Tour.

> Even better- get to a mountain stage, run right next to him, screaming encouragement in his ear

I heard he loves the air-horn even better, even better with a friend on the other side.

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (SeaTac) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello. I will be in Paris for the start of the tour and wanted to get some advice on how to take
> > advantage of the oppurtunity.
> >
> > Where is the best to go to see the prologue? Are there any events the day beofre the prologue
> > were I can go to get autographs, like Lance? Where is the best place to see see the start of
> > Stage 1.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Get as close to LANCE as you can. He often feels isolated among all the hostile Frenchmen so any
> friendly American face will be welcome. Pat him on the back, ask him to get off the trainer to
> take a picture with you, ask him about his wife. All this will make him forget about the pressure
> of the big race.
>
> Even better- get to a mountain stage, run right next to him, screaming encouragement in his hear-
> he loves that because LANCE is often alone on the mountain plowing a lonely furrow to the top.
> Drench him with lots of cold water- LANCE loves that too. Good luck and have fun at the Tour.

On Fri, 23 May 2003 06:57:46 -0700, Tony wrote:

>
> Get as close to LANCE as you can. He often feels isolated among all the hostile Frenchmen so any
> friendly American face will be welcome. Pat him on the back, ask him to get off the trainer to
> take a picture with you, ask him about his wife. All this will make him forget about the pressure
> of the big race.

Yer might get five in the eye if ya mention w-i-f-e around Davey Crockett this year though......

And more seriously, the best place to watch the Tour, apart from the odd foray to a staging town for
photo ops and autograph hunts, is sipping a Kronenbourg in the local PMU bar.

Alex,

Two years ago before the start of the Grenoble time trail, a couple folks in our group got Lance's
autograph by hanging out for two hours at the fence next to the Postal bus where Lance warmed up on
a stationary bike. There aren't any formal autograph sessions and I imagine security concerns for
Postal will keep their bus from being in such a public spot. Tyler might be a bit easier to snag.

The best place to get rider autographs is on transfer day at the airport they leave from. We found
ourselves flying out of Grenoble at the same time the teams were checking in for their flight.
Postal had already checked through, but Ullrich and everyone else was just hanging out in the
airport lobby. If you wanted autographs it was a field day.

Bryan

http://www.velovacations.com/

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

"SeaTac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.