Seeking advice for first mtb

I will need a Cyclocross crankset for my bike. What BB is a 18 year-old bike currently equipped with a 9-speed Ultegra crankset likely to accommodate?
The bike probably has a HOLLOWTECH II compatible, ENGLISH THREADED cups ...

Shimano, FSA MegExo, or any OTHER Hollowtech II compatible BB can be used ...

OR, you can simply (try to) replace the bearings (6805) ... removing the bearings from Shimano's cups is pretty difficult; but, can be done if you are REALLY, REALLY motivated.
Why don't you just replace the chainrings?

The bike probably has a HOLLOWTECH II compatible, ENGLISH THREADED cups ...

Shimano, FSA MegExo, or any OTHER Hollowtech II compatible BB can be used ...

OR, you can simply (try to) replace the bearings (6805) ... removing the bearings from Shimano's cups is pretty difficult; but, can be done if you are REALLY, REALLY motivated.
Why don't you just replace the chainrings?

Will any chainring be compatible?

What is largest cassette I can fit? Is swapping RD for a MTB RD a possibility?

How is it looking re max tire clearance?

Attachments

• 20180622_142513.jpg
    20180622_142513.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180622_142417_HDR.jpg
    20180622_142417_HDR.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180622_142334.jpg
    20180622_142334.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 21
Will any chainring be compatible?
Well ...

Although the Ultegra crankset uses "standard" 130BCD chainrings, with Shimano shifters you need to use ramped-and-pinned chainrings to ensure reasonably efficient shifting ...

I can't say it often enough ...

On the other hand, the Campagnolo shifters can function efficiently with thin unramped-and-unpinned chainrings.​

Are the teeth actually worn?

OR, did you want to change to a smaller outer chainring?

What is largest cassette I can fit? Is swapping RD for a MTB RD a possibility?

How is it looking re max tire clearance?
HMMmm ...

It look as though the rear derailleur hanger is slightly longer than on a typical Raod bike, so if you had a rear derailleur with a longer cage then an 11-34 would be easily accomodated ...

I recall (unverified) some people claiming to be able to us an 11-32 Cassete with a short cage rear derailleur ...

You will need to adjust the B-screw on the back of the derailleur by turning it all the way IN ....

This is best done with the derailleur unattached OTHERWISE you will be grinding the tip of the screw into the the back of the derialleur hanger (not a good thing to do ... particularly when it is steel against aluminum) ...
Replacing the 11t upper jockey wheel with a 10t wheel will ensure that a larger Cassete will work ...
You can definitely replace the Ultegra rear derailleur with almost any Shimano MTB rear derailleur ...

You should be able to use a Cassette with a 36t Cog if you use a Shimano MTB rear derailleur.
Almost ANY Shimano MTB rear derailleur be used ...

Personally, I recommend a RAPID RISE XT (760) rear derailleur if you are going to continue to use the 105 shifters ...
You will probably find that with a frame which has cantilever brake callipers that the limitation to the maximum tire size will occur inside the chainstays ...

A typical "Hybrid" can probably accommodate 700-48 tires ... maybe, 700-53 when fenders are NOT attached ... but, it will be the side-knobs on non-road tires which will probably be THE limiting factor.

I have a 90s vintage GIANT "sports touring" frame which can accomodate 700-53 (29er) tires in lieu of 700-42 tires + fenders ...​

A CX frame might be able to accomodate 700-42 ("Hybrid") tires ...

Determining the maximum tire size will really is a trial-and-error process ...

622-17 and/or 622-22 rims acccomdate fatter tires better than the rims which the 622-15 rims which most Road bikes typically had-or-have.
Possibly worth repeating ...

... (a suspensionless 29er) is really the type of bike which you would possibly end up with in a year-or-two based on the type of non-paved riding you indicated ...
BTW. The FELT DD70 which you were looking at could accomodate MASSIVE 4" tires ... that type of "fat tire" bike is best suited for sand-and-snow but can accomodate ANY smaller sized tires if you have a second set of wheels for the bike's frame.

No chance this will work?

FSA GOSSAMER PRO BB386EVO CRANKSET
  • Model: Gossamer BB386EVO, CK-OSC6023CC/86DB
  • Length: See title / Specs
  • Mass: 778 grams (crank)
  • Speed: 10/11s Shimano/SRAM
  • Spindle type: 386EVO
  • Chainrings: 46/36T
  • Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD): 100mm, 4-bolt
  • Does NOT include bottom bracket

No chance this will work?

FSA GOSSAMER PRO BB386EVO CRANKSET

• Model: Gossamer BB386EVO, CK-OSC6023CC/86DB
    • Length: See title / Specs
    • Mass: 778 grams (crank)
    • Speed: 10/11s Shimano/SRAM
    • Spindle type: 386EVO
    • Chainrings: 46/36T
    • Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD): 100mm, 4-bolt
    • Does NOT include bottom bracket
It will NOT fit ...

WHAT (¿ gearing ?) are you trying to achieve?!?
The KONA's frame can ONLY use cranks which use ENGLISH THREADED bottom bracket CUPS.

48/36 46/36 or 46/34...

I may want to curtail my spending, but I did come across this beauty... Unfortunately, it's not suspensionless...

Selling my Scott mountain bike. It rips on the trails, climbs like a goat & lightweight. It is a 20" frame (5'11"+/-) - I am 5'11". This is an awesome, light weight cross country style mountain bike.

It is very light (under 22lbs). This bike is amazing! It is light, stiff, and fast. Has full Shimano XTR component(Top of the line).
Didn't ride long time so you will need good tune up. Right side shifter have little problem but use able.

Ad will be deleted when sold so please don't ask if bike is still available
Price is $350 Obo (Just XTR hubs with mavic wheelset cost more then what i'm asking)
Include Clip pedals with cycling computer.
thanks

Attachments

• 00D0D_jWjg4LXhYOs_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_jWjg4LXhYOs_600x450.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 20
  • 00i0i_hyGX8I5VGqs_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_hyGX8I5VGqs_600x450.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 00000_3WZjj7QSV6v_600x450.jpg
    00000_3WZjj7QSV6v_600x450.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 00A0A_40W0GR0Zu9z_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_40W0GR0Zu9z_600x450.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 00X0X_kBeGqD2UZAg_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_kBeGqD2UZAg_600x450.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 20
  • 00v0v_lhWUJ0cwYW2_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_lhWUJ0cwYW2_600x450.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
I just placed a bid on a rapid rise 760 on eBay. If I replace my Ultegra RD with a mountain I'll probably be ok with a 50-34 crank

Found this for $37.50:

Shimano Tiagra 2-piece cranksets with bottom bracket included!

Crankarm Length: 175 mm
Chaingrings: Triple (30/39/50)

Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket Included: SM-FC4500 BC 1.37x24 Road0

Found this for $37.50:

Shimano Tiagra 2-piece cranksets with bottom bracket included!

Crankarm Length: 175 mm
Chaingrings: Triple (30/39/50)

Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket Included: SM-FC4500 BC 1.37x24 Road0
Tiagra cranksets are functionally as good as Ultegra cranks, but they are not finished as nicely ...

HOWEVER, the Tiagra chainrings are essentially the same as 105 chainrings ...

And, 105 chainrings are definitely inferior to Ultegra-and-Dura-Ace chainrings ...

The last time I looked at 105 rings (a few years ago, so things may be different, now) the chainrings merely had a bulge instead of machined ramping ...

They would be 'okay' if you were going to be using them with Campagnolo shifters.​

That's a long way of saying to walk-away from the Tiagra crankset.
If you want a different crankset for your KONA which has a smaller inner chainring then I strongly recommend you choose either an XT or SLX crankset ...

For purely aesthetic reasons, I prefer the comparatively-vintage XT cranks which have the flat silver arms.

SLX cranks are in the sweet-spot as far as "quality"-and-price ... but, comparatively fugly, IMO.
Good luck with the Rapid Rise XT rear derailleur auction ... SGS cage is better if you are using a Triple ... GS is fine for a Double ...

I transplanted a short cage Ultegra rear derailleur cage onto one of mine!​

48/36 46/36 or 46/34...

I may want to curtail my spending, but I did come across this beauty... Unfortunately, it's not suspensionless...

Selling my Scott mountain bike. It rips on the trails, climbs like a goat & lightweight. It is a 20" frame (5'11"+/-) - I am 5'11". This is an awesome, light weight cross country style mountain bike.

It is very light (under 22lbs). This bike is amazing! It is light, stiff, and fast. Has full Shimano XTR component(Top of the line).
Didn't ride long time so you will need good tune up. Right side shifter have little problem but use able.

Ad will be deleted when sold so please don't ask if bike is still available
Price is $350 Obo (Just XTR hubs with mavic wheelset cost more then what i'm asking)
Include Clip pedals with cycling computer.
thanks
SWEET ...

BUT, those XTR cranks are actually worse than the 9-speed Octalink XTR cranks because those chainrings are proprietary ...

At least you could change the odd-ball BCD spider on the Octalink XTR cranks to one with a "normal" BCD.

Would you buy the bike or opt to pass and wait until an inexpensive suspensionless 29er hits the market?
If you are asking about the SCOTT then I would definitely pass on it ...

As great as the XTR components might have been in 2002 (and, those actual components may be only ~10 years old), I still feel that a suspensionless 29er is the bike which will probably suit the type of riding which you described ...​

BTW. You may find that for the surfaces you encounter that you won't need larger tires than whatever will fit in the KONA's frame ...

You can always use a slightly narrower in the rear than in the front ...

If you don't already have a METRIC tape measure, you can get one at WalMart.

Measure the Fork's space above the brake pads ...

Also, measure the space in area above the brake pads between the seat stays ...

And, across the chain stays near the BB ....
Again, the knobs on the side of a typical 29er tire may affect who large a tire can be used in the Fork & frame; but, you'll have a beginning point as to what won't fit.
Of course, the type of surfaces which you ride on this year may not be what you will want to be riding on in a couple of years ...

Shimano Deore XT FC-M751 Crankset 175mm Triple + BB-ES70 Octalink Bottom Bracket

Would this work? I've been checking SLX and XTs as per your suggestions but unless they are triples the gearing is too low.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-28-08-48-28.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-28-08-48-28.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
Shimano Deore XT FC-M751 Crankset 175mm Triple + BB-ES70 Octalink Bottom Bracket

Would this work? I've been checking SLX and XTs as per your suggestions but unless they are triples the gearing is too low.
Yes, that will work ...

It appears to be in very nice condition.
BUT, why do you feel a need to replace the Ultegra crankset?

AND, what do you mean "unless they are triples the gearing is too low"?

Because the Ultegra is a 52-39. I feel that gear ratio is too high for off-road riding. Conversely the gearing on most MTB cranksets is too low. A triple MTB crankset is ideal because they're usually equipped with a 44-tooth chainring.

Wow this seems to be a really nice place since I am planning to get back on doing cycling. There's really a lot of choices to choose from to appearance durability and color. This past few weeks whenever I go to a mall, I visit sport stores and ask for MTBs maybe I haven't found the one I really like my grip on but I will get there. It gets exciting when buying a mountain bike.

Reactions: amazinmets733
Alfeng, rigid 29er but only single speed

2009 Raleigh XXIX single speed 29er (29inch wheel) mountain bike setup as a fat tire commuter. Frame size is an XL, would probably fit someone between 6'1" and 6'6".

New Maxxis Hookworm 29x2.5 tires with less than 20 miles on them.
New Shimano hydralic disc brakes with less than 20 miles on them.
New Sram PC 830 chain with less than 20 miles on it.
New Specialized grips with less than 20 miles on them.

Custom vinyl wrap over whole bike frame to give this bike a super bright, distinct look that will get you noticed by cars. This was built up to be a big tire commuter that could be fast and comfortable riding through the potholed roads of our city.

Work is now too far to commute by bike

Local pickup, no trades, cash only.

$275

Attachments

• 01616_gacre2sxNCW_600x450.jpg
    01616_gacre2sxNCW_600x450.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15
Alfeng, rigid 29er but only single speed

2009 Raleigh XXIX single speed 29er (29inch wheel) mountain bike setup as a fat tire commuter. Frame size is an XL, would probably fit someone between 6'1" and 6'6".

New Maxxis Hookworm 29x2.5 tires with less than 20 miles on them.
New Shimano hydralic disc brakes with less than 20 miles on them.
New Sram PC 830 chain with less than 20 miles on it.
New Specialized grips with less than 20 miles on them.

Custom vinyl wrap over whole bike frame to give this bike a super bright, distinct look that will get you noticed by cars. This was built up to be a big tire commuter that could be fast and comfortable riding through the potholed roads of our city.

Work is now too far to commute by bike

Local pickup, no trades, cash only.

$275
LIKE WHITE ON RICE ...

I would probably be all over that bike if I were a little taller ...

FYI. I think the top tube on most XL 29er frames may be 62cm, so you may want to figure out the stem length & forward reach of your current bars/etc. BEFORE buying that bike ...

Depending on how your current Road bike is set up, if (for example) you currently have a 110mm stem on your Road bike, then a stubby 60mm may be an appropriate length ... but, possibly a 90mm will work because of the taller head tube!?!

In other words, the frame's top tube is "okay" BUT not necessarily ideal ...

It really depends on how your current bike is set up and your riding style due ot the fore-aft balance of the rider (i.e., YOU) on the bike.​

The earliest Raleigh XXIX Single Speed frames had a derailleur hanger available so they could be converted to a geared bike if the rider wanted to make the change at a later date ...

So, a derailleur hanger may be available for THAT Raleigh XXIX frame.

The OTHER, future option is an internally geared hub ... Rohloff for people with deep pockets OR Shimano as the economical alternative ... I think that one of the Shimano NEXUS hubs is available which uses a disc brake ...​
YOU may end up deciding that you don't need more than one gear .... with a Single Speed, it's always just a matter of figuring out what compromise you want to make!

With a Single Speed, I think slightly lower gearing is better for unpaved surfaces with inclines ... and, slightly higher gearing is "okay" for paved & level surfaces -- you'll have to figure out what works best for you.