Seeking Advice for issues arising from Morton's Neuroma

jerr-man

Dec 23, 2010
My main issue is I have Morton's Neuroma on my left foot that causes hot spots and eventually pain after riding more than 20 - 30 miles or so (my pain-free mileage may vary). I have had physical therapy and cortisone injections with limited success. I am currently using a combination of holistic anti-inflammatory tablets and creams that appear to have made the pain slightly more bearable.

"Morton's neuroma is a painful condition that affects the ball of your foot, most commonly the area between your third and fourth toes. Morton's neuroma may feel as if you are standing on a pebble in your shoe or on a fold in your sock. Morton's neuroma involves a thickening of the tissue around one of the nerves leading to your toes. In some cases, Morton's neuroma causes a sharp, burning pain in the ball of your foot. Your toes also may sting, burn or feel numb. Morton's neuroma may occur in response to irritation, injury or pressure. Common treatments for Morton's neuroma include changing footwear or using arch supports. Sometimes corticosteroid injections or surgery may be necessary."
One solution I found to ease the pain/pressure was to add varus wedges into the shoe (under the insole). This has helped reduce the pressure on the painful area, but not completely. One observation I have made relatively recently is that my foot prefers a bit more room in the toe box (so I can wiggle my toes) and reduce any excess pressure on the forefoot area that hurts.

Now that my shoes have a few thousand miles on them and are starting to show some signs of wear, I am looking for advice on my next shoe from the user community. I am currently riding on Crank Brothers (Quattro TI) Road Pedals and Specialized BG Pro Carbon Shoes.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? What have you done to reduce the discomfort? What shoes are you using? Pedals? Are custom shoes/foot beds my best solution? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.