Seeking Advice for issues arising from Morton's Neuroma

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jerr-man, May 16, 2011.

1. jerr-man

jerr-man New Member

My main issue is I have Morton's Neuroma on my left foot that causes hot spots and eventually pain after riding more than 20 - 30 miles or so (my pain-free mileage may vary). I have had physical therapy and cortisone injections with limited success. I am currently using a combination of holistic anti-inflammatory tablets and creams that appear to have made the pain slightly more bearable.

One solution I found to ease the pain/pressure was to add varus wedges into the shoe (under the insole). This has helped reduce the pressure on the painful area, but not completely. One observation I have made relatively recently is that my foot prefers a bit more room in the toe box (so I can wiggle my toes) and reduce any excess pressure on the forefoot area that hurts.

Now that my shoes have a few thousand miles on them and are starting to show some signs of wear, I am looking for advice on my next shoe from the user community. I am currently riding on Crank Brothers (Quattro TI) Road Pedals and Specialized BG Pro Carbon Shoes.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? What have you done to reduce the discomfort? What shoes are you using? Pedals? Are custom shoes/foot beds my best solution? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Tags: