Seeking advice for new bike.

travis4736

Apr 22, 2006
I intend on purchasing a new bike within the next couple weeks. Haven't decided between XC or All Mountain, but it's definately going to be full suspension. I'm not into anything extreme or any racing, but I don't like having my options limited. What would be a good suggestion for a XC bike that can handle doing some downhill? Or a good suggestion for an All Mountain bike that is light and efficient enough for some good climbs?

I have currently looked at the Specialized FSR XC PRO, Trek EX 7, Norco FLUID Two, Devinci REMIX Three, Giant REIGN Two, and Giant TRANCE Two. Any here that you wouldn't suggest? Are there any others I should really consider?

only factors to consider are #1 your budget #2 your weight and #3 where you wanna ride.

As i've found out reading all the reviews under the sun only serve to confuse the new bike buyer as the author of the reviews dont state their weight, the lighter riders will say bike A is the shizzle yet big bubba will say bike a is just a pile of shizzle. But i'll say this the more positive reviews u see on a bike is a fair indication of how it goes, check out www.mtbr.com if u havn't already.

REVO

Check out the MkIII comp from ironhorse

travis4736 said:
I intend on purchasing a new bike within the next couple weeks. Haven't decided between XC or All Mountain, but it's definately going to be full suspension. I'm not into anything extreme or any racing, but I don't like having my options limited. What would be a good suggestion for a XC bike that can handle doing some downhill? Or a good suggestion for an All Mountain bike that is light and efficient enough for some good climbs?

I have currently looked at the Specialized FSR XC PRO, Trek EX 7, Norco FLUID Two, Devinci REMIX Three, Giant REIGN Two, and Giant TRANCE Two. Any here that you wouldn't suggest? Are there any others I should really consider?

My personal opinion is in favor of XC style bikes. I prefer that they are lighter and faster. If you already know you want something general, I'd take XC for those reasons. However, I also completely respect those that would disagree because this is simply my personal preference.

Many of the bikes I have been considering are not on www.mtbr.com. I have heard lots of good things about the Giant Reign and like the fell of it, but I think it's 6 inches are a little excessive for what I need. I am looking to spend $1500-2000 CDN on a bike. I am about 180lbs and 6'1". I hate making decsions, especially when there are so many! Why can't there just be a single bike good for everything?!

I like the thought of having all XTR/X.O and FOX compontents all the way around, but obviously in my price range I will not be getting that. Are there specific areas of the bike in which I should be putting more thought and $$ into than others? (ie. drivetrain, braking, suspension, frame...) I guess its going to depend on what I am going to do with the bike, but I just don't know!!! I hate being so indecisive!!!

Thanks REVO and Postie for your input.

Hiya travis, yeah i know the big decision is a bugger to make because you'll think you've made the wrong choice and regret your choice. Fear not, no matter what happens there will always be something else that sparks your interest just after you've bought your fave bike...it's Murphy's law or something like that and it sucks but hey.

Some thing else to consider when making your decision is head angle,term like 'slack' and 'steep' are often thrown about in reviews and the like with no clarification on what it really means. From what i've learned so far 'steeper' angles '68-71 degrees' are for better steering response at low speeds and greater climbing ability, the 'slacker' head angles like '65-68 degree' offer better high speed steering and are much better at going downhill.

To add confusion, seat angles also play a part here too...how?
A steeper seat angle '70 or more degrees' will put more of the riders weight towards the front of the bike (going up anyone) and the slacker angles '70 and less degrees' will put more of the riders weight on the rear (downhill yee haa)

Hope this helps clarify things for ya

by the way doesn't the reign bikes have a lockout on the front and rear shocks??? i not sure

REVO

To add to your decision making woes, how about the Titus Motolite with 5 inches of travel? I am 5'5", weigh 154 lbs. and ride a Titus Racer-X 100 which has seen trails in California and Moab,Ut. and handled them all very well. However, for the stuff in Moab, I would have preferred an extra inch of travel without the excess weight. Hence the Motolite! Test ride one and see what you think. If you are in SoCal, I know that Jones Bicycles 2 in San Marino, and Bicycle John's in Burbank carry the Titus line of bikes. Good luck.

Well, the nearest Titus dealer is about 15-20 hours away. So I don't think I will be heading there to test it out! Thanks though.

I want a Specialized FSR Epic pro...... and then I want to fully customise it. Just haven't got the readies.

My inclination would be to go with the XC bike unless you do a lot of All Mtn that is really going to strain the bike. The speed and weight is something that will be really noticeable.