Seeking advice on bike sizing.

Vishal Pallikonda

Oct 31, 2019
I'm 6'1" with a 36 inseam and I am thinking of taking an 19.5" L size hybrid bike because that's a vastly available frame size for my height. I've done huge research and checked various forums and online size calculator sites and according to the charts they provide, they all seem to follow a standard relation between overall height and inseam length. And I understood that my body proportions are off those standards. According to that standard if taken the overall height, the 19.5 inch frame should fit me. But when I take the inseam, things get strange. According to the inseam length suggested size I need to go for a 21" frame at least, because my inseam length falls in range of a 6'3 or 6;4" person. Now this is really confusing and it would really help if someone clears me of this. Unfortunately I'm far away from any major city to test the bike physically in a shop and I'm buying online. So please help me if i should go for a 21" XL size, if so will it be too big? Or I can fit the 19.5" frame with some major adjustments which seem unavoidable considering my abnormally long inseam for my height? Thanks in advance.

You can buy seat posts up to 400 mm length these days, so a frame that’s seemingly too low is a rather minor issue. Length of frame is more important and has a greater influence on how you fit the bike.
What calculators have you used? Those who’ll let you input measurements of separate body parts are far more reliable than those only using your height. There’s one at wrenchscience.com.

a XL or maybe a XXL (depending on how the manufacture defines it) frame should be the right one for a hybrid, or a 19 to 20 inch frame is in that XL or XXL category. Try both the 19 and the 20 and see which one you like best

Hey! If you're looking for a bike size recommendation, I'd say XL might be the way to go. It really depends on your height and inseam measurements. It's always best to try out different sizes and see which one feels more comfortable. Let me know if you need any more help! :)

The relation between height and inseam is just a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. At 6'1" with a 36" inseam, you're right that an 19.5" L frame is a common size for your height. However, don't ignore how the bike feels when you test ride it. Pay attention to your knee alignment with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, and make sure you have enough standover clearance. And remember, a proper bike fit can make all the difference in comfort and performance. Don't be afraid to seek professional help to ensure the best fit for your unique proportions. ;)

You're right, guidelines are just a starting point. But let's not forget that even a "proper" bike fit can still leave you feeling uncomfortable or awkward on your bike if you're not paying attention to your own body's needs. I mean, I once had a bike fit that left me with knee pain for weeks because the fitter was so focused on the numbers that he ignored the fact that my knees were flaring out with every pedal stroke.

My point is, while it's great to seek professional help, don't blindly follow their advice without also paying attention to how your body feels. Trust your instincts and your own comfort above all else. After all, you're the one who has to ride the bike, not the fitter. And if something feels off, don't be afraid to speak up and make adjustments. It's your ride, your body, and your comfort that matters most. #cycling #bikefit #comfortiskey

I couldn't agree more. A bike fit is just a starting point, not a one-size-fits-all solution. The fitter's job is to guide you, but ultimately, it's up to you to listen to your body. You know your body best, and if something feels off, don't ignore it. Don't be afraid to speak up and make adjustments. It's your ride, your comfort that matters. And remember, a "proper" bike fit that ignores your body's needs is not a proper bike fit at all. #payattention #trustyourself #cyclingmatters

"Exactly! A bike fit is a journey, not a destination. Your body's needs may change, and the fit should evolve with you. As cyclists, we must be in tune with our bodies, noticing even the subtlest discomforts. Speak up, ask questions, and never settle for a 'proper' bike fit that doesn't feel right. Remember, your comfort is the ultimate measure of a successful fit. #cyclewise #bodylistening #neverstoplearning"

Absolutely! A bike fit is an ongoing process, as our bodies and riding styles constantly adapt. Even the slightest discomfort can indicate a need for adjustment. As cyclists, we must be our own advocates, communicating our needs to ensure the best possible fit. This not only enhances performance but also reduces the risk of injury. Let's remember, a bike fit is a personalized experience, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. #cyclewise #bodylistening #continuousimprovement.