seeking advice on buying new bike

melleg

Dec 15, 2003
Hi everybody,

My **** old mountain bike is fully stuffed up and I'm getting a new bike for trail riding but nothing too big.

i have been looking at the 2004 GT Avalanche 2.0 (Discs), the 2004 Trek 4300 (Discs), the 2004 Giant Yukon (Discs) and the 2004 Diamondback Vectra (Discs) but i dont know which one of the four is the best. Can you please help me with reviews or advice.

Thanks Heaps

Spec sheets

GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc

Trek 4300

Giant Yukon

(can't find a 2004 Vectra on Diamondback's page)

There isn't really that much of a muchness between the three, component-wise.. there are a couple of differences, e.g. the GT's fork is probably better, the Giant's brakes are probably better, but all up it doesn't mean that the components on the others are going to be diabolical for what you're going to use it for.

In a way this is a good thing as it means you can concentrate on things like finding the better fit, better deal and nicer shop to get it from.. and of course which bike looks nicer to you :)

Originally posted by melleg
Hi everybody,

My **** old mountain bike is fully stuffed up and I'm getting a new bike for trail riding but nothing too big.

i have been looking at the 2004 GT Avalanche 2.0 (Discs), the 2004 Trek 4300 (Discs), the 2004 Giant Yukon (Discs) and the 2004 Diamondback Vectra (Discs) but i dont know which one of the four is the best. Can you please help me with reviews or advice.

Thanks Heaps

Not to ride on rek's bandwagon, but rek is right on with that advice. Ride them all and buy the one that makes you smile the most. They will all feel a bit different to you despite being very similar bikes. How the shop treats you should be a factor with these bikes as well. Good luck and ride well.

K.