Seeking Advice - Second Hand Avanti Corsa Elite

Tricky Dickie

Jul 31, 2007
Hi Everyone

First post from a mountain biker looking to get into road cycling.

I'm looking for some advice on a road bike purchase. My LBS has an Avanti Corsa Elite 06 model that one of the mechanics has been using for the last 12 months. He says he has done about 600k's. The bike retailed for about AU$3800 and they are offering it to me for $2k. It has some minor scuffing on the rear derailleur and right brake lever. What I want to know is: is it a good bike at a good price?

The specs are something like:
06 Avanti Corsa Elite
* Featherweight Columbus Airplane Tubing with Carbonio Seat & Chain Stays
* Columbus Carve Monocoque Carbon Fork
* Full Shimano 20 speed Ultegra Groupset for race shifting
* Shimano R600 Wheel Set for lightweight performance
* Lightweight Oval R500 Handlebar & Stem for race conditions

Comes with Look Keo pedals

Any help appreciated

Although secondhand for that money I'd be making sure I had a written guarantee from the shop on the frame against cracks for at least a couple of years, if they word it a 'display bike' they should be able to fudge you an original warranty.

Saw in my LBS a 06 GIANT TCR C2 RRP$3000, sale price $2000 new unused full carbon. In essence I think you can do better.

Thanks guys

I had a look at some of the Giants and there are definitely some good specials, although the best I've seen that bike is $2300 (can i ask what your LBS is?).

I guess the question becomes is a new TCR (which from what I have seen is about the best you can do for around that price, although it doesn't come with pedals) better than a used Corsa Elite? Was the sticker price of the Elite justified being $800 more?

Tricky Dickie said:
Thanks guys

I had a look at some of the Giants and there are definitely some good specials, although the best I've seen that bike is $2300 (can i ask what your LBS is?). QUOTE]

I was soooo tempted myself, its @ Fleets Freo. Its a one of in a MediumLarge. Damn I hate being a procrastinator:(