Seeking beach-cruiser, rackable for child-seat

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Grossma, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. My wife is looking for a nice beach and town-cruiser to ride a few blocks to the park or down to the
    beach, maybe ride along the beach bike-path for under an hour, once a week or so.

    She needs a bike that can take a rack to hold a child-carrier for our 35-lb 3-year-old.

    She has asked for a one-speed, but I talked her into considering a twist-shifter also.

    She insists on a step-through ("girl's") frame, which she feels is necessary to get on and off the
    bike while she has a kid on the back.

    At 4 or 5 bike stores, I haven't been able to find a new retro-bike with the fittings for a rack.

    I'm considering giving up on the pink-bike thing and just getting her a low-end Specialized which at
    least will be solidly built and ready for a rack.

    There's also a used-only-bike store where I once bought a nice pink mostly-restored classic girl's
    Schwinn for her for 150 bucks but the cable-lock was broken and the bike stolen a couple years later
    at Venice beach (so it goes at the beach). I could buy another like that, but my concern there is
    the durability of an older bike since she's carrying our kid on it, and also the durability of
    mounting a rack using "alternate" methods of attaching it (I think to the rear axle ?).

    Suggestions and opinions welcome.

    Tags:

  2. Richard Grossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My wife is looking for a nice beach and town-cruiser to ride a few blocks to the park or down to
    > the beach, maybe ride along the beach bike-path for under an hour, once a week or so.
    >
    > She needs a bike that can take a rack to hold a child-carrier for our 35-lb 3-year-old.
    >
    > [snip]

    There are child seats that don't use a rack, but clamp onto the bike's stays directly. I had one -
    Graco brand, I think - that was rated up to 20 Kg/44 lbs.

  3. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    We sell a new woman's (step-through) single speed called the "Menotmoy High Tide" for $189. It's set
    up with 25 inch monkey handlebars and a banana seat but we can swap cruiser handlebars and saddle at
    no charge.

    Pictures on this page:

    http://oldroads.com/rs_hightide.html

    Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

    >My wife is looking for a nice beach and town-cruiser to ride a few blocks to the park or down to
    >the beach, maybe ride along the beach bike-path for under an hour, once a week or so.
    >
    >She needs a bike that can take a rack to hold a child-carrier for our 35-lb 3-year-old.
    >
    >She has asked for a one-speed, but I talked her into considering a twist-shifter also.
    >
    >She insists on a step-through ("girl's") frame, which she feels is necessary to get on and off the
    >bike while she has a kid on the back.
    >
    >At 4 or 5 bike stores, I haven't been able to find a new retro-bike with the fittings for a rack.
    >
    >I'm considering giving up on the pink-bike thing and just getting her a low-end Specialized which
    >at least will be solidly built and ready for a rack.
    >
    >There's also a used-only-bike store where I once bought a nice pink mostly-restored classic
    >girl's Schwinn for her for 150 bucks but the cable-lock was broken and the bike stolen a couple
    >years later at Venice beach (so it goes at the beach). I could buy another like that, but my
    >concern there is the durability of an older bike since she's carrying our kid on it, and also
    >the durability of mounting a rack using "alternate" methods of attaching it (I think to the
    >rear axle ?).
    >
    >Suggestions and opinions welcome.

  4. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    Richard Grossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My wife is looking for a nice beach and town-cruiser to ride a few blocks to the park or down to
    > the beach, maybe ride along the beach bike-path for under an hour, once a week or so.
    >
    > She needs a bike that can take a rack to hold a child-carrier for our 35-lb 3-year-old.
    >
    > She has asked for a one-speed, but I talked her into considering a twist-shifter also.
    >
    > She insists on a step-through ("girl's") frame, which she feels is necessary to get on and off the
    > bike while she has a kid on the back.

    I suggest a mixte frame Raleigh (or other brand). Look at a thriftstore for one. Be patient, but I
    bet you can find one in decent condition with a three speed hub. They are strong bikes, usually with
    eyelets for racks, are easy to mount and would be perfect for the task at hand.

    I currently use an old Raleigh for transporting my 2.5 year-old son on the back. It is hard to swing
    the leg over the top tube, so I think she has a valid point about the "girl's bike" being a better
    alternative.

    Go to Goodwill or other thrift store every day for a year, you will end up with everything you need
    and a whole load of bargains that you don't need but that were too good to pass up.

    --Keven.

  5. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Richard Grossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My wife is looking for a nice beach and town-cruiser to ride a few blocks to the park or down to
    > the beach, maybe ride along the beach bike-path for under an hour, once a week or so.
    >
    > She needs a bike that can take a rack to hold a child-carrier for our 35-lb 3-year-old.
    >
    > She has asked for a one-speed, but I talked her into considering a twist-shifter also.
    >
    > She insists on a step-through ("girl's") frame, which she feels is necessary to get on and off the
    > bike while she has a kid on the back.
    >
    > At 4 or 5 bike stores, I haven't been able to find a new retro-bike with the fittings for a rack.
    >
    > I'm considering giving up on the pink-bike thing and just getting her a low-end Specialized which
    > at least will be solidly built and ready for a rack.

    Consider the Giant Simple series. Comes in pink too.

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8828&range=127&-
    model=10587