Seeking comparison of Garmin Forerunner 305 vs Edge 305

Joseph

Guest
Hi, I'm looking for a comparison between the Garmin Forerunner 305 vs the
Edge 305.

First and primary evident difference: the Forerunner is a wrist-worn device
while the Edge is about twice as long and mounts on the bike. Beyond that
though, are these the same device feature for feature? Does the Edge provide
anything the Forerunner doesn't and/or vice versa?

Thanks for any advice which you can provide!

- Joseph Geretz -

"Joseph" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> First and primary evident difference: the Forerunner is a wrist-worn
> device while the Edge is about twice as long and mounts on the bike.
> Beyond that though, are these the same device feature for feature? Does
> the Edge provide anything the Forerunner doesn't and/or vice versa?

Edge has a barometric altimeter (much more accurate for cumulative elevation
gain) and a larger screen (to display more stuff at the same time). Not sure
if there any other differences.

Joseph wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for a comparison between the Garmin Forerunner 305 vs the
> Edge 305.
>
> First and primary evident difference: the Forerunner is a wrist-worn
> device while the Edge is about twice as long and mounts on the bike.
> Beyond that though, are these the same device feature for feature? Does
> the Edge provide anything the Forerunner doesn't and/or vice versa?
>
> Thanks for any advice which you can provide!
>
> - Joseph Geretz -

I use an Edge 305 (have a little over 13,000 miles on it so far) and my wife
uses a Forerunner 305. The primary difference is in the display with the
Edge more suitable for biking. The Forerunner is more suitable for running
than the Edge is and also has a foot pod as an available accessory to track
walking/running when no gps signal is available. The Forerunner also
requires a cradle unit to download to your desktop computer and to charge.
The Edge connects directly with a usb cable. This makes the Edge easier to
recharge from an external power supply than the Forerunner is. There have
been some issues with corrosion of the electrical contacts were the
Forerunner connects with the cradle.

The software in the Forerunner is more running oriented than the Edge
software so I would advise that if you intent to use the unit mainly off
the bike that you get a Forerunner. If your primary intended use is on the
bike, then the edge is a better choice.

Thanks Sally and Joe for your feedback.

My use will be 99% cycling (the only time I take it on foot is with an
extremely steep hill ;-) so it sounds like the Edge is the model for me.

Thanks!

- Joseph Geretz -

news:[email protected]...

On May 20, 6:33 pm, "Joseph" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Sally and Joe for your feedback.
>
> My use will be 99% cycling (the only time I take it on foot is with an
> extremely steep hill ;-) so it sounds like the Edge is the model for me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Joseph Geretz -

The first thing you do ... before you even put it on the bike is to
update the firmware.
This will greatly extend the battery life.
I picked up an Edge 305 with cadence and heart rate for $289 off of
chumbo.com last year.
Look around, you might find a bargain somewhere.

-bdbafh

> "joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Joseph wrote:

> >> Hi, I'm looking for a comparison between the Garmin Forerunner 305 vs the
> >> Edge 305.

> >> First and primary evident difference: the Forerunner is a wrist-worn
> >> device while the Edge is about twice as long and mounts on the bike.
> >> Beyond that though, are these the same device feature for feature? Does
> >> the Edge provide anything the Forerunner doesn't and/or vice versa?

> >> Thanks for any advice which you can provide!

> >> - Joseph Geretz -

> > I use an Edge 305 (have a little over 13,000 miles on it so far) and my
> > wife
> > uses a Forerunner 305. The primary difference is in the display with the
> > Edge more suitable for biking. The Forerunner is more suitable for
> > running
> > than the Edge is and also has a foot pod as an available accessory to
> > track
> > walking/running when no gps signal is available. The Forerunner also
> > requires a cradle unit to download to your desktop computer and to charge.
> > The Edge connects directly with a usb cable. This makes the Edge easier
> > recharge from an external power supply than the Forerunner is. There have
> > been some issues with corrosion of the electrical contacts were the
> > Forerunner connects with the cradle.

> > The software in the Forerunner is more running oriented than the Edge
> > software so I would advise that if you intent to use the unit mainly off
> > the bike that you get a Forerunner. If your primary intended use is on
> > the
> > bike, then the edge is a better choice.

Thanks!

I was looking at this for $277 on Amazon but I see this for $266 on chumbo.
Never heard of chumbo before. Thanks for the tip!

- Joe Geretz -

news:[email protected]...

On May 20, 6:04 pm, bdbafh <[email protected]> wrote:

> The first thing you do ... before you even put it on the bike is to
> update the firmware.
> This will greatly extend the battery life.
> I picked up an Edge 305 with cadence and heart rate for $289 off of
> chumbo.com last year.
> Look around, you might find a bargain somewhere.
>
> -bdbafh

Even after the firmware update, the battery usually lasts about 8
hours, not the advertised 12 hours. Some riders needing more battery
time have bought a battery powered cell phone charger and use it for
40+ hours. Even with reduce tracking points, it fills up after about
4 days, so you will need to download the tracks about twice a week
with a computer with software. (as reported by other users on
http://bikejournal.com ).