Seeking Crankset Advice

jrobart

Dec 27, 2007
I'm in the market for a compact crank. Currently run full DA. Thinking about the Stronglight Pulsion ActivLink. Anyone with experience with that crank or suggestions for others to consider? Thanks.

if you are running full DA, why not consider the R700 shimano's?

personally i've got a set of k-force compacts, having used R700's theres no significant performance difference. the FSA rings for the k-force seem a bit more easily sourced, though the shimano's are easier to service.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
if you are running full DA, why not consider the R700 shimano's?

personally i've got a set of k-force compacts, having used R700's theres no significant performance difference. the FSA rings for the k-force seem a bit more easily sourced, though the shimano's are easier to service.

--brett
I"ve thought about it, but have heard that while it's close, it's just not up to the same standard as the DA (stiffness, weight, etc.). I also am recovering from hip replacement and I'm now measuring for a 175 crank (if not more) on my left leg and a 170 on my right (the replacement side). Just learned that the Stronglight Fission actually has inserts that will allow me to have one side at 170 and the other at 175. I may be going that route. They're not cheap ($700+), but may be worth it in my case.

jrobart said:
I"ve thought about it, but have heard that while it's close, it's just not up to the same standard as the DA (stiffness, weight, etc.). I also am recovering from hip replacement and I'm now measuring for a 175 crank (if not more) on my left leg and a 170 on my right (the replacement side). Just learned that the Stronglight Fission actually has inserts that will allow me to have one side at 170 and the other at 175. I may be going that route. They're not cheap ($700+), but may be worth it in my case.

Well, if crankarm stiffness is important to you, then you'll want the Ultegra crank instead of the Dura Ace since the Ultegra has tested stiffer than the DA. As a bonus, the Ultegra crank is marginally less ugly.

I wouldn't get too hung up on crank stiffness, most cranks, today, are sufficiently stiff. No one has actually shown what amount of stiffness for anything is needed or what performance gains are inherent--if any--for a given level of stiffness.

I have seen quite a few bikes here mounted full DA with Campagnolo Record UT cranks.

Consider that with a KMC gold chain and you are set.

if you want to get the stronglights, by all means go ahead, i'm sure they are very nice though definitely an expensive item. i'll guarantee though you notice zero difference in performance to the r700's or any other decent spec unit out there.

i've raced heavily on a decent number of common cranks and under race conditions they all basically perform exactly the same. ultimately there may be a few grams here and there but it's barely worth even thinking about in the grand scheme of things.

in regards to leg discrepencies, i don't have any direct experience, but virtually all of the literature i've seen says shims not different crank arm lengths is the way to go. it would be worth you asking the docs at cyclingnews.com for a bit of advice on this before splashing $700 on a set of cranks.

--brett

jrobart said:
I also am recovering from hip replacement and I'm now measuring for a 175 crank (if not more) on my left leg and a 170 on my right (the replacement side).

What length are the DA cranks? Could you get the shimano cranks, but use your existing DA left arm?

Your medical team should be shoot for doing a hip replacement that has resulted in significant leg length issues.

The unbalance in your muscular system is going to cause on going issues. These issues aren't a big issue for the average punter who just walks around, just make one shoe a bit thicker soled (but this means you need custom shoes for the rest of your life).

On a bike however you are going to be delivering considerably different amount of power and force between your longer and shorter leg. This means that you hips and back will have different loads to deal with side to side. As a result of this you will have different leavels of muscle build up, and quite likely will rotate you hips etc to help compensate and brace your mid section.

If you are going to continue riding I would strongly suggest going to a VERY good medical bike fitter before just having two different length cranks. Cyclingnews.com would likely jump all over your story and put it in thier column. Another place to look that I know of is Andy Pruitt (spelling??) in Boulder (assuming you are US based).

I'd then quizz your medical team as to why your legs are so different in length now.

I'd also consider getting legal advice. I wouldn't accept such a poor result from a common surgery.

Thanks for all of the advice. You've all definitely given me some things to think about. As for the difference in leg length, I failed to mention that I had a discrepancy prior to the surgey (used a 2.5mm shim) and am a bit more now. I still will check what the guys at cycling news have to say.

Glad to hear that I could get away with the ultegra and spend alot less money!

Powerful Pete said:
I have seen quite a few bikes here mounted full DA with Campagnolo Record UT cranks.

Consider that with a KMC gold chain and you are set.
I own a 2006 Campy Chorus alloy crank and love it. I'm switching to Force next year but am keeping my Campy crank because the bottom bracket/bearings will spin forever. I was talking to the LBS mechanic and he told me the XTR cranks/BB will spin about 2 rotations but the Campy cranks are very nice and will spin much longer because of the design. No need for ceramic bearings in those suckers haha.

Hi,

I ended up going the other way. I had a stronlight z light compact which I bought as it was the only compact crank I could find at 180 mm length. Although this is not the same crank you are looking at, It was flexy (you could watch the chain move side to side between front derailleur as you climbed) and the BB isus setup is nothing like as good as Shimano fire and forget in my opinion. Lastly the gear change is not as good as shimano.

If shimano did a 180 compact I would get it, however I now have DA on my bikes becuase it looks so sweet IMO. I also read Ultegra may be stiffer, but I'm not sure if that is for the current iteration....