Seeking energy bar recipe using 5 or fewer natural ingredients

Hi all,

I'm looking to make my own energy bars
once a week and store them in the fridge
to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
recipe to make a simple tasty bar.

A few side comments:

I read once that a banana coated with
peanut butter is dietarily the same as
the typical energy bar. Too bad that
I'm allergic to bananas.

Also, in the past while perusing health
food stores I've noticed these "Energee
Cube" things in the bulk section that seem
to have few ingredients. It's been a while
since I've looked for them. I recall
they were pricey, around $1 per cube.

Lastly, I'm under the impression that
the large number of ingredients, or
expensive ingredients like figs, that
most home-made recipes require is the
reason why more people don't make
energy bars. I've certainly noticed
people griping anyway. I wish
a novel solution would emerge.

Thanks for any help.

On Nov 10, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.
>
> A few side comments:
>
> I read once that a banana coated with
> peanut butter is dietarily the same as
> the typical energy bar. Too bad that
> I'm allergic to bananas.
>
> Also, in the past while perusing health
> food stores I've noticed these "Energee
> Cube" things in the bulk section that seem
> to have few ingredients. It's been a while
> since I've looked for them. I recall
> they were pricey, around $1 per cube.
>
> Lastly, I'm under the impression that
> the large number of ingredients, or
> expensive ingredients like figs, that
> most home-made recipes require is the
> reason why more people don't make
> energy bars. I've certainly noticed
> people griping anyway. I wish
> a novel solution would emerge.
>
> Thanks for any help.

i have tried a simple one
get some granola, mixed nuts and hold it all together with honey. i
like to mix the honey with some protein poweder and then just take it
to the freezer. simple, healthy and cheap
keep riding
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

On Nov 10, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.
>
> A few side comments:
>
> I read once that a banana coated with
> peanut butter is dietarily the same as
> the typical energy bar. Too bad that
> I'm allergic to bananas.
>
> Also, in the past while perusing health
> food stores I've noticed these "Energee
> Cube" things in the bulk section that seem
> to have few ingredients. It's been a while
> since I've looked for them. I recall
> they were pricey, around $1 per cube.
>
> Lastly, I'm under the impression that
> the large number of ingredients, or
> expensive ingredients like figs, that
> most home-made recipes require is the
> reason why more people don't make
> energy bars. I've certainly noticed
> people griping anyway. I wish
> a novel solution would emerge.
>
> Thanks for any help.

i have tried a simple one
get some granola, mixed nuts and hold it all together with honey. i
like to mix the honey with some protein poweder and then just take it
to the freezer. simple, healthy and cheap
keep riding
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

On Nov 10, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.
>
> A few side comments:
>
> I read once that a banana coated with
> peanut butter is dietarily the same as
> the typical energy bar. Too bad that
> I'm allergic to bananas.
>
> Also, in the past while perusing health
> food stores I've noticed these "Energee
> Cube" things in the bulk section that seem
> to have few ingredients. It's been a while
> since I've looked for them. I recall
> they were pricey, around $1 per cube.
>
> Lastly, I'm under the impression that
> the large number of ingredients, or
> expensive ingredients like figs, that
> most home-made recipes require is the
> reason why more people don't make
> energy bars. I've certainly noticed
> people griping anyway. I wish
> a novel solution would emerge.
>
> Thanks for any help.

i have tried a simple one
get some granola, mixed nuts and hold it all together with honey. i
like to mix the honey with some protein poweder and then just take it
to the freezer. simple, healthy and cheap
keep riding
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.

Date-nut loaf works for me. Recipes for it
abound online, as well as in in cookbooks.
Same with brownies, but date-nut squares
hold themselves together better and are
somewhat squishable, while brownies can
crumble in your hand. Both confections
taste way better than any ol' power bar
(IMO.)

There are a number of homemade power bar
recipes in the rec.bicycles.misc FAQ.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

[email protected] writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.

Date-nut loaf works for me. Recipes for it
abound online, as well as in in cookbooks.
Same with brownies, but date-nut squares
hold themselves together better and are
somewhat squishable, while brownies can
crumble in your hand. Both confections
taste way better than any ol' power bar
(IMO.)

There are a number of homemade power bar
recipes in the rec.bicycles.misc FAQ.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> once a week and store them in the fridge
> to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> recipe to make a simple tasty bar.

Google: energy bar recipes

and you'll find, among other things, this page:

http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/nutrition/energy-bars/printer-bar-list.shtml

which seems to have quite a few tasty-sounding things to try making.
Also:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,energy_bar,FF.html

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

On Nov 10, 1:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 10, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Hi all,

> > I'm looking to make my own energy bars
> > once a week and store them in the fridge
> > to use as needed. I want to make inexpensive
> > bars using basic ingredients -- not factory-made
> > stuff like protein powder and fructose syrup.
> > I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
> > recipe to make a simple tasty bar.

> i have tried a simple one
> get some granola, mixed nuts and hold it all together with honey. i
> like to mix the honey with some protein poweder and then just take it
> to the freezer. simple, healthy and cheap
> keep riding

Similar to this, I make Rice Crispy squares but instead of Rice Crispy
cereal I use Kellog's Smart Start. It's Kellogs answer to Post Total,
a multivitiman in the form of a cereal. Unlike Total cereal, this
stuff is sweeter, with more calories and carbs. Compared to a Cliff
Bar (250 calories, 45 grams of carbs, 21 of it sugar) one cup has 200
calories, 43 grams of carbs, 14 of it sugar. Plus what is added by
the marshmellows.

Cliff Bars are $1 a pop on sale. A box of Smart Start cereal (ten
cups) is $5 any day and $3 on sale.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 11, 11:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Land ho wrote:
>>
>> Bet you're a ho on water, too.

> Make him an offer, a cheap one, and he'll "do ya".

Ooh, scathing commentary from an anonymous snipe. How shall I recover?!?
LOL

Jam (jelly) sandwiches are a helluva lot cheaper than energy bars made
from the same ingredients. Up the protein by throwing in peanut
butter. Don't mind the fat - you'll burn it off.

On Nov 12, 4:23 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Jam (jelly) sandwiches are a helluva lot cheaper than energy bars made
> from the same ingredients. Up the protein by throwing in peanut
> butter. Don't mind the fat - you'll burn it off.

Peanut butter is the most disgusting food on the face of the earth.
I'd rather lick balls (Knebel just got a hardon) than eat that ****.
They ALLOW rat hairs, rat feces, mouse hairs, mouse feces etc. in it.
'Nuff said?

On Nov 12, 7:28 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 12, 4:23 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Jam (jelly) sandwiches are a helluva lot cheaper than energy bars made
> > from the same ingredients. Up the protein by throwing in peanut
> > butter. Don't mind the fat - you'll burn it off.

> Peanut butter is the most disgusting food on the face of the earth.
> I'd rather lick balls (Knebel just got a hardon) than eat that ****.
> They ALLOW rat hairs, rat feces, mouse hairs, mouse feces etc. in it.
> 'Nuff said?

They allow limited quantities of bug parts, hair and feces in all
food. You'd
better stop eating.

Cindy Hamilton

On Nov 12, 9:11 am, Cindy Hamilton <[email protected]>
wrote:
> They allow limited quantities of bug parts, hair and feces in all
> food. You'd
> better stop eating.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

So you are ok with eating LIMITED amounts of rat feces and mouse
hairs? Hmm...

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Nov 12, 7:28 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 4:23 am, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Jam (jelly) sandwiches are a helluva lot cheaper than energy bars made
>>> from the same ingredients. Up the protein by throwing in peanut
>>> butter. Don't mind the fat - you'll burn it off.

>> Peanut butter is the most disgusting food on the face of the earth.
>> I'd rather lick balls (Knebel just got a hardon) than eat that ****.
>> They ALLOW rat hairs, rat feces, mouse hairs, mouse feces etc. in it.
>> 'Nuff said?

> They allow limited quantities of bug parts, hair and feces in all
> food. You'd
> better stop eating.

Cyclists can occasionally get bonus protein by mouth breathing.

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.

On Nov 12, 9:13 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 12, 9:11 am, Cindy Hamilton <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > They allow limited quantities of bug parts, hair and feces in all
> > food. You'd
> > better stop eating.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> So you are ok with eating LIMITED amounts of rat feces and mouse
> hairs? Hmm...

Well, I've been doing it all my life. What do you think a flour mill
looks
like, anyway--a clean room?

This reminds me of someone who wrote a letter to the editor
complaining
about the fact that children's toys are allowed to have some amount of
lead in them. I wondered if she know what the lead standard for
drinking
water is.

Cindy Hamilton