Seeking recipe/method for good Italian meatballs

Jean B. wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:

> Well, that's how she did it--and it was great. Maybe I'll get
> around to trying the recipe again before you do. As I recall, the
> meatballs were unusually soft, perhaps because of the additional
> eggs!

No problem. I'm not Italian, whatdaI know? ;-) It's been saved and I'll
give it a shot. As my Dad used to say, "don't knock it until you've
tried it."

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

"Mark D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Meatballs Part Deux:
> Well, I thought some about Meatballs, and using onion in the mix. While
> sure you can use whatever you like, and whatever taste right to you.
>
> As for milk, I'm still wondering what the milk supposed to do? Does it
> magically "convert" Beef into Veal?.

Well, I don't think it can make beef younger or anything. (laugh) But if
you've ever had Italian meatballs out somewhere, I betcha you have had
them made with some milk to soak the breadcrumbs.

> Things like milk are somthing I myself would never wish to add to my
> Pasta Sauce/Meatballs.

Actually, I took a small informal poll and ... sorry to say, soaking the
breadcrumbs in water brought a universal EWWW. No offense meant.

I would say Don't knock it till you tried it, but I know you don't want
to.

> Another item some people seem to get carried away with in a Tomato Pasta
> Sauce, is Sugar.
> Just a pinch too much ruins a Sauce.

My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving. That'll probably
flip you out, too.

> I can remember an old adage/rule my Grandmother always used to say.
> Garlic in a Meat Sauce/Gravy, Onions in a Fish Sauce/Gravy.

I say garlic in anything. I love garlic. Actually, I had a major league
garlic weekend, I don't think I smell, but maybe I do. Saturday, went
out to lunch, someone ordered ?Australian green mussels in this garlic
sauce, it was out of this world. Why they don't serve it with bread, I
don't know. I sipped the stuff with empty mussel shells until I finally
asked for a spoon.

Yup, bad garlic habit.

Yesterday, well there was this game on? Guacamole with a very
pronounced garlic flavor. What can I say.

> Anyone remember Paulie Cicero in Good Fellas telling is buddy in prison
> not to add too many Onions to the Sauce? There's a reason for this.
>
> As far as using Bread Crumbs (Or even worse, Saltine Crackers) in
> Meatballs, (or Meatloaf for that matter) I think this is what gives
> Meatballs that gritty, rock hard, dry texture to them, that will make
> your Meatball's consistency like that of a Golf Ball. (Fore!!) This is
> probably what many restaurants do, to cut corners, as it's a whole lot
> easier to use.

Oh, my meatballs are most assuredly NOT rock hard. I don't know
where you grew up that people manage to make meatballs and meatloaf
hard, but they're doing something wrong. Seriously wrong. I grew up
with lots of Italians who knew from a meatball.

> Onions in Mealoaf, yes! And I also like in Meatloaf instead of
> resorting to horrible Saltine Crackers, grated potato instead. Makes
> for a much more juicy, and tender Meatloaf.

Huh, I'll consider it.

nancy (hard meatballs, indeed)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:12:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
>of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving.

My mom's sauce recipe included finely diced carrots. Nothing to remove.
Harry's sauce also includes carrots, ground up in a food processor.

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:12:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>My ex mil would add a carrot to the sauce while it was cooking in place
>>of the sugar. Of course she picked it out before serving.

> My mom's sauce recipe included finely diced carrots. Nothing to remove.
> Harry's sauce also includes carrots, ground up in a food processor.

Sure, that's okay with me, I think. Does anyone know, is the sugar (of
any source) to neutralize the acidity or what? I forget the reasoning or
purpose of it.

nancy