seeking recumbent

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Hi Group, I'm looking for a recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150 mile
    race on it in early August. I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last year and
    almost died. Everything was falling asleep and I was in agony. My question: I presently have about
    $400 dollars to spend. Is it possible to find a recumbent that will meet my needs for this price.
    Would it be advisable to go with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel base, since I've
    never ridden a recumbent. Thanks, Robert

    Tags:

  2. I'm too tired to be critical here...but RU kidding? U want to get a SWB (new) for under $400.00 and
    U have NEVER ridden a bent and U figure a SWB would be the ideal bent to ride for the 1st
    time....then use it in a 150 mile Race.

    Get a CLWB, used for below $400.00 and once U master the CLWB...then look into a SWB. IF U wanna
    get massive Leg muscles...buy a used ReBike, they are sooo heavy you'll get those big leg muscles
    real fast.
    "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group, I'm looking for a recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150
    > mile race on it in early August. I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last
    > year and almost died. Everything was falling asleep and I was in agony. My question: I presently
    > have about $400 dollars to spend. Is it possible to find a recumbent that will meet my needs for
    > this price. Would it be advisable to go with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel
    > base, since I've never ridden a recumbent. Thanks, Robert

  3. "Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
    > I'm too tired to be critical here...but RU kidding? U want to get a SWB (new) for under $400.00
    > and U have NEVER ridden a bent and U figure a SWB would be the ideal bent to ride for the 1st
    > time....then use it in a 150 mile Race.

    Buying a SWB as your first bent is not really a problem. I started out on a quasilow. Getting one
    for 400 dollars might be tho. And I suggest some months getting used to it before doing 150 miles.

    Good luck Mikael

  4. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    [email protected] (Robert) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Group, I'm looking for a recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150
    > mile race on it in early August. I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last
    > year and almost died. Everything was falling asleep and I was in agony. My question: I presently
    > have about $400 dollars to spend. Is it possible to find a recumbent that will meet my needs for
    > this price. Would it be advisable to go with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel
    > base, since I've never ridden a recumbent. Thanks, Robert

    Well although it was not a SWB, a friend of mine did find a used Tour Easy a couple of years ago
    with a small Zipper fairing for $350.00. It must have been at least 10-12 years old but rode great
    and is pretty fast.

    The deals are out there if you look hard enough.

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  5. Why don't you sell the beautiful bike, and get a beautiful and efficient recumbent? After all, your
    upright will most likely gather dust in the shack after you get the real bike ;-) FWIW that's what
    happened to mine last year.

    I did a 180miles ride in July after finishing my SWB Short Wheel Base in February. I had about
    1200miles on the clock by July, so it can be done.

    And another advise - try as many recumbents as you can, before buying.

    Good luck with the project!

    "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group, I'm looking for a recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150
    > mile race on it in early August. I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last
    > year and almost died. Everything was falling asleep and I was in agony. My question: I presently
    > have about $400 dollars to spend. Is it possible to find a recumbent that will meet my needs for
    > this price. Would it be advisable to go with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel
    > base, since I've never ridden a recumbent. Thanks, Robert

  6. Daybiker

    Daybiker Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Group, I'm looking for a recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150
    > > mile race on it in early August. I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last
    > > year and almost died. Everything was falling asleep and I was in agony.
    >
    > Ok, is it a *race*, or just a *tour*? Do you expect to be competitive, or just finish the ride?
    >
    > > My question: I presently have about $400 dollars to spend. Is it possible to find a recumbent
    > > that will meet my needs for this price.
    >
    > Honest opinion? Multiply your budget by 3x, and you're getting close.
    >
    > > Would it be advisable to go with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel base, since
    > > I've never ridden a recumbent.
    >
    > A used recumbent is definitely cheaper; but you may be surprised how little difference there is in
    > the price. Unlike ordinary upright bikes, recumbents routinely command 80% of their new price as a
    > used bike. Demand is white-hot for recumbents. Want a good deal on a recumbent? Get in line.
    >
    > The only SWB that even comes close is a used RANS Rocket. I have one, I love it. It's plenty fast
    > and light and has sporty handling. You can shop hard and possibly find one in good condition for
    > $550 that might be 3 - 4 years old with 1000-2000 miles on it or so. To find a better deal, you'll
    > have to shop hard.
    >
    > Used recumbents can bite you. Unlike upright bikes, recumbents vary wildly in design, weight,
    > comfort, handling and stability. You really don't want to buy a recumbent unless you know what
    > you're getting, and have test ridden one like it.
    >
    > Do some reading using Google to search for various bike brands, see what this group has said
    > about them, and try to whittle down your search to a few models. I just gave you a big clue,
    > since the RANS Rocket is well-loved even by experienced recumbent riders. There are faster bikes,
    > and "better" bikes; but nothing is a better value and more versatile - especially in an SWB -
    > than the Rocket.
    >
    > So, shop hard, do some research, test ride as many as you can, and tell us what you find. Try
    > to come up with some more cash to give yourself an easier time of shopping. You'll thank
    > yourself later.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Barry

    I agree with Barry. The best buy out there right now is a new...2002...old red model Rocket, or
    better yet, a used one with some goodies on it. You will pay about 750.00 to 800.00 bucks. A fast
    bike, and the best climber for the money.

  7. Steve Fox

    Steve Fox Guest

    --------------080701030201090203050109 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    These probably don't match your needs, but...

    LARGE '99 BLACK TOUR EASY: KoolBack Seat, Shram 21 speed grip shift with Deore XT rear, Shimano XTS
    front hubs, Cantilever brake set, Continental kevlar rear tire Blackburn rear rack, Zipp fairing -
    Asking $1100 - AND MEDIUM '00 BLACK TOUR EASY Shram 24 speed grip shift with Deore XT rear, Shimano
    XTS front hubs, KoolBack Seat, Cant. brake set, Blackburn rear rack, Zipp fairing Asking $1500 - We
    will negotiate shipping with consideration to distance and can be reached at [email protected]

    VISION R-42 SWB FOR SALE. Under-seat steering. 16 inch front wheel. 3 x 8 Shimano Deore LX / RX100.
    Vision seat bag. Vetta computer. Black. Excellent condition. Cost $1,600, sell for $ 750 plus
    shipping (803)-438-9520. [email protected] South Carolina.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

    Delete NOSPAM to reply

    --------------080701030201090203050109 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    family="SANSSERIF" face="Arial" lang="0"> LARGE '99 BLACK TOUR EASY:<br> KoolBack Seat, Shram 21
    speed grip shift with Deore XT rear, Shimano XTS front hubs, Cantilever brake set, Continental
    kevlar rear tire<br> Blackburn rear rack, Zipp fairing - Asking $1100 - AND MEDIUM '00 BLACK TOUR
    EASY Shram 24 speed grip shift with Deore XT rear, Shimano XTS front hubs, KoolBack Seat, Cant.
    brake set, Blackburn rear rack, Zipp fairing Asking $1500 - We will negotiate shipping with
    consideration to distance and can be reached at <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
    Under-seat steering. 16 inch front wheel. 3 x 8 Shimano Deore LX / RX100. Vision
    seat bag. Vetta computer. Black. Excellent condition. Cost $1,600, sell for
    $ 750 plus shipping (803)-438-9520. <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">Hi Group, I'm looking for a
    recumbent bike in the next few months. I'm going to be doing a 150 mile race on it in early August.
    I did the same race on a regular (and very beautiful) bike last year and almost died. Everything was
    falling asleep and I was in agony. My question: I presently have about $400 dollars to spend. Is it
    possible to find a recumbent that will meet my needs for this price. Would it be advisable to go
    with a used recumbent? I would prefer the short wheel base, since I've never ridden a recumbent.
    McKinleyville, CA <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
    href="http://members.cox.net/steve.fox">http://members.cox.net/steve.fox</a>

    --------------080701030201090203050109--