Seeking Singlespeed help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Avahi29, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Avahi29

Avahi29 New Member

I'm currently riding a specialized sirrus, but thinking of changing to singlespeed and currently evaluating the options.

Option 1- convert the sirrus with a kit and tensioner ---bit of mod work on the chainrings, rear wheel etc.

Option 2- buy a track bike, like the Fuji and add brakes, freewheel

Option 3- buy a second hand steelie with h. dropouts and either convert the wheel or have a SS one built with a new hub

Option 4 - buy a frame and build it up.

Like to go with the last on a surly steamroller, but most expensive option and would need most work....frame prep and headset installation concern me.

Not so fond of the first as I think this would be a compromise and the Sirrus has an alu frame....kinda jarring on the London potholes/speed bumps.

Looking at 2 and 3 and was wondering if there was a weight of feeling either way. I was also wondering if their is an opinion on the Fuji track and it's ride. I've read that "track" bikes have a more uncomfortable riding position and whether I should find an old steel road frame with a more forgiving geometry.

Cheers for whatever you can give me :)

A

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

Sounds like you need to decide what the priorities are: cost, convenience, niceness of bike, etc.. If you just want to try a singlespeed to see how you like it, going with option 1 or 3 would be the cheapest since you can get old steel bikes pretty cheap. You can overcome the alu frame feel with a little wider tire. If I were looking at a singlespeed for the road and were getting a new bike, I wouldn't go with option 2. Which brings you to option 4, which would be the most fun. I wouldn't be intimidated by the frame prep/headset issue. Almost anyone who sells you the frame can do that for you at a reasonable price (or if you mail order it, you can take it to a local shop and they will do it for a fee) and if you are going the new Surly route, you have already committed to spend some money, so what is a little more to have the headset professionally installed and the frame prepped.

3. slamdunk

slamdunk New Member

If your interested in getting a new single speed bike for the road, but are concerned about the geometry have a look at the Specialized Langster. It's more of a road geometry in a singlespeed package. Pretty good value as well.

www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Langster

4. Avahi29

Avahi29 New Member

Thanks that's really helpful.

John M....Can I ask why you wouldn't go with the Fuji? Is it personal taste or is there something else, like geometry/quality?

I've looked around at other frames, but there seems to be a bit of a lack of options and what there is seems pretty pricey. Any suggestions on makers/retailers. I'm in the uk, so some home based info would be especially helpful.

Additionally 2 other things -- any ideas about getting an SS rear wheel sourced and picking up crank arms, they don't seem all that easy to come by on the sites I've seen.

5. John M

John M New Member

Nothing specific against the Fuji. It is just that some of the benefit of the lower initial cost is lost in adding in the price of brakes/freewheel, and I like the Surly frames are from a smaller manufacturer so some of it is personal taste.

I really don't know where a good source of SS stuff would be in the UK.

Maybe one of the links from the following website would be helpful:

http://www.singlespeed.net/main.mv